Cod liver oil

Gsoares2***

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok i bought it and ive been taking it for 2 weeks now.
my problem is i did not refrigerate it.

I leave it on my work desk in its dark colored bottle... and everyday when i get here i take a swig of it. Today when i took a swig i ntoiced the little lable that says refridgerate after opening. How can i tell if the stuff has gone rancid? Is it ruined? should i chuck it and get a new bottle?

I mean it doesnt taste good but it doesnt taste like im drinking something rotten...
I cant really refridgerate it here at work.. so maybe i wont be taking it at all.

comments?

I wouldn't take it.

It's too much of a fine line between good and rancid.

Gsoares2 said:
Ok i bought it and ive been taking it for 2 weeks now.
my problem is i did not refrigerate it.

I leave it on my work desk in its dark colored bottle... and everyday when i get here i take a swig of it. Today when i took a swig i ntoiced the little lable that says refridgerate after opening. How can i tell if the stuff has gone rancid? Is it ruined? should i chuck it and get a new bottle?

I mean it doesnt taste good but it doesnt taste like im drinking something rotten...
I cant really refridgerate it here at work.. so maybe i wont be taking it at all.

comments?

take it before going to work.. and when u get home..

has the taste changed since u first started taking it, to now?.. has it gotten more fishy tasting than before? what about more watery/liquidy? cuz that's how u know flaxseed oil has gone rancid.. dunno too much about cod liver oil..

Why don't you buy capsules instead and then you wouldn't have this problem?

This is why i dont take the capsuls... 10-15 a day.
I weigh 210lbs!

Dosage & Other Recommendations

Take one teaspoon of Carlson's liquid oil for every 50 pounds of body weight daily.

For Carlson's Cod Liver Oil Softgels with Low Vitamin A, I highly recommend taking one softgel for every ten pounds of body weight. However, do not exceed more than15 pills per day -- unless you have had your fatty acid levels tested.

You can also use a wine saver to create a vacuum to better preserve your fish oil. Simply transfer your fish oil to a bottle that fits the wine saver cap (many conventional containers). The Vacu Vin Wine Saver, available at Amazon.com, is an exceptional choice (and a great gift for anyone who enjoys wine, too), as it allows you to pump out the air inside the bottle prior to sealing, it is very durable, and costs under $15.00.

For other questions regarding the use and benefits of fish oil/cod liver oil, please visit our frequently asked questions area on this topic.....

From http://www.mercola.com/forms/carlsons.htm

Gsoares2 said:
This is why i dont take the capsuls... 10-15 a day.
I weigh 210lbs!

Dosage & Other Recommendations

Take one teaspoon of Carlson's liquid oil for every 50 pounds of body weight daily.

For Carlson's Cod Liver Oil Softgels with Low Vitamin A, I highly recommend taking one softgel for every ten pounds of body weight. However, do not exceed more than15 pills per day -- unless you have had your fatty acid levels tested.

You can also use a wine saver to create a vacuum to better preserve your fish oil. Simply transfer your fish oil to a bottle that fits the wine saver cap (many conventional containers). The Vacu Vin Wine Saver, available at Amazon.com, is an exceptional choice (and a great gift for anyone who enjoys wine, too), as it allows you to pump out the air inside the bottle prior to sealing, it is very durable, and costs under $15.00.

For other questions regarding the use and benefits of fish oil/cod liver oil, please visit our frequently asked questions area on this topic.....

From http://www.mercola.com/forms/carlsons.htm

what?!.. 10-15 caps a day?.. how big are these capsules? and what are the omega-3 amounts in each?.. cuz i have costco fish oil 1g with 180mg of EPA and 120mg of DHA.. and at most i take about 4 a day.. but i usually just go with either 3 sometimes 2 if i forget to drink one in the afternoon..

I like GNC's fish capsule. They have a "Double Strength Fish Body Oil" which has 360 mg of EPA, and 240 mg of DHA in one capsule. Also, it is not that expensive. $17.99 for 90 capsule that is about double the strength of all other brands.

BTW, don't over do it on the Cod Liver. It has a high dosage of Vit D... you don't want to OD on it. Seriously it has happened more then you think. Especially if you are in an area where you get plenty of sun.

Wolverine
///

I live in Florida and i have dark skin from my fathers side of the family. Portugese

Carlson's is probably the biggest name in the fish oil... i see it everywhere. gnc, vitaminshoppe, online.
The capsuls are norm.. i suppose with the 3x and 2x strength you would have to take 1/3 or 1/2.

But still for 2x thats 10 pills for my body weight...

Gsoares2 said:
I live in Florida and i have dark skin from my fathers side of the family. Portugese

Carlson's is probably the biggest name in the fish oil... i see it everywhere. gnc, vitaminshoppe, online.
The capsuls are norm.. i suppose with the 3x and 2x strength you would have to take 1/3 or 1/2.

But still for 2x thats 10 pills for my body weight...

I also read Mercola's stuff and I generally like what he teaches. But the amount of fish oil that he wants people to consume is insane. Fish oil is great but I am not sure the amount he specifies is necassary, unless you have a shitty diet.

Wolverine
///

ew man that stuff is nasty if u dont drink enough water with it lol. later on u will start burping out this nasty raw fish taste aha.

--Shogun-- said:
ew man that stuff is nasty if u dont drink enough water with it lol. later on u will start burping out this nasty raw fish taste aha.

All the more reason to take it before you go to bed. I really don't understand why more people don't think of doing somthing as simple as this.

i get cinnamon flavor from Greenpastures.com
Doesnt taste bad at all.. i mean its oil.. but no fishy ness.

Back