Cobrinhas LA

Belch

White Belt
Reaction score
Potentially moving to Burbank any one have any idea on the gym culture there or have any other recommendations?

A guy I train with spent some time with him, and my second hand impression is that it's a very serious school where they train very hard, but the atmosphere is positive and Cobrinha's a really, really nice guy in addition to being a great teacher. And if you win a big tournament, he might bake you a delicious cake. Seriously.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f12/baking-cobrinha-2212725/index3.html

Great school with great competitors.
The cake thing is pretty cool too.

I have trained at Cobrinha's several times, all during the advanced class which Cobrinha himself teaches.

It has a nice facility, although the bathroom seemed small for the sheer amount of students that train. It feels very corporate. I don't mean that necessarily in a negative light, but it felt factory-like. It is stone cold silent during drilling, they have sign-ins with attendance cards because a class could easily have 50-60 students, and there is a timer to switch turns drilling. Depending on how you like to approach your training, these things could be a good thing or a bad thing.

The general size of the students are smaller on average. I was the largest guy there by a long shot both times, and the techniques shown were very much a "small man's game". Very flexible/mobile oriented. Fantastic stuff BTW.

I would just go there and check it out. You should check out many gyms and see which one is good for your personality. That drive from Burbank is unrealistic.

Competition schools tend to be "clique-y" in my experience. As far as price, I think it is a very fair price considering how many classes they offer. They have classes in the morning, afternoon, and night, any kind of schedule would be able to train there easily.

google maps put the drive at 20 mins. Any other comp schools you would recommend closer?

I too will be moving to the area in the next few months and was considering Cobrinha's. Not being familiar with the area though I find myself a little lost when looking at potential neighborhoods to live in. It seems G-Maps can be a little deceiving when considering the traffic and congestion LA is known for. Could someone that knows more about the area recommend some good neighborhoods within a reasonable commute for a serious student looking to train many times a week and sometimes multiple times a day?
So far I've looked in the Pasadena area and Santa Monica.

I too will be moving to the area in the next few months and was considering Cobrinha's. Not being familiar with the area though I find myself a little lost when looking at potential neighborhoods to live in. It seems G-Maps can be a little deceiving when considering the traffic and congestion LA is known for. Could someone that knows more about the area recommend some good neighborhoods within a reasonable commute for a serious student looking to train many times a week and sometimes multiple times a day?
So far I've looked in the Pasadena area and Santa Monica.

What area will you be living/working in? That will determine everything. Pasadena and Santa Monica are worlds apart, they might as well be 2 different states. A mile in LA is not the same as a mile in a flyover state.

And to the OP who thinks Google Maps will translate the LA commute, good luck with that!

google maps put the drive at 20 mins. Any other comp schools you would recommend closer?

Will you be working in Burbank as well? If you'll be working in LA and plan on doing BJJ afterwards, then that's a different story. But Burbank to Koreatown/Mid City during rush hour will definitely take you much longer than 20 minutes.

I'm virtual office with service calls anywhere in the LA area once or twice a month, so working out of my home 95% of the time. I can live anywhere, and I want to train at Cobrinha's. So literally my decision about where I live is based on where I will train.

I'm virtual office with service calls anywhere in the LA area once or twice a month, so working out of my home 95% of the time. I can live anywhere, and I want to train at Cobrinha's. So literally my decision about where I live is based on where I will train.

Train at Atos

That's great, I would live in Koreatown or Miracle Mile if the primary focus of living in LA is to train at Cobrinha's.

Pasadena to ktoen is a super easy commute on the metro.

As for a good place to live, what sort of budget are you looking at, do you prefer to buy or rent, and what else are you interested at?

Thanks for the replies ya'll, big help. I would love to train at Atos but a colleague has the San Diego territory. I should be able to make it down there a few times a year though. I wasn't really looking at taking the metro, not a big fan of public transportation to be honest. How is the drive from Pasadena to Cobrinha's? Is it reasonable or should I look to live elsewhere? What neighborhood is Cobrinhas in? Confused, is it Beverly hills or Korea-town? I will be renting at first, once I get a feel for the area, possibly buy. My budget is 2-3 grand a month for rent, so most neighborhoods are seemingly within reach.

I was looking at Pasadena because I am kind of burnt out on apartment living to be honest. I know right in that area there are a lot of luxury apartments but after living in a apartment most of my childhood, and town-homes/duplex's all of my adult life, I would love to be able to get a single family home. More space and privacy, some outdoor space perhaps. Unfortunately even on a 2-3 grand budget monthly, living in LA is crazy expensive, Pasadena seems to be cheaper for what I am looking for. If you can recommend another neighborhood or area that has more private homes that'd be awesome.

Last edited:
Pasadena to ktown would blow as a commute.

Hancock park is my favorite place to live in LA and it is like a 5 minute drive from Cobrinha.

I wish I had a job that would allow me to pick any location in LA for jiujitsu fand drop 3 grand on rent. :(

Have you ever lived in a really big city before? If not a month of driving in LA will probably make you rethink your position on public transit.

I would much rather spend an extra 20mins or w/e on the metro and be able to just relax than deal with the stress of driving. Driving in LA blows.

Also Pasadena to pretty much anywhere in LA is going to blow during rush hour.

Anywhere that you can afford to have a house is going to have a shitty commute it's part of the trade off of living in a commuter community

I'm coming from the mid-west and never have really lived in a big city before, so maybe I will have to reconsider public transportation, point taken. And yeah when the opportunity came up for a chance to live in LA I was stoked. For a competitive BJJ player and a huge Cobrinha fan, it is pretty sweet. I know I'll learn a lot and I compete at lightweight so I think it will be a good fit for me. Not a millionaire yet so a house in Hancock Park is out of reach, but thanks for all the help guys. It looks like I have to change my expectations about either where I'll live or how much I want to commute. I honestly didn't think 2-3 grand was a lot to spend on rent in that city. I'm definitely getting a raise to take this new job but a lot of my income growth is in the way of "Cost of Living Increase" that my cushy corporate job throws on top of my salary. I was considering living in the hood and just saving the extra cash, but my SO wasn't a fan of that idea. After doing a little research though I am still kind of confused on what makes LA such an expensive place to live? It seems like food costs, electric & water, gas, are are all fairly comparable to where I'm at now. So where is the cost of living higher? Is it just rent/mortgage and taxes or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Back