Colby Covington should be ranked below Ian Garry

blaseblase

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The rankings at welterweight are fucking embarrassing. Colby literally doesn't have a single win over anyone not on a two fight losing streak, and also not anyone who isnt currently retired, since 2018. That was 6 fucking years ago. Someone please explain how this guy is still in the top 5?

Really, there needs to be minimum 10 tier ranking drop when a challenger loses, maybe 5 when a champ loses. The whole challenger holding #1 spot is so dumb.

Honestly, the rankings are dumb in general. Maybe they just need to go completely.

I deduced that you must be referencing UFC current rankings; which I can assure you, are fabricated, with emphasis on creating "interest", rather than illuminating who "is/are" the highest ranked contenders available.
Please, allow me to redirect you to a most credible resource, located right here in your very own Sherdog.com

Last edited:
Really, there needs to be minimum 10 tier ranking drop when a challenger loses, maybe 5 when a champ loses. The whole challenger holding #1 spot is so dumb.

Honestly, the rankings are dumb in general. Maybe they just need to go completely.
Colby got the Dana White privilege when he had a close loss to Usman and he still benefits off of that performance to this day. Which makes no fucking sense at all. He should have to fight, and he should be ranked below every fighter he dodges.

Colby should be ranked lower than Garry? I disagree. Colby shouldn't be ranked at all.

If his 14 month break wasn't ineligibility, his averaging over 9 months between each fight since he got into the title scene means he's semi-retired

The rankings at welterweight are fucking embarrassing. Colby literally doesn't have a single win over anyone not on a two fight losing streak, and also not anyone who isnt currently retired, since 2018. That was 6 fucking years ago. Someone please explain how this guy is still in the top 5?
I completely disagree with your post. Colby Covington shouldn't be ranked at all.

Covington is a time waster. Wants to only fight guys in lower division because he can't beat the top guys at 170.

The "journalists" who "vote" for this ranking thing are fatter and more heavily neckbeared than those hot take dudes who do way too long video previews for sherdog. =/= not to be taken seriously

While I agree and Colby’s ass should be long gone from the rankings.
Let me play devils advocate here. Colby’s last fight was for the title. Ian Garry’s last win was against MVP, a guy who wasn’t even in the ufc 2 fights ago.

It’s not great either way.

While I agree and Colby’s ass should be long gone from the rankings.
Let me play devils advocate here. Colby’s last fight was for the title. Ian Garry’s last win was against MVP, a guy who wasn’t even in the ufc 2 fights ago.

It’s not great either way.
Or a more reasonable way of looking at the situation: Ian Garry took a rough stylistic matchup against a pure striker who literally did nothing for him, did not move him up the rankings in any way whatsoever. While Colby sat out for a year and a half to get a free title shot.

Colby ducking Garry hard and then Garry beating someone outside the top 10 and not moving up in the rankings at all is fucking hysterical. The guy should write a book on how to duck and how to con everyone for 4 years into believing you are still a top contender. Garry should have refused that matchup, but he wasn't a coward like Colby is.

Colby Covington and Michael Chandler are both anomalies in the UFC rankings.

Both haven’t beat a single fighter in the top 20 yet they’re both ranked in the top 10. These 2 are ranked literally for losing against ranked opponents.
It’s a joke.
Not really big anomalies , the UFC has random inactive guys ranked pretty often. Cruz and Stipe are ranked also.

Chandler beat Dan Hooker, who is certainly well within the top 20.

Colby should be removed for inactivity and cut if he doesn’t take a fight tbe UFC decides on. His cherry-picking from the sidelines is ridiculous. Calling out Ian then ducking should have been the last straw

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Old Scratch
Back