CLAUSTROPHOBIC PEOPLE, get in this thread.

Jayzer193

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
II am not claustrophobic. I did, however, have a dream the other night that sent me into such a panic that i almost had a heart attack, woke up in a sweat, and the mere thought of what the dream was (if i re-live it, imagination wise) makes my heart race, and i have to think of something else. I can describe it here, and you can read it and shrug it off- but if you actually imagine it, and how you would react while in the situation, you will panic, in real life, and it will affect your heart rate and breathing. why my brain made this dream up, i have no idea, but OMG. wtf.

How do you type in a spoiler tag, so truly claustrophobic people dont read this?

sp

Last edited:
maybe i should just type it as my sig, lol. jk, how do you use a spoiler tag?

I read somewhere that most people are either claustrophobic or scared of heights. Few people dont have fear of both or none of the two.

I read somewhere that most people are either claustrophobic or scared of heights. Few people dont have fear of both or none of the two.

I fall under fear of both.

Worst experience in my life was getting rolled up in a blanket really tight like I was the beans in a bean burrito and I couldn't move and started crying.

I was a kid but if it happened to me again I would cry again and probably die.

I'm scared of heights in that I wouldn't bungee jump or skydive but I will abseil where I'm sort of secure.

The only claustrophobic experience I really didn't like was visiting a mining museum as a little kid in school and they make you all crawl through this tunnel that's not big enough for more than one person to move through and its really dark and all the kids were really bunched up and I couldn't get out because you can't go any faster than the person in front.

I am not claustrophobic. I did, however, have a dream the other night that sent me into such a panic that i almost had a heart attack, woke up in a sweat, and the mere thought of what the dream was (if i re-live it, imagination wise) makes my heart race, and i have to think of something else. I can describe it here, and you can read it and shrug it off- but if you actually imagine it, and how you would react while in the situation, you will panic, in real life, and it will afftect your heart rate and breathing. why my brain made this dream up, i have no idea, but OMG. wtf.

How do you type in a spoiler tag, so truly claustrophobic people dont read this?

Seriously, you might have actually stopped breathing for a fair amount of time while asleep. I have a deviated septum (i.e. one of my nostrils has limited airflow at times) and my air also gets cut off if I'm lying on my back without my head propped up much.

What I'm saying is that every once in a while I have a dream where I am suffocating because I am literally suffocating in real life. I wake up gasping for breath sometimes, I'm tired for much of the day, and I feel it in my chest for much of the day as well. It has happened to me 20+ times in the last five years o so. So maybe your experince wasn't just a dream?

I skydive and rock/mountain climb for pleasure.
I work in tunnels and underground in cramped spaces.

guess I'm one of those few.

NO_FEAR_BEST_2.jpg

I skydive and rock/mountain climb for pleasure.
I work in tunnels and underground in cramped spaces.

guess I'm one of those few.

NO_FEAR_BEST_2.jpg

If you were actually in the situation of the dream I had, this is what your eyes would look like while you tried to open an artery with your fingernail from panic.

Being claustrophobic is kind of an irrational fear unless you are actually dying. Fear of heights is totally rational cuz that shit be forreal yo.

Being claustrophobic is kind of an irrational fear unless you are actually dying. Fear of heights is totally rational cuz that shit be forreal yo.

You bring up an interesting point. Now I will add a time limit to the situationsituation in the dream and ask who would be able to make it through the ordeal...right on

I have claustrophobia and the first year of BJJ was absolutely mortifying. I had to tap from mount and side control without even the threat of a submission because I'd freak out so badly.

Seriously, you might have actually stopped breathing for a fair amount of time while asleep. I have a deviated septum (i.e. one of my nostrils has limited airflow at times) and my air also gets cut off if I'm lying on my back without my head propped up much.

What I'm saying is that every once in a while I have a dream where I am suffocating because I am literally suffocating in real life. I wake up gasping for breath sometimes, I'm tired for much of the day, and I feel it in my chest for much of the day as well. It has happened to me 20+ times in the last five years o so. So maybe your experince wasn't just a dream?

You have moderate to severe sleep apnea. My wife runs a sleep lab, she has been in that line of work for 9 years now. I may have gotten wrapped up in the blankets in my sleep, which could have contributed to the context of the dream, but I had no suffocation going on, just sheer panic from the immobility. When I woke, I had to stand up immediately, stretch out, etc. Then the flashback of what it was kind of made my heart race again.

Dude, You missed a golden opportunity. The thread title should read "claustrophobic people get in this thread"

I don't fear either.

My fears are far more strange and inconvenient.

Dude, You missed a golden opportunity. The thread title should read "claustrophobic people get in this thread"

10/10. Gawd dainget. Oh wait- there we go. Done.

Traffic here will quadruple, then I will hit everyone with the STORY. Claustrophobes will be rekt!

As an MRI tech, I have to deal with claustrophobic people literally every shift.

As an MRI tech, I have to deal with claustrophobic people literally every shift.

I will concur- I went in with my mom for her MRI years back- she had a level 5 breakdown. And she never thought she was claustrophobic....

That must suck for you, every time your about to load the torpedo bay, wondering if the person is going to go nuts....

I fall under both, terrified of heights (like walking up steps of a tall landmarks that are railed and outside I'd be hugging the wall) and claustrophobic, although I think BJJ has helped with the claustrophobia.

I will concur- I went in with my mom for her MRI years back- she had a level 5 breakdown. And she never thought she was claustrophobic....

That must suck for you, every time your about to load the torpedo bay, wondering if the person is going to go nuts....

Nah, we are ALL used to it, and accept it as part of the job. I give each patient all the time or encouragement that they need. I use any motion compensation techniques available for the scanner I'm running, and I prioritize the most important pulse sequences to do first in case a patient can't complete the entire study (so they still get a study worthy of being read and dictated by a radiologist).

The REAL pain is explaining the limitations of MRI on claustro patients to ordering doctors and nurses speaking to us on behalf of those ordering doctors.

If a patient takes one look at the scanner and says "Nope." then that's it. No amount of coaxing is going to produce even a passable study. At the very least, they are going to start moving, and there's the very very good possibility that they're not going to complete it. It's time for them to get some sort of sedation.

"But Dr. Douchebag wants this done."

"But Dr. Douchebag clearly hasn't had one of these done on him, or he'd understand that sticking an in pain and senile 90 year old, who doesn't even understand why they're in the hospital, in a tight hollow tube blasting dubstep for 40 minutes isn't the best idea without some sedation."

Back