Coconut Oil And Constipation

dza76wutang

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I started adding coconut oil to my morning protein shake and I've noticed my last few bowel movements have been more challenging than usual. I know that coconut oil is basically solid at room temperature and gets rock hard if you cool it, but it should liquefy during digestion, no? Not only that but it's a fat so it should smooth things out and act as a lube, so I don't understand why the bowels have been bound. Here's what goes into the shake:
Milk
Whey Powder
Chia Seed
Frozen Raspberries
Greens Concentrate Powder
Greek Yogurt (sometimes)

Prior to the Coconut Oil this never caused bind ups, in fact I was taking rather large albeit easy dumps. Enter the coconut oil and it feels like I'm passing bricks. I know coconut oil is healthy but am I using it wrong? Are you supposed to only use it when you're cooking (i.e. high temps)?

Are you drinking lots of water and eating enough fiber??

First things first, why chia seeds? I've never seen a chia seed that holds a candle to flax realistically, and they're more expensive.

Here's one possible theory:

Are you actually IN ketosis? If you haven't measured it, I'd check. Reason being is that when the body is in ketosis there are noted times when bowel movements may become solid because with lowered blood-glucose and using ketones for fuel, the body releases most of its water, leaving everything dried-out inside. This happened to me personally when I was down to 142. And one property of MCT's is they can force a person into ketosis if they're not already into it, which would lead to further dehydration.

Other than that, I can't think of why just the additional fat would have this property unless for some reason your body just doesn't break down the combination of fats in coconut oil very well. It's not impossible, just rare, if that's the case.

However, usually when dried out from being in ketosis water is usually the answer, or water and more electrolytes. You can also add in fiber as suggested above given it has fuck-all for insulin response.

When I was in ketosis (intentionally), I had much of the same problem. I was very backed up. I added a fiber supp to the diet, it helped a bit bit still would only have one bowel movement every 2 days.

Yikes. I can't imagine going less than 3 times per day. You can set your watch by me.

First things first, why chia seeds? I've never seen a chia seed that holds a candle to flax realistically, and they're more expensive.

Here's one possible theory:

Are you actually IN ketosis? If you haven't measured it, I'd check. Reason being is that when the body is in ketosis there are noted times when bowel movements may become solid because with lowered blood-glucose and using ketones for fuel, the body releases most of its water, leaving everything dried-out inside. This happened to me personally when I was down to 142. And one property of MCT's is they can force a person into ketosis if they're not already into it, which would lead to further dehydration.

Other than that, I can't think of why just the additional fat would have this property unless for some reason your body just doesn't break down the combination of fats in coconut oil very well. It's not impossible, just rare, if that's the case.

However, usually when dried out from being in ketosis water is usually the answer, or water and more electrolytes. You can also add in fiber as suggested above given it has fuck-all for insulin response.

I swore I read that the chia seeds were superior to flax...that's why I use them instead.

Your ketosis/dehydration observation might be doing it. I don't feel thirsty and I probably put down 6-8 liters of water per day so do I need even more water or should I just add fiber? I'm going to nix the coconut oil for a few days and see what it does to my movements.

add some psyllium into your diet and you'll probably notice a difference

This is why I love sherdog. You can have a serious discussion about dropping turds

I thought coconut oil was a laxative? or was that an added laugh in the movie Castaway lol

I eat coconut oil straight out of the container. Three tablespoons a day at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You aren't using it wrong.

I have no experience with keto diets, so I can't offer any advice with that. But 6 - 8 liters is like 1.5 - 2 gallons I think. That's a lot of water.

I'm like Sinister, I drop a deuce like clockwork. Three times a day, right after breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Can someone explain the reason for using both coconut oil and flax or chia in the same shake? I thought the purpose of all was just the healthy fats. What's the reason for using both?

I put coconut oil in my shakes and I do not get constipated. I have UC, though, so I would not complain if my poop stiffened up some.

Can someone explain the reason for using both coconut oil and flax or chia in the same shake? I thought the purpose of all was just the healthy fats. What's the reason for using both?

I put coconut oil in my shakes and I do not get constipated. I have UC, though, so I would not complain if my poop stiffened up some.

Chia adds a little omega-3 and fiber, coconut oil is almost pure medium chain triglycerides which are great for the body for energy AFAIK. I had no idea about them promoting ketosis. I knew bodybuilders used it for calories during cutting phases but I assumed that was just because it was a carb free but tastes good, as opposed to overloading with plant oils/sat fats. I'm going to research this now.

Chia adds a little omega-3 and fiber, coconut oil is almost pure medium chain triglycerides which are great for the body for energy AFAIK. I had no idea about them promoting ketosis. I knew bodybuilders used it for calories during cutting phases but I assumed that was just because it was a carb free but tastes good, as opposed to overloading with plant oils/sat fats. I'm going to research this now.

OK, thanks, dza.

I just found a study done on rats, apparently MCTs can throw you way the fuck in Ketosis lol. That's probably what bound me up.

Sinister, you're the master of living in ketosis how do you keep your insides moving?

In my opinion Chia seeds are superior to flax if you're talking fiber. The omega 3's really aren't a factor, because by the time your body actually breaks it down, you're really not getting much, which is why fish oil is so important to get those 3's. I used flax for awhile and saw no improvement in my constipation even with psyllium. Add in the chia seeds and voila, no more problems. I also like that they are high in selenium. yeah they're more expensive, but if it does what you need it to, then you're not wasting your money.

In my opinion Chia seeds are superior to flax if you're talking fiber. The omega 3's really aren't a factor, because by the time your body actually breaks it down, you're really not getting much, which is why fish oil is so important to get those 3's. I used flax for awhile and saw no improvement in my constipation even with psyllium. Add in the chia seeds and voila, no more problems. I also like that they are high in selenium. yeah they're more expensive, but if it does what you need it to, then you're not wasting your money.

To probably misuse what I learned in economics, I'm not price-sensitive to the difference and prefer chia to flax, and it's because chia seems to keep the pipes clear better.

I just found a study done on rats, apparently MCTs can throw you way the fuck in Ketosis lol. That's probably what bound me up.

Sinister, you're the master of living in ketosis how do you keep your insides moving?

I don't go fully into ketosis unless I'm cutting. I stay close to it, very close, but not all the way. Give you an idea, last year when I cut to fight (which still kills me because the opponent chumped the fuck out, so I went through this shit and all I got out of it was a free License, which is good...eh, I'm ranting), I got down to 142, two days before the bout. That week was when I couldn't go for the life of me. But I know I was dried out. I normally walk around between 152-156, and my body fat is never above 7-8%. So when getting very strict, and the body goes deep into ketosis, the last of the water you have in you will drain, and stool turns to stone.

In daily life I still keep carbs to a minimum, but I also implement electrolytes, fiber, enough fats, etc. Things move smoothly, at spookily similar times every day.

I don't go fully into ketosis unless I'm cutting. I stay close to it, very close, but not all the way. Give you an idea, last year when I cut to fight (which still kills me because the opponent chumped the fuck out, so I went through this shit and all I got out of it was a free License, which is good...eh, I'm ranting), I got down to 142, two days before the bout. That week was when I couldn't go for the life of me. But I know I was dried out. I normally walk around between 152-156, and my body fat is never above 7-8%. So when getting very strict, and the body goes deep into ketosis, the last of the water you have in you will drain, and stool turns to stone.

In daily life I still keep carbs to a minimum, but I also implement electrolytes, fiber, enough fats, etc. Things move smoothly, at spookily similar times every day.

Ah I see. I must have accidentally wandered into ketosis then. I have been consciously lowering my carb intake to as low as feasible without extraordinary dietary hoops-jumping, and then adding 1-2 table spoons of coconut oil probably pushed me over the edge. I left the oil out this morning and had a much more typical movement than the last few days. I also ensured I was out of ketosis by drinking a quart of coconut water (44 grams of carbs seemed like they'd do the job).

I'll up the fiber and tweak my carb intake so I can keep eating CCN oil and not bind up since the CCN oil seems to have a massive amount of health benefits.

Thank you.

I'm shocked that the TS is even slightly backed up after drinking a shake with Chia seeds in it.

Chia seeds produce the most epic dumps I've ever taken.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back