Clean eating for the whole family

B3rserk3R

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My wife and I are both clean eating types and could both happily live off meat, spinach salads, nuts, berries,and all that good stuff forever without getting bored. However, our toddler (2.5yrs to be precise) doesn't share that view, and trying to cook just 1 meal for the three of us is pretty hit or miss. I was wondering if any of you guys with kids have found come across some unlikely foods/meals they like. Some things mine likes:

eggs (doubly so if they're eggs I made for me :icon_conf)
sweet potatoes
fruit (it's sweet, duh)
any seafood we've tried him on (including calimari and sushi)
turkey tips

If you dont give in your child will learn to like it. The kid isnt going to starve himself..

If you dont give in your child will learn to like it. The kid isnt going to starve himself..

You obviously don't have kids...

My daughter is fourteen months old and she likes the following:
- Black Beans
- Pinto Beans
- Avocados
- Beef
- Steak
- Chicken
- Milk (I don't know why moving away from the bottle or nursing often results in parents giving their kid less milk.)

Man...my youngest one (gonna be 2 yrs) eats everything. Spinach omelets, meats, pastas, fruits (he LOVES bananas), but my older one (7yrs) is so damn picky. He does eat all kinds of meats but hell no to veggies...only fruit he eats is apples...doesnt like eggs! and doesnt like any type of Pasta. Im trying to get him to eat more things but its tough.

I haven't tried beans yet, I bet he'd like them. Thanks for that! He'll eat the occassional spinach omlett (again espeicially if I cooked it for me). Doesn't seem to like the texture of chicken.

Ziltoid- it's funny you mention bananas. It's gotten to the point where we have to put them where he can't see them because they'll be all he wants to eat.

Has anyone had any luck with old fashioned oatmeal? I keep trying to mix different things in, but haven't had any luck.

my pedatrician constantly tells us it can take up to 12 or more tries with a certain food before a child will accept it and like it.

my son likes:
pulled chicken & pork w/ bbq sauce (meats are hit or miss right now) he's 20 months old.
deli turkey
string cheese (this is key in a pinch)
brocolli
green beans
corn
flavored oatmeal
yogurt
most fruits (blueberries early on, not so much now)
applesauce

we toss a handful of frozen, mixed berries into the oatmeal and our kids love it.

I don't have any kids, but I know for myself I was a pretty picky kid growing up and avoided a lot of vegetables until i was maybe 18 yrs old.

One way that works for vegetables specifically is to chop them up in a food processor or blender and put them in with tomato sauce or other sauces. They'll hardly notice them there!

But personally I don't think you should push them too much. They're only kids, after all :D. I would say encourage them to try different foods but don't force it on them; instead, try to encourage them eating the healthy foods that they do like, such as bananas or oatmeal or whatever else.

My wife and I are both clean eating types and could both happily live off meat, spinach salads, nuts, berries,and all that good stuff forever without getting bored. However, our toddler (2.5yrs to be precise) doesn't share that view, and trying to cook just 1 meal for the three of us is pretty hit or miss. I was wondering if any of you guys with kids have found come across some unlikely foods/meals they like. Some things mine likes:

eggs (doubly so if they're eggs I made for me :icon_conf)
sweet potatoes
fruit (it's sweet, duh)
any seafood we've tried him on (including calimari and sushi)
turkey tips

Feed him whatever you guys eat. You are the parents, not him. He will NOT starve himself, and will eventually eat.

Try mixing it up with different ways to prepare teh food. If a kid doesn't like it the first time, there isn't too great of a chance they'll like the exact same thing next time. Try your best to make it look good and fun.

Simple solution start feeding him a steady diet of the back of your hand. He will learn to eat whats put in front of him and to do it with less lip.

Back