Clash of Clans, v4: Official Sherdog Clan = JUST BLEED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my two GoWiVa attacks were freaking rough in the JV war this time around.

I've followed up those four consecutive wipes with six consecutive 2*, now. The first three of those were timeouts with 94%, 88%, 92% dmg. The fourth was a 93% failure, but it had a chance, and a few tweaks could have wiped. So, frustrating, yeah, and I've been scrutinizing and analyzing my attacks intensively in order to ascertain the key to understanding what is costing that final few percent in those attacks, but still, it's tough not to feel good about attacks that all had such good chances of downing the opponent.

Well, one step forward in understanding, three steps back. The two bases I faced this war were both maxed, and I definitely wouldn't have attacked either with GoWiVa if this were a real war and I were trying to wipe (both were highly compartmentalized, neither had a DGB spot anywhere, and only one base had a problematic BK position). Still, both attacks were disasters, and 50ish% 1-star and 2-star failures.

The big problem is the Valks splitting. If you can keep them all in one major pack, at least for the first half of the attack, then you're gold. It's especially groovy if you can keep them grouped with your BK. His additional tanking and wallbreaking ability just help you in that early phase when 100% of the defenses are up and you are looking to get as many down as possible as quickly as possible to reduce the dps being put on your troops. If the Valks are grouped long enough that they are still all together after soaking up this early damage, and perhaps catching a giant bomb or two, then a few Heals on top of the entire pack will guarantee the wipe.

The problem is this new AI is making it impossible to keep them together. It's like 3 bitches always want to break off and end up running to the completely opposite side of the base. I end up engaging too many defenses simultaneously, and with too many Valks tanking for themselves instead of a Golem/BK soaking up some of that damage for them. I tend to lose too many Wiz this way, too, failing to keep them on the same line as the Valks, so they get in front of them along some angle and get blown up.

I tried both the 2-Golem variant (10 Valks), and then a 1-Golem variant (13 Valks) against a base that was super densely compartmentalized (it was a definite Hog target). Freaking PEKKA and Valk behavior continues to elude my understanding. I can't predict their pathing. I'm thinking of taking L4 Hogs in my CC as a possible backside cleanup helper when the Valks are thinned out, don't have tanking, and are tending to get hung up on the last walls under fire. Definitely if someone has a base where all AD's are centralized and I can funnel the Valks easily into that heart I will attempt a TH8 GoVaLo or VaLoon.

Last edited:
I'll prob do both my attacks this war on the last day, if someone wants to hit my target go for it. I'll play clean up duty at the end.

Guys, was looking over the TH8's for our upcoming midweek war, here, and I saw some potential strats exploiting their various weaknesses (some bases appear on multiple lists if I don't think a particular strat is overwhelmingly strong):

Drags/Dragoon: #30, #28, #25, #24
Hogs: #26
GoWiVa/GoWiPe: #29, #28, #27, #26, #21
GoHoWi (PEKKA/Valks possible additions): #25, #23, #22
GoWi(Wi) (3-Golem Variant): #25
VaLoon: #22

I've been practicing in raids on my TH8 alt, lately, trying to better get a feel for Valks, and the GoWivaHo has been my favorite attack with them. The Hogs take a lot of the chance and guesswork out of the equation in terms of late pathing for the Valks since they just laser focus on the defenses. It's nice. You don't have to be Bobby Fischer trying to visualize your attack flow.

TH8 GoWiVaHo Composition

2-Golem Variant
  • 2 x L2 Golems
  • 6 x L2 Valkyrie
  • 6 x L4 Hogs
  • 4-8 x L5 Wallbreakers
  • 9-12 x L5 Wizards
  • 8-10 x CC pull/kill slots (Giant/Barbs/Archers or additional Wizards)
  • Clan Castle = 5 x L5 Hogs
  • 3 x L5 Heal
  • 1 x L2 Poison

1-Golem Variant
  • 1 x L2 Golems
  • 8-9 x L2 Valkyrie
  • 8 x L4 Hogs
  • 4-8 x L5 Wallbreakers
  • 9-11 x L5 Wizards
  • 8-10 x CC pull/kill slots (Giant/Barbs/Archers or additional Wizards)
  • Clan Castle = 5 x L5 Hogs
  • 3 x L5 Heal
  • 1 x L2 Poison

Last edited:
Holy shit, I've been absolutely murdering with the above GoWiVaHo comps today in raiding. Just murdering. Given, few bases have defensive CC, and the active ones usually have 1-3 defenses down being upgraded, but I've been slicing through every single one without fail over and over and over again, even if the defenses are maxed, and I rarely have to use more than two spells, and often my last 1-3 wiz drop late are superfluous. Sometimes I'm finishing with more than 2/3 of my units. I've been taking 6 troops instead of 8-12 for dealing with defensive cc, and devoting the rest of the slots to an extra few wiz or a wiz & two wbs. I wiped a few bases without any offensive CC of my own just to test its strength.

I think even more favorable are the abandoned bases because their traps aren't always armed. Spring traps can only launch 1 Valk at a time, but it's still a huge potential momentum killer if 4-6 of my 6 Valks get flung. Nonetheless, that's actually relatively desirable. If the Valks eat the giant bombs and the spring traps, then the Hogs just run roughshod over the the remainder of the base, especially in the 1-Golem variant where I bring 13 total Hogs. Oh yeah. I've been testing this all day with L2 Hogs in CC donated from my TH7 alts.

I think this may be the strongest TH8 comp in the game for the current patch.

I won't know for sure until I test it in war against Max TH8 defenses.

Last edited:
I've maxed out everything but walls and heroes at TH9 at this point. I'm debating staying until my heroes are at lvl 30 and i have lava walls, or making a TH10 jump.

The grind is relentless at this point. Heroes are going to cost 100K-150K DE and 1 week for each upgrade. To get both the AQ and BK will take ~2.5M DE. Wall upgrades are 3M per piece at this point and ~200 segments to go. By my estimates, it would take me well into next year to complete that. A year of nothing but wall and hero upgrades. Ugh.

I've maxed out everything but walls and heroes at TH9 at this point. I'm debating staying until my heroes are at lvl 30 and i have lava walls, or making a TH10 jump.

The grind is relentless at this point. Heroes are going to cost 100K-150K DE and 1 week for each upgrade. To get both the AQ and BK will take ~2.5M DE. Wall upgrades are 3M per piece at this point and ~200 segments to go. By my estimates, it would take me well into next year to complete that. A year of nothing but wall and hero upgrades. Ugh.

That is depressing. Can't wait!

I'm not sure what to recommend. I made the jump. It has been good for war, but terrible for farming. I am up against max TH10s almost ever raid and need to take full war armies. I'm sure there is a better way and I might drop a ton of trophies to see if things get better down south. After the initial burst of 9.5 I am only able to keep 2 builders running at a time and maybe 1-2 walls per week.

Holy shit, I've been absolutely murdering with the above GoWiVaHo comps today in raiding. Just murdering. Given, few bases have defensive CC, and the active ones usually have 1-3 defenses down being upgraded, but I've been slicing through every single one without fail over and over and over again, even if the defenses are maxed, and I rarely have to use more than two spells, and often my last 1-3 wiz drop late are superfluous. Sometimes I'm finishing with more than 2/3 of my units. I've been taking 6 troops instead of 8-12 for dealing with defensive cc, and devoting the rest of the slots to an extra few wiz or a wiz & two wbs. I wiped a few bases without any offensive CC of my own just to test its strength.

I think even more favorable are the abandoned bases because their traps aren't always armed. Spring traps can only launch 1 Valk at a time, but it's still a huge potential momentum killer if 4-6 of my 6 Valks get flung. Nonetheless, that's actually relatively desirable. If the Valks eat the giant bombs and the spring traps, then the Hogs just run roughshod over the the remainder of the base, especially in the 1-Golem variant where I bring 13 total Hogs. Oh yeah. I've been testing this all day with L2 Hogs in CC donated from my TH7 alts.

I think this may be the strongest TH8 comp in the game for the current patch.

I won't know for sure until I test it in war against Max TH8 defenses.

Meh, surgical hogs > all. Valks are still pretty base dependent imo.

Well, my two GoWiVa attacks were freaking rough in the JV war this time around.

I've followed up those four consecutive wipes with six consecutive 2*, now. The first three of those were timeouts with 94%, 88%, 92% dmg. The fourth was a 93% failure, but it had a chance, and a few tweaks could have wiped. So, frustrating, yeah, and I've been scrutinizing and analyzing my attacks intensively in order to ascertain the key to understanding what is costing that final few percent in those attacks, but still, it's tough not to feel good about attacks that all had such good chances of downing the opponent.

Well, one step forward in understanding, three steps back. The two bases I faced this war were both maxed, and I definitely wouldn't have attacked either with GoWiVa if this were a real war and I were trying to wipe (both were highly compartmentalized, neither had a DGB spot anywhere, and only one base had a problematic BK position). Still, both attacks were disasters, and 50ish% 1-star and 2-star failures.

The big problem is the Valks splitting. If you can keep them all in one major pack, at least for the first half of the attack, then you're gold. It's especially groovy if you can keep them grouped with your BK. His additional tanking and wallbreaking ability just help you in that early phase when 100% of the defenses are up and you are looking to get as many down as possible as quickly as possible to reduce the dps being put on your troops. If the Valks are grouped long enough that they are still all together after soaking up this early damage, and perhaps catching a giant bomb or two, then a few Heals on top of the entire pack will guarantee the wipe.

The problem is this new AI is making it impossible to keep them together. It's like 3 bitches always want to break off and end up running to the completely opposite side of the base. I end up engaging too many defenses simultaneously, and with too many Valks tanking for themselves instead of a Golem/BK soaking up some of that damage for them. I tend to lose too many Wiz this way, too, failing to keep them on the same line as the Valks, so they get in front of them along some angle and get blown up.

I tried both the 2-Golem variant (10 Valks), and then a 1-Golem variant (13 Valks) against a base that was super densely compartmentalized (it was a definite Hog target). Freaking PEKKA and Valk behavior continues to elude my understanding. I can't predict their pathing. I'm thinking of taking L4 Hogs in my CC as a possible backside cleanup helper when the Valks are thinned out, don't have tanking, and are tending to get hung up on the last walls under fire. Definitely if someone has a base where all AD's are centralized and I can funnel the Valks easily into that heart I will attempt a TH8 GoVaLo or VaLoon.

I've been running with 2 golems, but one of them is cc, which allows me to have 14 valks, along with 13 wiz, 8 wbs, 10 arch. I need that many arch to trim.

Trimming is the absolute key to herding valks, just like drags.

I'm in the same position. I'm just going to wait it out. Whatever is most advantageous for war.

Meh, surgical hogs > all. Valks are still pretty base dependent imo.
A base with well-laid spring traps will destroy Surgical Hogs. Hogs in general are much weaker since the introduction of the new buildings. It eats into their raw damage over hit points power @TH8.

This is a specific comp, and no, it isn't base dependent, or the least base dependent comp I've ever played (every comp in this game is base dependent to a degree). It doesn't suffer any of the problems that traditional GoWiVa suffers because, simply, I don't care where the Valks go. I just drop Hogs on the opposite backside.

I've been wiping the first TH8 loot behemoth I've come across effortlessly without even having to plan. I can literally pick an entry point, anywhere, and wipe. Every single raid is a wipe. Every one. It's the most brainless comp I've ever played.
I've been running with 2 golems, but one of them is cc, which allows me to have 14 valks, along with 13 wiz, 8 wbs, 10 arch. I need that many arch to trim.

Trimming is the absolute key to herding valks, just like drags.
Yeah, I've been watching you at TH9. I know the cutting principle is the same for Valks as it is for drags, but there are a few problems at TH8.

The 1-Golem variant means you can't cut very effectively. Basically, you can't pick your funnel point between the two Golems, and drop Wiz outside the Golems to create the funnel. You lose Wiz on the outside trying to create a meaningful funnel. If you drop Wiz outside to create funnel they get burned because the Golem doesn't tank a wide enough berth of a outside structures to cut the funnel entryway.

Second, the sheer radius of their re-targeting is nuts. I'll get them inside the first compartment with a traditional GoWiVa, and if I don't get the second wall down fast enough with wallbreakers (and I can't use a Heal this early and I don't have a Rage to guarantee breaks) then they will sometimes beat a retreat the same way they came in and run like 10 tiles in latitude outside the base to the next gold mine or whatever rather than break through that second wall inside.

A base with well-laid spring traps will destroy Surgical Hogs. Hogs in general are much weaker since the introduction of the new buildings. It eats into their raw damage over hit points power @TH8.

This is what I noticed as well. The increase HP of buildings made it a lot harder to finish off bases with pure hogs. Skeleton traps also started giving me problems but the poison spell should take care of them.

Lol, never came across a TH8 base that "destroys" surgical hogs.

Also don't agree hogs are weaker. They are still by far the most used troops based on all the OneHive, Powerbang, FPC, etc. videos at TH8/9. They are also the best clean up troop.

Master's 1 and dropping fast. It was easier there as a TH9.

I had the same issue in Masters. Even with the win bonus, it raiding was much more profitable in crystal. I'm going to stay there for a while

Surgical hogs is most effective at the elite level because almost all anti 3 star designs involve perimeter point defenses, which are exactly what surgical hogs are designed for. When point defenses are on the interior or simply less accessible (ala the Dragon flower base) surgical hogs really becomes less viable. However, those sorts of bases tend to lose out to GoWiWi variants, which are more common and easier to execute than surgical hogs.

Any max th8 can be wiped by either surgical hogs or hova. Even with completely abysmal execution, I've wiped war bases with both attacks.

Lol, never came across a TH8 base that "destroys" surgical hogs.
Not surprising. You're still a newb. You doubtfully have many wars against experienced high win ratio clanners who have strong bases.
Also don't agree hogs are weaker. They are still by far the most used troops based on all the OneHive, Powerbang, FPC, etc. videos at TH8/9. They are also the best clean up troop.
Hogs were incontrovertibly weakened when the Dark Spell Lab and additional Air Sweeper structures were added, and nothing was done to change their damage or hit points. The question is if they were nerfed more relative to other attacks. Cleanup is specifically their job because you have to identify problematic DGB spots.

Your claim that Hogs are "by far the most used" troops is unsubstantiated. I don't watch this stuff, anymore, since I don't need it, but OneHive doesn't have any TH8's in the main clan, so unless they've started posting full wars of their Alpha (TH7/TH8) clan or something, then I'd be interested to see how you divined this.
Surgical hogs is most effective at the elite level because almost all anti 3 star designs involve perimeter point defenses, which are exactly what surgical hogs are designed for. When point defenses are on the interior or simply less accessible (ala the Dragon flower base) surgical hogs really becomes less viable. However, those sorts of bases tend to lose out to GoWiWi variants, which are more common and easier to execute than surgical hogs.
Yep. I'm reminded of that TH8 you cleaned up in a recent war. He went down to your TH9 offense, but he was stubborn. Literally everything about his base was anti-Hog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back