Comedians that you just don't get why people think they are funny

Richard Pryor - Not just a legend but probably most people's pick for GOAT comedian. Any time I've tried to watch his material though I just doesn't find anything funny. And I mean literally nothing, I don't think I've laughed at a Richard Pryor joke once. I guess maybe he was the first guy to popularize the modern style of comedy of talking about controversial subjects, like sex, and drugs. He was maybe the first guy to start doing the overly used trope of making jokes about how black and white people are different which is still being used by comics today. Some times these jokes are funny because they are actually true though, whereas a lot of Pryor's jokes didn't even make sense or were just complete made up bs.

Theo Von - Not witty or sharp. His whole gimmick is acting dumb and his fans just eat it up and then say others are the dumb ones for not getting his corny jokes and seeing the genius in what he's doing.

Bernie Mac - Nothing this dude said was funny. He just had a lot of charisma and knew how to play the crowd but his actual jokes? I went and watched his popular "I ain't scared of you" bit he did on def jam after so many people were saying how good it was and I didn't laugh once.

Rickey Smiley - Another comedian I don't get, but I can toss that up to him playing to a certain demographic. I guess if you are not black, especially a black person from the south then you aren't really supposed to get him in the first place.

And of course mostly all of Rogan's comedy friends suck, Ari, Bert, Segura etc as we all know, and I would say the same applies to most of the regulars you see on Kill Tony except David Lucas. Hans Kim is the opposite of Bernie Mac, zero charism or stage presence. Seems like he's autistic but his jokes don't make up for his awkward boring personality. William Montgomery just acts like an annoying crazy white dude who just babbles off about random shit, nothing genius about him. Kam Patterson just plays into a stereotype of a simple ghetto black dude from the south. I knew from the get go he sucked and wasn't gonna be hot for long. People were all on his shit at first then started getting tired of him and are all surprised for some reason. Like you really expected this dumbass dude to come up with new shit and not just milk the same kind of weak low iq jokes for as long as he can?
Don't agree that is all.

I was gonna say Brendan Schaub but then realised no one else finds him funny either.

Steven Wright - never got how folks thought he was funny. He's funny for like first 2 minutes .

I dont know a single person who thinks Brendan Schaub is funny. I've heard other comedians refer to him without using his name as the least funny guy in the business. He's considered a joke in the comedy world.

The reason more comedians don't openly bash him is solely because he's Rogan's buddy. Rogan is very influential in the comedy world, to get on his podcast gives people a huge bump in notability and they all want access to his club in Austin. But it's an open secret that they all hate Schaub and think he has zero talent.

Last edited:
Bill Burr is not that funny. There I said it.

He's likable and relatable, and him going off on that Philly crowd was cool....but he ain't that funny. He would be a better actor than standup, imo, since I think it's his charisma that's really getting him gigs, not his jokes.

I think Burr is a bit overrated. I don't think he's any funnier than similar comics like, say, Christopher Titus. But his material that is good, is often a home run. And as you alluded to, he does seem relatable and has a gritty quality that resonates well the Everyman in the crowd.

Yeah I completely believe Jerry's a better stand-up than Larry. But Larry's a much better TV show writer, and 90% of Jerry's fame came from being on a show where he got credit for Larry's jokes.
Not to mention that, even within the context of the show, the comedic value of the show was largely driven by (1) George, Kramer, and a slew of hilarious secondary characters, and (2) the brilliant writing. I think Seinfeld is smart and somewhat funny, but if any comedian ever lucked out, it was him.

Last edited:
Ive come to the conclusion women comedians can be funny if they rarely talk about sex and dating. All the unfunny women comedians act is really them just telling you about their dating life. And I think thats what people really don't enjoy.

Funny female comedians exist(Maria Manford, for example). But it seems the only ones who get a big media push are the ones doing the "muh vagina" act, which is beyond played-out at this point.

Our opinion doesn't madder anyway.

Ricky Gervais. I liked The Office and Extras but his stand up is just not very funny to me.

Bill Hicks. Fairly Interesting to watch but just not funny at all to me.

Norm McDonald

I still don't get him. Was he ironically trying to be unfunny and that is what made him funny? Or is he playing a character of an unfunny comedian? If so, why did he never go out of character?

I find it wild that basically ALL comics have him pegged as a genius.
I think he's funny but I do think a lot of people overrate him or exaggerate just how funny or genius he is. His fans kinda remind me of theo von fans but I won't say quite as bad because Norm is a much better comic than Theo

Much of his material is anti-comedy, which people who do comedy for a living find hilarious. Sometimes he'll tell a long, meandering story only to end it with a dad joke. And that's the joke.

He also did dark humor very well. I find this fucking hilarious. He's doing an obvious parody of Marlo Brando, which makes you want to laugh, but he's also calling attention to real horrific events in American history.

Yeah, I get how some of his stuff could be funny but the most surprising part is how it's almost unanimous that he's amazing. I'd think he'd be on the marginal side.

And all the other "comic's comic" stand ups I do love. Patrice O'Neal, Greg Giraldo, Dave Attell, I get all their stuff. Norm I don't get.

What Hispanic comedians do you find funny? I feel like some are funny but mostly they make jokes that nobody else really is gonna think is funny other than actual Hispanic people
Raul Sanchez
V

Ralph Barbosa has some good bits. He is young, plenty of time to grow into a solid comic if he keeps it up. (Currently I think he is a little hit and miss, but better than the pack)
His folding clothes at Target joke shows he can put a little thought into a joke and that he understands perspective. And his delivery and cadence/persona works for him.

I agree that there are a lot of demographic specific comics and many many hacks among them that offer very little in the way of intellectual stimulation.
"Why do Mexicans be like ____?"
Not my cup of tea.

This dude is decent. By no means elite, but good for a chuckle or two,

Last edited:
Yeah, I get how some of his stuff could be funny but the most surprising part is how it's almost unanimous that he's amazing. I'd think he'd be on the marginal side.

And all the other "comic's comic" stand ups I do love. Patrice O'Neal, Greg Giraldo, Dave Attell, I get all their stuff. Norm I don't get.

He was the comedian's comedian. His jokes appeal to people who do comedy for a living or absorb tons of it. Probably not so much for casual audiences.

Going on a talk show and making up a long, meandering story on the spot that ends in a dad joke may not appear funny to a casual observer. But to comedians it is hysterical.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back