Collar thickness

The Colonel

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm curious on what the thoughts are on the forum about super thick collars, such as with Howard's Combat Kimonos and others.

Personally I look at having a super thick collar, as not necessarily cheating, but if you have a thin collar it definitely keeps you honest, makes you have to defend chokes that much more diligently.

I've never worn a gi with a thick collar (I wear an Atama golden weave that is starting to have seen better days) and I'm just curious for those guys that wear thick collared gi's, how do you feel about them?

Recently I was rolling with a purple belt and was in the perfect position to clock choke him, but it was just nothing doing because he had on this ridiculously thick collar, it was like four times as thick as mine or something.

I know it probably sounds hypocritical (especially since competition gi's have tapered sleeves, golden or platinum weaves, are tight fitting and so forth) but I just look at having some thick ass collar as coming sort of close to cheating. Thoughts?

I think it's best if you can train with a thin collar so you don't get used to the safety net, but in tournaments push the limits and get every advantage you can with your gi because everyone else will.

i have a ludicrously thick collar and i hate it... my gi stands up all by itself

Back