Cleto reyes OR Fairtex training gloves!!??

corporatefit93

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey I'm looking to buy a new pair of gloves ASAP because I can't take these Everlast Protex 2's anymore. I'm 6'0 tall 190/195 and I'll be fighting at 185. I'm a hard hitter with a history of boxing and I'm hoping I'll be having my MMA/Muay Thai debut fight in the near future. I've been researching relentlessly for the past few days to the point it's starting to annoy my girlfriend and myself. I'll be using the gloves for ALOT of boxing/punching on heavy bags, mitts. sparring, pretty much everything. I do like utilizing the clinch and throwing kicks into the mix but with my strength and boxing background I tend to punch a lot and hit hard. I've narrowed it down to either the Cleto Reyes training gloves with extra padding OR a quality pair of Fairtex gloves. I'm looking for a pair that'll last me a long time, be original (not what everyone else has), and will let me keep my punching technique up while also allowing me to block heavy kicks, utilize clinch, and give me ease of movement for throwing kicks. I was thinking that if I could find a nice Muay thai glove with a grip bar, then it would still benefit my boxing but the only fairtex glove I've found like this is the BVG4 and I've seen in reviews that it isn't a tight fitting glove and there's to much room. I have normal/bigger hands for a guy so I don't know what would be best for me. Can anyone relate and/or help me out!?? Thanks.

Cleto Reyes Extra padding in 16 oz i think will be the best option, amazing leather and craftmanship, wrist support is very good to be velcro, 2x the padding of the normal cleto reyes training gloves, and the weight of the glove will be 18 oz so safe enough to spar if you weigh 185, the hand compartment is big so if you have big hands theres no problem here, i have Cleto Reyes in 16 oz an I love them, the only con is that mine are not the extra padding version and when you hit, the knuckles push trough the foam very easily, hope it helps

its always recommended to have a separate pair of gloves for bag work etc and sparring. If you don't want to be like everyone else....well thats gonna be hard. Your going to find your Reyes users and Fairtex users,Twins users etc. I would say go with a smaller reputable company if you don't want the norm. Cageside makes a very nice thai style glove. Ring to Cage has a vast selection of great gloves. Golden Gear is another good smaller company as is Gorilla Fight gear. The possibilities are endless. Wish I could help more.

If you really want a thai brand but would prefer a little more of a western feel then boons might be a good option for you.

Thanks Juan yea I think my heart is going with the cleto reyes extra padding and nobody has those that I've ever seen atleast not in any of the gyms I've been to. and when I say "original" I'm mainly referring to the fact that most people I know and train with love the fairtex gloves they even sell them at my academy. The only thing stopping me from buying the cletos right now is that they're a western "boxing" type of glove and I'm going to be sparring and using them in a Muay Thai training atmosphere so I'll be kicking, clinching, etc. There for idk if it's going to be more difficult to clinch and kick with them or I'd buy them in a heart beat. and thanks taskmaster I've seen that I should have two pairs of gloves through my research but I really don't have the funds to buy two different pairs right now and honestly for right now I'm just looking for one pair to make it easy on me... So does anyone know/think that if I bought a pair of 16 oz Cleto Reyes extra padding training gloves that they would be suitable in a Muay Thai/MMA training regume?.. I'm pretty sure there is a grip bar in the palm of the Cleto Reyes will this make my clinch game more difficult?.. Also does anyone know anything about the fairtex BVG4's?? How they fit/feel etc..? Thanks guys

All my thai gloves have a grip bar and it doesn't affect my clinch. My only thought is the padding on the Reyes and blocking kicks. Might very well sting a bit. How about Twins?

I have both cleto reyes and fairtex super sparring gloves. If you are maiming going to hit pads, bags, mitts and occasional musy thai sparring I would recommend cleto reyes. If you do a ton of clinch work and muay that sparring I would recommend fairtex. Catching kicks and holding someone's heel in your hand is way easier with the fairtex gloves. Also they wrist support is more flexible and the glover oropendola up more for clinch work. If I had to choose one glove I'd choose reyes because I don't clinch much in sparring situations and when I do practice clinch it is without gloves or wraps.

I would not recommend reyes for sparring. They have a temdemcy to allow people to knuckle through them from what I have heard.

For bag work, honestly I would not get a Thai style glove. I use Ringside IMF gloves for bag and pad work. Grest glove, good price, and allows me to work technigue and have that coveted pad and bag smack.

For sparring if you absolutely want a Thai glove I would look at ring to cage, windy, and twins. The only benefif thai gloves have for sparring is the padding on the back of the hand for kick blocking. But its your call. I see guys using GRANT gloves for kickboxing sparring.

I would not recommend reyes for sparring. They have a temdemcy to allow people to knuckle through them from what I have heard.

True. They're definitely not the most forgiving sparring gloves.

Thats justnmy opinion. I only put on a pair of Reyes once I do not even know the model. I just wanted to know why OP is set on a thai glove.

A western glove if made with quality materials will be able to open without a lot of effort. Like R2C C17.

If youmare tight on funds, I would buy those thumbless bag gloves, and spend the money on just a sparring glove. DO NOT BUY CLETO AND USE THEM FOR BAG AND SPARRING!

If it comes down to it you need to spend the money on a sparring glove. I try not to be a jerk to people, but a guy at my gym only had bag gloves that were thumbless, and when it came time to run sparing drills I said theres no way hes hitting me with those lol.

Whag is your budget? We shall guide you.

I'm thinking about ordering the fairtex BGV6. I just feel like ordering a pair of fairtex for some reason but im definitely getting a pair with a grip bar.. I just received the BGV4s in the mail. they were a 16 oz witch shouldn't have been a problem but WOW way to much room for me so sent them back. Yea if you guys know witch fairtex gloves have a grip bar and can be used as a universal (multi-purpose) glove than please let me know.. I think the BGV6 has a grip bar and the glove looks nice so I may go with that idk what's your opinion.?

Hmmm. You are not making this easy. Can I ask why you are so dead set on fairtex? If its aesthetics or something you can be honest there are good people here that will steer you the right direction.

If you ABSOLUTELY only can do one glove right now, for both bag and sparring, and it HAS TO BE Fairtex, then either get the BGV1 or the Boxing model.

Bear in mind, since you are going to use them for bag and sparring, you will need 16oz. Now that is a large glove size for bag work for some, but I use 16oz for everything because I am able to easily.

I gotta say tho, since you are tight on cash, you could get a synthetic bag glove from Ring to Cage, or Rival, for CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. I am talking like 25-30 bucks. Then get a 16oz BGV1pair for sparring.

In all honesty, having a synthetic bag glove is not a bad route to go. They can take just as good a bezting as ldather, and dont show as much wear over time. Bag gloves get beat to shit, and they dont need to be leather.

Hope this helps. For what its worth I am a Amatuer Muay Thai competitor in training and I swear by RINGSIDE IMF for the bag. Easy to open the hand, good ventilation, good grip bar, and you can make a good fist. And for sparring the world is your oyster .

No joke if you tell me what kinda $$$ you are working with I could tell you exactly what route to go.

I have owned Cleto Reyes, Windy, Twins, Fairtex, and Everlast brands.

I personally cannot stand Thai gloves. I don't know if it's because of the thai fight style not being so dependent on punches in comparison to the western style, but I have never found a thai glove that felt good to me. Even after giving it a good run (I had one pair that was pretty attractive and was imported, I really wanted them to be good, but hated them).

The Reyes were pretty good, but honestly I love the Everlast brand. I even feel like the cheap Dick's Everlast are better than some of the $100+ gloves I have had. They do make different styles, so maybe the style you have isn't very good.

I am also a heavy hitter and in my experience gloves made for Western Boxing are 100 times better than Thai brands. Again, I am assuming this just goes along with how the two styles of fighting are different.

I'm thinking about ordering the fairtex BGV6. I just feel like ordering a pair of fairtex for some reason but im definitely getting a pair with a grip bar.. I just received the BGV4s in the mail. they were a 16 oz witch shouldn't have been a problem but WOW way to much room for me so sent them back. Yea if you guys know witch fairtex gloves have a grip bar and can be used as a universal (multi-purpose) glove than please let me know.. I think the BGV6 has a grip bar and the glove looks nice so I may go with that idk what's your opinion.?

The BGV6 is the crappiest glove in the entire Fairtex lineup -- do NOT get them for the love of all that's good and beautiful LOL.
If you want a Fairtex-manufactured boxing glove for sparring, get a pair of BGE1's. Think of them as the front end of a BGV1 + a grip bar + the back end of a standard Western boxing glove.

Also, if you have smaller hands for your size, you can consider Top King as they offer more wrist support more along the lines of a Western glove.

Dammit I forgot the bgE! Darn you Harukaze and your brown belt know it allness.

Top king would work if he can get em for cheap shipping thats what kills it sometimes.

Dammit I forgot the bgE! Darn you Harukaze and your brown belt know it allness.

Top king would work if he can get em for cheap shipping thats what kills it sometimes.

Hahaha, well, to be fair, the BGE1 isn't exactly a common model (you figure it's not even in the current Fairtex catalog) and I know about how good a glove it is because I have a pair myself. :icon_chee

As for Top Kings, that's very true. I keep on forgetting about shipping since I have a personal policy of ALWAYS buying in person (brick and mortar or from private sellers occasionally) since I don't have the guts to buy without trying. :redface:

I am in Maryland. We have ZERO places to buy any gear except for big brand everlasting, ufc, and tapout megamarts. I wish there was a B and M for it.

I did however have some Grant 12 oz bag gloved come across my path. No Campeons the real ones. So I am stoked.

Yea I don't even really care anymore about Fairtex. It seems like if I wanted them I'd have to go with just sparring gloves and just bag gloves and that would be a bit pricey coming from Fairtex plus the shipping. I don't have just a certain amount of $$$ to spend either. I just know I have bills, not that great of a job $$ wise, and there's no way I'm spending 160+ on 1 OR 2 pairs of gloves. I basically just want a quality pair of all purpose gloves (bags, pads and sparring) with a grip bar, nice reviews, good amount of padding to block those all too powerful kicks, and benefits my punching (boxing) just as much as my Muay Thai work (clinching, ease of movement for kicks, etc..). Eventually after buying this pair, I will end up buying a quality pair of bag gloves but for the time being I'm just trying to get it over with. I've heard that twins are like pillows and while comfortable they encourage gaps in your defense and when you put the competition gloves on your somewhat screwed due to all the new pain and the illusion that he's stronger. I looked at boons but.. Ehhh a little to plain for me if I'm spending all this $$ on a nice pair of gloves. The BGE1's look ok but 1. They probably don't offer the same padding protection on the backhand to defend against kicks since there a "western/American boxing glove" and 2. I think I would like a hook and loop closure not a flimsy looking elastic stretchy strap like the crappy gloves I have now. I'm somewhat considering hayabusa (if that's how you spell it) but the gloves I want "Hayabusa Tokushu" are designed for bigger hands/thicker handwraps and I'm definitely looking for a tight fit. I don't have small hands but apparently they aren't big enough for "extra wide design" Thai gloves. Any suggestions...!? I'm taking these suggestions very seriously since I'm looking to buy asap so please give your best/deepest thoughts on what you think will most definitely suit me and DESCRIBES THE ABOVE ^^^^^^^^^^

If you have any questions for me to better help me and my decision, please feel free to ask.

Thanks Guys

Back