• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Coker’s final FU to PFL

I'll tell you what I do know

People like you (and there are a lot of people like you on this site) refuse to think outside the box a little bit and double down on the flaws people like me point out in your reasoning.

I'll make it super simple and I'm moving on from this conversation.

• Gegard Mousasi is close to 39 years old
  • He only has a few fights left in his career
  • Even if Coker was going to release him, it was up to Mousasi and his team to find an organization and contract so he can keep fighting and make SOME money
  • Instead Coker used him and other fighters as a pawns, kept them locked in contracts knowing the new owners may have difficulty paying them
  • Moose and other fighters have been locked into contracts for months and are making 0 money
In case you need help with math, some money is more than 0 money
You talking like Coker signed him against his will

Coker did nothing wrong. Securing fighters contracts increase the value of the company. A deal is made when the deal is made. Didn’t PRIDE secure a bunch of contracts to increase the value before the UFC acquired it? lol @ blaming Coker. The only value in the company was the fighters contracts and that’s why they didn’t wait for them to expire the next month (to avoid competing for the fighters).

It’s Davis and PFL who could have let the contracts expire a month later (all of them) and allowed bidding (which would have been best for the fighters). They specifically did this to hold fighters hostage under the guise of “everyone will keep their job and we will honor all the contracts”. “Eventually we might release fighters for normal reasons but for now everyone will be taken care of blah blah”. They made it sound like they were some kind of savior with the best intentions when they really were cock blocking them to test the market.

I would have to see time frames with this. Seems too isolated to be Coker trying to screw PFL. He could have done far more if that was his intent.

The most hilarious timeline with this would be if they argue that Gegard's contract is invalid because it was signed by Bellator brass and then it's ruled that all contracts signed under Bellator are therefore invalid and AJ, Patricio, Patchy, Novenyi, Eblen, Nemkov, Usmanz Shabliy etc all become free agents too

Would love to see Mousasi sign with Rizin for a fight or two, beyond Rizin I can't see any other major promotions trying to sign him. Part of the reason why Bellator being acquired sucks for the sport.

I think ONE is done making major acquisitions after DJ/Alvarez they don't seem to be playing that game anymore.

The only real alternative is bare knuckle boxing and it just doesn't pique my interest like Mousasi fighting in MMA does. Really sad.

Coker did nothing wrong. Securing fighters contracts increase the value of the company. A deal is made when the deal is made. Didn’t PRIDE secure a bunch of contracts to increase the value before the UFC acquired it? lol @ blaming Coker. The only value in the company was the fighters contracts and that’s why they didn’t wait for them to expire the next month (to avoid competing for the fighters).

It’s Davis and PFL who could have let the contracts expire a month later (all of them) and allowed bidding (which would have been best for the fighters). They specifically did this to hold fighters hostage under the guise of “everyone will keep their job and we will honor all the contracts”. “Eventually we might release fighters for normal reasons but for now everyone will be taken care of blah blah”. They made it sound like they were some kind of savior with the best intentions when they really were cock blocking them to test the market.

I would have to see time frames with this. Seems too isolated to be Coker trying to screw PFL. He could have done far more if that was his intent.
Coker did nothing wrong, lol

He only got people to sign contracts he never had any intention of honoring. Great honest business practices there.

How many more MMA organizations does this guy have to sink before you guys take him off this pedestal you put him on?

He only got people to sign contracts he never had any intention of honoring. Great honest business practices there.

How many more MMA organizations does this guy have to sink before you guys take him off this pedestal you put him on?
I’m not worshiping Scott here, I think he did a terrible job in so many ways. My point of contention is he and the entire organization were left in the dark about what was happening. I highly doubt this was done with any malicious intent. It wouldn’t make sense because fighters that have contracts prior are facing the same issues. It also doesn’t explain why so many fighters were let go when they said otherwise.

PFL is the one being shady here. No matter how trash Scott is I’m failing to see this being some sort of “gotcha” move on the way out. Once again thePFL knew what they were doing and getting. They could have waited a month for all contracts to expire and just bid on the guys they wanted. They intentionally locked things down and didn’t keep their word with the fighters they brought over. They held on to Gegard to low ball him and only let him go when he made too much noise.

Go listen to that slime ball Donn Davis on Ariel after the merger. “Nobody knew until that day the deal was happening” “all fighters will keep their jobs EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM” and the endless other bullshit he spewed. The guy contradicts himself amazingly so since.

Last edited:

There's no concrete evidence of this other than a media guy said he heard from a company man that xyz.

Whenever a company takes over they often have to terminate employees, cut ties with contractors, etc to become leaner and meaner. EVEN IF their story was wholly true, they are not the victims in this situation whatsoever. Week 1 of the acquisition, they could have looked at the balance sheet, wow there's a lot of recent dead weight by Coker, ok let's call up all the fighters with bad contracts and say "hey, sorry, we're going separate ways." MMA contracts are very employer friendly and it wouldn't have been hard to do. Instead they ice these guys for 6 months, hoping that they will voluntarily reconsider their own contracts? That's not being forced by Scott Coker to do anything, that's just wanting to have your cake and eat it too, turns out it didn't work.

There's no concrete evidence of this other than a media guy said he heard from a company man that xyz.

Whenever a company takes over they often have to terminate employees, cut ties with contractors, etc to become leaner and meaner. EVEN IF their story was wholly true, they are not the victims in this situation whatsoever. Week 1 of the acquisition, they could have looked at the balance sheet, wow there's a lot of recent dead weight by Coker, ok let's call up all the fighters with bad contracts and say "hey, sorry, we're going separate ways." MMA contracts are very employer friendly and it wouldn't have been hard to do. Instead they ice these guys for 6 months, hoping that they will voluntarily reconsider their own contracts? That's not being forced by Scott Coker to do anything, that's just wanting to have your cake and eat it too, turns out it didn't work.
Not only that but the PR campaign as an mma savior that didn’t wait for contracts to expire to protect EVERY SINGLE FIGHTER claiming they would all be secured and honored. The first week was all Donn Davis lying through his teeth.

Start @ 10:05 in the video

Last edited:
Coker did his job and kept the big names that PFL craved. Not his fault PFL lied about their funds. They are still lying.. to keep stars from ufc you must pay big time.

Bellator was dead in the water. It was going no where.

This is what happens when your owned by a massive media company. You don't come through on your end they more or less put you out in the pasture. They weren't even able to sell Bellator. They basically folded for some PFL stock in the end.

No doubt Bellator was better than PFL. But at least PFL is run by people with a vision. We may not all agree with this vision but at least they are putting up the money and doing things. Who knows if it will all pay off in the end but at least they are trying.
Sorry I do not see 'a vision'.. not even close I see them trying many things like throwing things at the wall seeing if something sticks. Leagues, season tourneys, no vision... just a mess.

Sorry I do not see 'a vision'.. not even close I see them trying many things like throwing things at the wall seeing if something sticks. Leagues, season tourneys, no vision... just a mess.
They've had what, 6 years to "fulfill" their vision, right? At this point we can safely say they're just going to be around until the Saudis get tired.

PFL isn't magically going to start turning a profit just because they acquired Bellator, another promotion that struggled with being profitable despite being a stronger brand.

I don't think Moose has many places to go because of his pay. I don't think the UFC wants him back either. He probably costs too much for ONE. He got up to 200k for his UFC fights. I am assuming he is getting paid a lot more nowadays. He wasn't going to jump ship to Bellator for little pay.
He can probably get some paydays in Japan

Highly doubtful. RIZIN isn’t interested in signing over the hill foreign fighters. They’ve been focused almost entirely on pleasing their domestic audience, which means very little above lightweight

Rizin is kind operates like a regional org nowadays. They do splurge for new years but it's for mega stars. Their line up is not really international. There are some international fighters but it's not like the old days. That talent pool isn't that deep and I don't think they even have Moose's weight class. Rizin is like a scandal away from folding. Few months ago they got a "loan" from people who were suspected of embezzling money from a construction company.

ONE at least pretends they have a MW-HW stable with their 5-10 competitors that change weight classes all the time. I don't think they have the funds to sign Moose either. I don't know how much those Russian or Polish orgs are paying. Moose isn't suitable for BKFC. Karate combat is a suitable option.

Last edited:

I don't think any of us knows there exact plans, but been a long time since we had org actually swallow up another big org. They obviously have some sort of a plan and have group that is looking to do big things. So many orgs outside of the UFC have just become stale and none of them are much of player in free agency. PFL seems to be the only one trying to do something on a larger scale.

I think right now its little murky because of having to fulfill the media deals of Bellator for this year and by they time they swallowed up Bellator their tournament season was getting ready to kick off.

It seems apparent the plans are to hold the season tournaments, have "x" amount of stand alone events, hold 2 PPV's a year, and continue to build these PFL Europe, Africa, etc. thing to help feed the main PFL brand.

P.S.: Personally, I wish they'd move away from doing a tournament for every weight class every year. Maybe do two or three weight classes a year and hold a few more stand alone events. Those millions saved could go a long ways in securing more talent and allow some of your talent to shine outside of a tournament setting in these stand alone events.

Mousasi would have to take a pay cut to end up back in UFC and thats if they want him. BKFC, maybe some boxing in Europe, KSW, Rizin. Maybe they'd be players.

Back