News Ciryl Gane vs. Shamil Abdurakhimov and Calvin Kattar vs. Jeremy Stephens set for UFC 249 (April 18)

BooBoyMan

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/01/calvin-kattar-vs-jeremy-stephens-ufc-249

Great fights, I think Gane will completely outclass Shamil in a bloody decision or round 2/3 TKO. Gane is the best prospect at HW IMO, and this is a perfect matchup for him.

I don't think I need to say much about Kattar/Stephens lol, that fight speaks for itself. Going with Kattar on that one.

Here's the UFC 249 card so far:

Lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov (c) vs. Tony Ferguson
Women's Strawweight Jéssica Andrade vs. Rose Namajunas
Middleweight Uriah Hall vs. Ronaldo Souza
Heavyweight Ben Rothwell vs. Gian Villante
Featherweight Jeremy Stephens vs. Calvin Kattar
Heavyweight Ciryl Gane vs. Shamil Abdurakhimov
Lightweight Khama Worthy vs. Ottman Azaitar

Islam and Zabit are also most likely going to fight on this card, opponents are unknown atm however. Abdulmanap said Islam will fight CDF, but I'm not sure if that's set in stone.

How do they not have any other relevant lightweights on that card? Put Gaethje v. Poirier on there.

Wonder what Khabib thinks about Islam and Zabit being on the same card..

Seem to remember him saying for the majority of 242, he was worried about the other dagestani's..

<36>

How do they not have any other relevant lightweights on that card? Put Gaethje v. Poirier on there.
Poirier has said that he wants to fight on this card, and Gaethje has also said he'd like a rematch against Poirier, so it's definitely possible it will be set for UFC 249.

The only problem is that both guys would much rather fight Conor... So until it's decided who Conor's gonna fight next, they're not gonna be making any decisions soon.

Last edited:
If they can get cdf vs makhachev, Brian Ortega vs zabit and keep freaking Tony and khabib in bubble and stop them from overtraining, this will be up there with ufc 245 imo. Wonder if they can squeeze another title fight in there... Not that I want one or anything, just curious.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/01/calvin-kattar-vs-jeremy-stephens-ufc-249

Great fights, I think Gane will completely outclass Shamil in a bloody decision or round 2/3 TKO. Gane is the best prospect at HW IMO, and this is a perfect matchup for him.

I don't think I need to say much about Kattar/Stephens lol, that fight speaks for itself. Going with Kattar on that one.

Here's the UFC 249 card so far:

Lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov (c) vs. Tony Ferguson
Women's Strawweight Jéssica Andrade vs. Rose Namajunas
Middleweight Uriah Hall vs. Ronaldo Souza
Heavyweight Ben Rothwell vs. Gian Villante
Featherweight Jeremy Stephens vs. Calvin Kattar
Heavyweight Ciryl Gane vs. Shamil Abdurakhimov
Lightweight Khama Worthy vs. Ottman Azaitar

Islam and Zabit are also most likely going to fight on this card, opponents are unknown atm however. Abdulmanap said Islam will fight CDF, but I'm not sure if that's set in stone.

good set up fight for gane. he has looked really good in all his 3 fights but he needs a highlight KO to gain more casual fans. Cattar packs a chin and a punch, he is far more technical than stephens, maybe this is the second time jeremy gets KTFO.

Cyril Gane next UFC HW champion
With that win he's gonna be top 10, then another win against a top 5 , then a shot at the title.

This card delivers - if you are going to stick WMMA on a main card, at least give us quality and Rose vs. Andrade 2 is legit AF.

Still trying to wash the taste out of my mouth from Holly vs. Pennington 2....

<{clintugh}>

good set up fight for gane. he has looked really good in all his 3 fights but he needs a highlight KO to gain more casual fans. Cattar packs a chin and a punch, he is far more technical than stephens, maybe this is the second time jeremy gets KTFO.

Gane just doesn't have power. He is not going to be that type of fighter.

I wouldn't say he's far more technical. Stephans struggles with movement heavy fighters and so does Kattar.
Both guys are scary punchers but Stephans also uses a nice leg kick to deter opponents.

Kattar has amazing boxing combos but he doesn't have to footwork to neutralize Stephans, gonna be a fuuuun fight.

Has some power but he's more technical

He really doesn't. The last three guys he has faced are low level. Someone with power would be putting those guys away.

That's the only thing he's lacking though. The guy has looked very impressive.

I wouldn't say he's far more technical. Stephans struggles with movement heavy fighters and so does Kattar.
Both guys are scary punchers but Stephans also uses a nice leg kick to deter opponents.

Kattar has amazing boxing combos but he doesn't have to footwork to neutralize Stephans, gonna be a fuuuun fight.
Based on his two losses, he has struggled with opponents to make a kickboxing fight. Moicano lowkicked him and Zabit score vital points by kicking.

Rizvan today said that Islam and Zabit will fight on the same card with Khabib.

Yea Ciryl Gane probably the best prospect at HW, but didn't look impressive in his last bout tho
About Porier vs Gaetje, Dustin would agree to 2nd fight but Gaetje is not really interested. I guess after meeting with Dana he might change his opinion. It would be great addition.

He really doesn't. The last three guys he has faced are low level. Someone with power would be putting those guys away.

That's the only thing he's lacking though. The guy has looked very impressive.
I think that all three of his wins will age well. Boser is a tough out for anyone.

I think Gane will definitely get his share of highlight reel KOs.

Back