Colorado/Boulder Grapplers

Sobchak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I recently moved from Atlanta, GA to Boulder, Colorado. I really didn't have the money to sustain training at the prices of my old gym back home, and the only semi-decent gym I've seen here in Boulder is A) unfriendly, and B) $185 a month. That's 60 bucks more than the premier BJJ club in the southeast, which I was already attending. I can't swing that. Are there any reputable Boulder BJJ clubs around for a more moderate price? I could drive as far as Denver for a quality training experience, though I would prefer not to.

Which school did you check out in Boulder? I know there are a few in that area. If you didn't like anything there, the next closest schools are Zingano's in Broomfield or Dark Horse in Longmont.

If you decide to make the drive to Denver to train, Colorado BJJ or Easton's are the places to go.

Unfortunately BJJ is pricey in Colorado. There are cheap places but I don't know of any in the boulder area. I would try Easton Arvada or Darkhorse (Longmont)... both schools have a pretty warm atmosphere and are run by instructors that are highly respected. Black belts drive from all over the area to train with either of these guys. Definitely try both.

If you don't like anything in Boulder, Dark Horse is your best option by far.

If you can drive to Brighton Zingano BJJ is having a sign up special.

$100/month.

And you can train 1 time per week at either the larger Broomfield Zingano BJJ facility and also 1 time per week at the Colorado BJJ facilities. VERY GOOD DEAL.

If you can make it do it soon because we're going to be moving in to a new facility before the end of the year and prices will go up from there.

$185 is a lot but you have access to the academy to train multiple times a day, seven days a week and access to all the other academies under that instructor. When i think back to the money i spent on drinking/eating out, i would have much rather spent that towards jiu jitsu...even expensive jiu jitsu. Sadly, they didn't have such a great academy anywhere near me when i first began. Calculate in the money spent on gas/car depreciation for traveling to another academy 30-45 mins away and you are probably better off training there in Boulder anyhow.

Unfortunately BJJ is pricey in Colorado. There are cheap places but I don't know of any in the boulder area. I would try Easton Arvada or Darkhorse (Longmont)... both schools have a pretty warm atmosphere and are run by instructors that are highly respected. Black belts drive from all over the area to train with either of these guys. Definitely try both.

I've heard good things about Easton. One of my buddies said it's a good gym with a good atmosphere and a lot of knowledge. However, I drive to Longmont for some classes 3x a week anyway, so I may go that route.
If you don't like anything in Boulder, Dark Horse is your best option by far.
Especially considering this opinion.

If you can drive to Brighton Zingano BJJ is having a sign up special.

$100/month.

And you can train 1 time per week at either the larger Broomfield Zingano BJJ facility and also 1 time per week at the Colorado BJJ facilities. VERY GOOD DEAL.

If you can make it do it soon because we're going to be moving in to a new facility before the end of the year and prices will go up from there.

Sounds like a good gym. Depending on how the rates/gas to get there run me, I'll consider it. It's nearly 100% money based right now, but I'll swing by both places to see what the best investment is.
$185 is a lot but you have access to the academy to train multiple times a day, seven days a week and access to all the other academies under that instructor. When i think back to the money i spent on drinking/eating out, i would have much rather spent that towards jiu jitsu...even expensive jiu jitsu. Sadly, they didn't have such a great academy anywhere near me when i first began. Calculate in the money spent on gas/car depreciation for traveling to another academy 30-45 mins away and you are probably better off training there in Boulder anyhow.

Even if it was a steal, I'd still be unable to swing it. I'm seriously eating $1/lb chicken thighs, and an economy sack of rice all this month. Can't afford to eat out...:icon_cry2

Thanks for the input, all. If anyone else has something to contribute, please do.

I recently moved from Atlanta, GA to Boulder, Colorado. I really didn't have the money to sustain training at the prices of my old gym back home, and the only semi-decent gym I've seen here in Boulder is A) unfriendly, and B) $185 a month. That's 60 bucks more than the premier BJJ club in the southeast, which I was already attending. I can't swing that. Are there any reputable Boulder BJJ clubs around for a more moderate price? I could drive as far as Denver for a quality training experience, though I would prefer not to.

May I ask what school you went to in Boulder that was unfriendly?

May I ask what school you went to in Boulder that was unfriendly?

I have an idea because I've heard rumors of this as well.

Pailum you can PM me if you want to know who I think it is so I'm not starting shit over the internet.

As others have stated, quality BJJ here in Colorado is expensive.

I don't think Easton Arvada would be much cheaper than the pricing mentioned by the TS in his original post, but I've also heard good things about the atmosphere there. Zingano BJJ (where I train) is awesome, and if you are willing to trek to Brighton, $100/month is a GREAT deal. Can't comment on Dark Horse as I don't know anyone who trains there. There are a couple of other MMA/BJJ schools up and down the I-25 corridor, but nothing super close to Boulder. Good luck man.

As others have stated, quality BJJ here in Colorado is expensive.

I don't think Easton Arvada would be much cheaper than the pricing mentioned by the TS in his original post, but I've also heard good things about the atmosphere there. Zingano BJJ (where I train) is awesome, and if you are willing to trek to Brighton, $100/month is a GREAT deal. Can't comment on Dark Horse as I don't know anyone who trains there. There are a couple of other MMA/BJJ schools up and down the I-25 corridor, but nothing super close to Boulder. Good luck man.

The Easton BJJ main school is in Boulder...

Zingano sounds like the safest bet thus far. I'll scope out Darkhorse and see what their rates are like. I'll keep you posted if I come to a decision. Thanks, all.

Zingano's is great. Quality instruction, great facility, and very high level guys pass through there.

Dark Horse I believe is ran by Matt Jubera (sp?) and Andrew... I don't know Matt but I know Andrew ans his jiu jitsu is sweet and incredibly smooth... and he's a hell of a nice guy. And for whatever it's worth Andrew is a bb under Easton.

A third option might be Home Last I remember Erwin, the head instructor, was a brown under Easton. I spent some time training there and I was quite happy with the quality of instruction.

How long have you been training??? Some schools will let struggling students do work/study programs... just a thought.

Good luck.

Back