Clottey vs Pacquiao

polsarc

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Late, but I just saw this fight, and I don't understand it. Why did Clottey just cover up and not attack? I thought this was some secret winning strategy until he continued covering up through the later rounds. Did he just not want to get hurt or something?

pacquiao-vs-clottey.jpg

If he threw, he knew he was going to have to eat 3 or 4 clean punches. He didnt want to get hit, so he turtled up - thats what I thought when watching the fight. It has happened essentially to every fighter Pac has fought since Diaz - Cotto did it, Diaz did it, Oscar did it.

Hatton decided to try and trade a bit, he got KO'ed.

He always has a high guard up like that but usually he punches more obviuosly. He just knew he didn't stand a chance and didn't want to get KO'd, so he played it safe and took his big paycheque. Then claimed he ate some bad food that made him sick and that's why he didn't throw many punches.

Late, but I just saw this fight, and I don't understand it. Why did Clottey just cover up and not attack? I thought this was some secret winning strategy until he continued covering up through the later rounds. Did he just not want to get hurt or something?

pacquiao-vs-clottey.jpg

The jury is still out.

If Clottey had half the heart as other Ghanain boxers he may not have not have beaten pacman but he certainly would have sent him home bruised and battered.

He fought a safety first style fight. He didn't really care to die trying for the knockout.

Clottey never fights as well as we all think he should.

Clottey is a safety first fighter, in almost all his big fights he covers up like that untill he sees an oppurtunity to let his hands go. Pac just threw too many punches with to much speed for Clottey to mount enough offense. He also is not very brave, he did the same shit in the second half of the Margarito fight.

If Clottey had half the heart as other Ghanain boxers he may not have not have beaten pacman but he certainly would have sent him home bruised and battered.

not really, he would have looked like a chump just like your boy Cotto. A boy fighting a man.

At the beginning Clottey was all dancing but ended up covering up the whole fight. So boring.

Nah.. he would have gotten knocked out.. Clottey shelled up for a reason.. he was getting blindsided everytime he even thought about punching.. and it turned him into a bitch..

remember..that is the same Clottey that proudly ate Zabs best shots.. his durability was the selling point of the fight.. people thought that Clottey was going to fight Pac like he fought Zab and that it would be a good test as a result.

Interesting. Another boxing forum I read has posters saying it was a work or something, which would be a big let down if true.

I was annoyed by Clottey in that fight. He just seemed happy to be there and way too friendly with Pacman.

he said he was sick or something, honestly he just looked like he wanted to go the distance being a punching bag

pull out your tinfoil hats folks, it's gonna be a long thread.

That wasn't a fight, It was Pacman sparring with a moving punching bag...

Back