Closing the gap 101: (**UPDATED: Forgot an exercise.)

I am primarily a grappler, how do I work against Muay Thai fighter? Without getting kneed in the face?

i like that dragon cross workout .. deff gonna try it tonight

hey i just joined the forum and am also a begginning fighter trying to learn proper technique, what i sometimes have trouble with is my reach advantage when i practice stand up just boxing, it seems even if i commit to a combination im always getting countered and not seeing the counter, is there anything i could do or work on to learn how to see the counter coming and make a counter of my own ?

I am primarily a grappler, how do I work against Muay Thai fighter? Without getting kneed in the face?

I think you need to read all of this thread again bro...

a good MT fighter is very good at keeping you at range, so you need to step in and go in behind strikes, get in close, and drop him before you get clinched and as you say, kneed in the face.

You could also try using his kicks against him - If he teeps to keep you at range (front kicks you) then you can use your hand to push /divert his leg to whichever side he is facing, (umm probly not explainin this v well...) for example if you're both in orthodox stance, and he teeps with his left foot (front foot), you divert the kick to ur left, which turns him away from you, and you can then follow up with a low kick, right cross, or an an easy takedown in your case. Sure the better members here can clarify /correct me if needed.

If you can catch a low kick youll hav no problem putting him on his back, I'd say right cross or leg kick, i'm not what a grappler would do, i assume just shoot forward, collect the standing leg as well and you're away.. :D

Quote:
"I think I misunderstood one of the points in this thread, so please forgive me if I missed something. How are fighters closing while taking a step with the rear leg first? It can be done (it happens to me) if the attacker sets up an angled move (or sidestep, but that would be orthodox if moving right) after a strong combination (standard). But if I see an opponent's rear foot move forward I usually jab or (if I'm not totally gassed) pivot around the advance. Sometimes I teep. But it's very easy to see and react to because the rear foot moving first leaves the opponent off-balance - usually. Also it telegraphs a bit. Did I misunderstand the previous statements?
Thanks for your help. "

Yeah, me too. I'm not sure what Twisted meant and he hasn't posted in a while.

I think he (twisted) is reffering to being in a more traditional boxing stance, feet set wider apart then he says "step in deep with rear leg first". In other words, when closing the gap with the jab in a wider stance, step your rear leg in closer to your lead.....narrowing the stance and fire of the rear leg forward with a jab. Covers more distance (closing gap) than a more traditional shuffle type movement. I dont think he is implying step forward (rear leg ahead of lead leg) or cross over with the rear leg........ This may not be right, just how I would interpret it....? Who knows?

I think he (twisted) is reffering to being in a more traditional boxing stance, feet set wider apart then he says "step in deep with rear leg first". In other words, when closing the gap with the jab in a wider stance, step your rear leg in closer to your lead.....narrowing the stance and fire of the rear leg forward with a jab. Covers more distance (closing gap) than a more traditional shuffle type movement. I dont think he is implying step forward (rear leg ahead of lead leg) or cross over with the rear leg........ This may not be right, just how I would interpret it....? Who knows?

I didn't really understand the first time so hmmm - but jus to agree. I'm pretty sure there is no implication that you should ever cross your rear leg in front of your lead leg unless maybe you're stance switching lol?

Now here's where it gets fun. When you have this down where you can chase him down (if the guy gets too slow switch to faster guys in your class, but a good partner will get faster right along with you), tell him to counter you. Everytime you step in for that jab tell him to throw a counter-hook to the body or the head with his opposite hand. So that every time you land the jab, bing, you get popped. Sucks huh? Well there's a way to stop it. Use your opposite hand/arm to block. Don't parry, just put the limb in the way (for now). This will do WONDERS for your confidence in not worrying about being countered when you step in. Yes kids, it's JUST THAT EASY. Not really because this is a pain in the ass to practice a lot. And getting countered is very frustrating. But you'll get better as time goes on. Faster and more accurate.

I'm a little confused by this. Does this mean that in an orthodox stance you would be using your right hand to block as you jab? Or Does it mean that you are bringing your jabbing arm back to block his counter hook? :icon_conf

Now here's where it gets fun. When you have this down where you can chase him down (if the guy gets too slow switch to faster guys in your class, but a good partner will get faster right along with you), tell him to counter you. Everytime you step in for that jab tell him to throw a counter-hook to the body or the head with his opposite hand. So that every time you land the jab, bing, you get popped. Sucks huh? Well there's a way to stop it. Use your opposite hand/arm to block. Don't parry, just put the limb in the way (for now). This will do WONDERS for your confidence in not worrying about being countered when you step in. Yes kids, it's JUST THAT EASY. Not really because this is a pain in the ass to practice a lot. And getting countered is very frustrating. But you'll get better as time goes on. Faster and more accurate.

[/QUOTE]

I'm a little confused about this.

If we're standing orthodox I jab him with my left he counters me with his right hand? That would be my left side. How could I use my "opposite" hand to block? I can't block my left side with my right hand.

Please if you could explain it would be much appreciated

If we're standing orthodox I jab him with my left he counters me with his right hand? That would be my left side. How could I use my "opposite" hand to block? I can't block my left side with my right hand.

Few years ago I had exactly the same confusion when I read this specific part ...

Last edited:
I wonder how Sinister feels about these ideas now that a lot about his training has changed.

Also, his writing style has changed over the years.

Last edited:
"Now here's where it gets fun. When you have this down where you can chase him down (if the guy gets too slow switch to faster guys in your class, but a good partner will get faster right along with you), tell him to counter you. Everytime you step in for that jab tell him to throw a counter-hook to the body or the head with his opposite hand. So that every time you land the jab, bing, you get popped. Sucks huh? Well there's a way to stop it. Use your opposite hand/arm to block. Don't parry, just put the limb in the way (for now). This will do WONDERS for your confidence in not worrying about being countered when you step in. Yes kids, it's JUST THAT EASY. Not really because this is a pain in the ass to practice a lot. And getting countered is very frustrating. But you'll get better as time goes on. Faster and more accurate."

Explanation:

I'd almost never suggest a rear-hand hook for a counter to a jab. So the counter the partner would perform would be a left hook counter. If you're both orthodox...you can take it from there.

I wonder how Sinister feels about these ideas now that a lot about his training has changed.

Also, his writing style has changed over the years.

I was once a lot more candid. I still can be, but don't so much need to be.

Last edited:
Probably the word "opposite" caused confusion here - "Everytime you step in for that jab tell him to throw a counter-hook to the body or the head with his opposite hand."

And yes - right hook to the head as a jab counter looked strange as well in this wrong context. So overall I was confused by this part back then but didn't have sherdog account to ask ))))

I'd almost never suggest a rear-hand hook for a counter to a jab.

Why not?

Tbf when I read right hook I mostly think of an overhand a true right hook is a rare punch and if it happens it's mostly thrown head to head on the inside.
So would really not advise an overhand over the jab or just not a real right hook over the jab?

And what else left hook or straight right?

An over-hand isn't a hook. Rear-hand hook as a jab counter a) takes too long and b) is too visible from far away.

But pretty much any other punch can counter a jab, depending on what kind of jab we're talking about, of course.

An over-hand isn't a hook. Rear-hand hook as a jab counter a) takes too long and b) is too visible from far away.

But pretty much any other punch can counter a jab, depending on what kind of jab we're talking about, of course.

Yeah but he probably meant overhand right many don't differentiate between an overhand and a rear hook and real rear hook punches are rare and mostly used only by really skilled inside fighters

There's a whole thread around here on using it on the outside...wonder who posted it....

Quick question on the dragon cross and sand bad shouldering. How many sets and reps do you perform for them? Is this a "do it until you're exhausted" thing?

Back