Clip of me being face planted.

Bubble Boy

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So I'm browsing along online just minding my own business. Had a few beers. I'm checking out the video clips at www.phoenixgrappling.com, probably the best judo club in Arizona. I'm half asleep and just checking out various clips when holy shit! One of the clips is ME being thrown in a Judo tournament I did in 2002! I mean I just get augered into the mat dudes, and there it is for all the world to see. There it is as an example of a beautiful throw against a hapless and undexterious judo dweeb. I had no idea it was posted at their site until now.

But since I'm humble... go to www.phoenixgrappling.com
Click on Video & Pics to the left of the page.
You'll see Yoko Wakare, Jonah V, 229 KB.
Go ahead and click on it and see me being face planted by this dude. Shit.
BTW, that was the final and I took second in my division. This guy Jonah is presently training at the Kodokan and his journal of his experiences I also found a link to on the site.

Just thought I'd share. Things seem a bit slow around here lately.

Damn, I think I heard your head bounce. Thanks for sharing. Second is very respectable and at least you didn't lose by KO (Tatame).

Brandinho said:
Damn, I think I heard your head bounce. Thanks for sharing. Second is very respectable and at least you didn't lose by KO (Tatame).

Oh yeah, I was dazed. My head smacked the mat pretty hard. I saw little twinkling stars and a brief image of Pamela Andeson for some reason.

It's hard to tell by the video footage, but his left hand grip was just brutal. He really had solid control of me. I remember just before being thrown hearing his coach shouting, "There ya' go, you got the grip you wanted..."

You're lucky you landed on your head - otherwise you might have actually been hurt.

judogido said:
You're lucky you landed on your head - otherwise you might have actually been hurt.

Uh. Whatcha' saying there judogido? :redface:

I meant considering theres not much rattling around in there to damage...... :D

...... like most of us judokas.... :wink:

judogido said:
I meant considering theres not much rattling around in there to damage...... :D

...... like most of us judokas.... :wink:

That's what I thought you may be alluding to. :(
Just leave pink tutu's out of it and we'll be fine.

Kind of sucked finding the clip. I was enjoying all the other clips, kinda' thinking stuff like: "Man that dude got owned, he sucked..." as I was watching all these nice throws. Then mine comes up and I'm like: "Oh shit, that dude got owned, he sucked big time...wait a second...that's, that's me. That's me? WTF!"

i'm a greco wreslter.. or was i guess. we throw also.. and i haven;t seen much judo but i'd say good take down but bad throw..we do something very similar.. same foot placement and everything, only we hold the wrist. called an arm spin and i've seen guys hit that and send the opponents feet straight up and over there head and their head being no closer than 2-3 ft from the ground. i liked it... imo i didn't like it compared to other throws i've seen, just too bad it was you man.

oh and don't mind my bad grammar and punctuation.. or spelling.

I love the Judo Cat vs Karate Cat, very cute, and very true. You hitting your head wasnt nearly as bad as I thought. I was under the impression that a face plant meant you landed on your face.

Bubble Boy said:

Kind of sucked finding the clip. I was enjoying all the other clips, kinda' thinking stuff like: "Man that dude got owned, he sucked..." as I was watching all these nice throws. Then mine comes up and I'm like: "Oh shit, that dude got owned, he sucked big time...wait a second...that's, that's me. That's me? WTF!"

Too funny!!

Egg Nog said:
You hitting your head wasnt nearly as bad as I thought. I was under the impression that a face plant meant you landed on your face.

Yeah, I probably should have intitled this thread, "Clip of my pride being face planted."

Thanks for the link. I am currently learning judo and recently fell for possibly the same throw during randori(thankfully, no video). Apparently, I allowed my opponent to get a good overhand grip a little higher than the video and the rest was history. Yes, I did see stars and my right side hurt for at least three days. My opponent landed on me so I got a pretty good gi burn/bruise on my left eye/eyebrow.:redface:

lol. Looks like you're white and fighting a bb. Is that right?

Bubble Boy said:

LOFUCKINL. Too funny bro.

Q mystic said:
lol. Looks like you're white and fighting a bb. Is that right?

No, I wish I could say that. I was a white belt but he was a green belt. He's got a blue sash tied around his gi as is typical in a Judo tournament so that the refs can tell us apart. It looks black in the video.

I still can't believe I'm a fucking judo throw link highlight.

Bubble Boy said:
No, I wish I could say that. I was a white belt but he was a green belt.
So would you smash him now you're a (blue..??)....

judogido said:
So would you smash him now you're a (blue..??)....

No blue belts in Judo in the U.S.A. I'm still a lowly green belt.
I could probably never beat this guy honestly. According to the website he's presently training at the Kodokan in Japan. Last I knew he was a brown belt and his promotion happened shortly after the tournament in which he beat me. So I'm sure he's black by now. Plus the guy is just athletically gifted, and about 15 years younger than me. Half the highlight clips on that website are of him throwing people. The dude is basically a phenom. However, if I walked out during a judo match and punched him right in the nose, and the ref didn't penalize me, then I might have a chance.

Back