College level BJJ

anchorfree

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey all,

I found out the other day that apparently my college (Georgia Southern) has BJJ classes three times a week. Their 'web page' is just a small paragraph about the club but Ive heard from some friends that it free classes.

This is what it says on the club sport site:

Established in 2000 by Mike Renfroe. Jiu-Jitsu is a sport of ground defense that is similar to Olympic wrestling and Judo. The Grappling club has competed in many state, national, and internationally recognized competitions. In these competitions the members have been very successful. The goal for all members of the grappling club is to become as proficient as possible in the self-defense art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. All members of the club are taught through the foundations of Jiu-Jitsu to be patient, self-confident, and self-reliant.

There is also contact info about a guy named Eric Sullivan. Has anyone had any experience with Eric or Mike? I have sent an email and waiting for a response. I have never done jiu jitsu but I love watching it in MMA and I would love to learn it.

Can anyone share any experiences if they took brazilian jiu jitsu in a college before? Or any experiences with the guys listed above? Thanks for reading

Last edited:
I started out training BJJ through college. It was an awesome experience. DO IT!

I live in Ga and I go to Georgia Gwinnett College, but I've never heard of those guys. I'm not saying they aren't legit, I'm probably just too far away.

if you can train for free jump on it. Even if its a blue belt running class(not saying it is) your bound to learn somethings and get a great workout all for free and you will see if its something you will enjoy, did i mention you should try it because its FREE

if you can train for free jump on it. Even if its a blue belt running class(not saying it is) your bound to learn somethings and get a great workout all for free and you will see if its something you will enjoy, did i mention you should try it because its FREE

True the only thing better than rolling is rolling for free try it you might like it.:D

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, if its free then that would be awesome.

414180445_ca19fe79db.jpg

Actually found a picture by searching on google for the gsu jj team. I can see a blue belt and a purple belt, and I believe thats a brown belt in the lower right, I'm just wondering if they are legit :icon_surp

Oh and from that article:
"There is no participation fee for current Georgia Southern students. " :icon_chee

The article that I got the picture from is 3 years old though, so I hope its still true

Last edited:
Went there recently where it was more of an info kind of meeting. It is 75 dollars a semester like the other club sports at my school, and the coach there is a purple belt and a few guys there blue belts. I was told that they do mostly no-gi though. I have a 2 weeks try out to see if I want to join or not, so I'm going to try to go this week and check it out.

Would a purple belt make a good coach for an absolute beginner in grappling?

Would a purple belt make a good coach for an absolute beginner in grappling?

It depends on the purple belt. The skills of a purple belt are more than enough to help a beginner advance if he can teach well. If he is a bad teacher, I guess belt level doesn't even matter, you won't advance very far. But yes, a purple belt should be adequate for a beginner, especially at that cost and if there is nobody else around.

Back