Co-Main>Main Event

UFC 142- Vitor vs Rumble over Aldo vs Mendes
UFC 133 - Vitor vs Akiyama over Rashad vs Tito
UFC 132 -Wandy vs Leben over Cruz vs Faber II
UFC 118 - Couture vs Toney (regrettably) over Penn vs Edgar II

Not that uncommon.

Not uncommon to be more hyped for a co-main than for the main event?

I'm not talking about post fight results, I'm talking about on paper a co-main being more looked forward to than the main.

Better because the fight was actually better, or better because you were more amped to see Bendo/Miller?

miller was on a 7 fight win streak in the ufc at the prime of the lw division 20-2 overall, benson was former wec champ and lost in an awesome close fight to pettis, just beat bocek (decent win) and was 13-2 overall mma record. not to mention he is the current champ

hardy was on a 3 fight losing streak! and main eventing? c'mon, thats cause for prelims right there. lytle was coming off a loss as well..

u tell me who should be the main event. maybe im old fashioned, but winning records are better than marketability.

soooo.. better fight in terms of relevancy and awesomeness imo.

Rampage/Wand III and Mir/Rodrigo over Forrest/Rashad at UFC 92.

Both Sonnen vs. Stann and Aldo vs. Florian on UFC 136 were more appealing than Edgar vs. Maynard III

Chuck/Shogun over Silva/Leites
Silva/Forrest over BJ/Florian

With the upcoming Hendo/Machida fight coming, name some other times where the co-main event was more appealing to you than the main event that night. It could be for personal reasons, ie. your favorite fighter was fighting.

You trying to say the Machida/Hendo is more appealing than Ronda/Liz?
I'm more interested in the Ronda/Liz fight. I would buy this card without Machida/Hendo but wouldn't buy it without Ronda/Liz.

My pick is UFC 73. I understand why Florian headlined that card, but Anderson was on a rampage after Leben/Franklin. I was hyped for this fight, even though I didn't really know too much about Silva at that time.

You're joking right? Anderson/Marquardt was the main event. Florian/Robinson was last but only due to time constraints. The same thing happened with Fitch/Thiago at UFC 100. Florian would not headline over any of the main card fights that night. UFC 73 is still a good example though. As good as Silva was, Marquardt was largely unknown after disappointing in his debut and being relegated to the undercard up until the title fight. Meanwhile Nogueira made his UFC debut and Ortiz vs Rashad was a big fight.

This was not the Co-Main event, but the Rampage vs. Wanderlei III fight on UFC 92 was the Main Event for me.

Back