Closed guard problem. (posture)

Weonlywonsixtwo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I keep having problems posturing even against weaker opponents. Seems every time they get the lapel grip it seems to be over for me. How do I prevent or help this?

By constantly rolling. You will start getting used to the feeling.

Before anyone posts their advice, let me also ask the inverse question -- what's the best way to break down your opponent's posture from guard? Because that's more of a problem for me than the reverse.

Break their grip on your lapel, then try to control one of their hands the best you can while you get posture to break their guard. It's what i do and it works for me most of the time.

greasemonkey said:
Break their grip on your lapel, then try to control one of their hands the best you can while you get posture to break their guard. It's what i do and it works for me most of the time.
ThanX. I'll try that tommorow.

Posture up and put your hands in a line on their stomach pressing down as if your were holding a baseball bat rather than putting your hands side by side-- with your hands side by side its very easy to attack the elbows and pull you down... next center up a knee and sit down and back to break open their guard.

bammann45 said:
Posture up and put your hands in a line on their stomach pressing down as if your were holding a baseball bat rather than putting your hands side by side-- with your hands side by side its very easy to attack the elbows and pull you down... next center up a knee and sit down and back to break open their guard.
You mean grab the lapel with both hands one under another?

Yes, put your hands in front of you, pretend you are holding a baseball bat or a golf club. Use that same grip position on their gi lapels, even try rolling them up together a little bit. Now picture your hands side by side, as if you were grasping their belt with both hands-- its very easy for them to reach up, up your elbows and yank, which makes them collapse on top of you. Also work to keep your elbows in tight against their thigh, and tight agaisnts your own sides and push down hard against their stomach-- not for the usually noob guard opening technique of grinding in your elbows, but because it gives you better control of them working subs with their legs. Keep your chin high and chest up -- now center a knee in the middle of their butt and sit down and back opening your hips... that will pop open any closed guard... if you post up properly as I've described, even if they have a lapel it will be very hard for them to pull you down.

The advice above is great.

I try very hard not to get caught in my opponent's closed guard. I find I can balance and attack much better with one knee in front of me rather than having both on the ground.

I think it's good to be aggressive from the bottom in guard, keep attacking with sweeps, arm drags and chokes. Mix stuff up and keep him confused. Pull the guy's hands off you when he tries to base.

Knuckles on him hips or on stomach as you push yourself up. The more they bring you down the more it'll hurt them. The old forearm across throat has the same effect.

the old forearm in the throat gets you armbarred.

batman was right on.

prevent posture with rubber guard

if they posture then go to half guard

if they stand, then go for open guard

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
I keep having problems posturing even against weaker opponents. Seems every time they get the lapel grip it seems to be over for me. How do I prevent or help this?

butt down, sitting on your heels, don't let your head float over wherever your hands are
OR
amassa pao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
King Jinping
Back