• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chuck Liddell steals Conor's swag

I think in this sport, it would be incredibly insane to base a purchase of that scale on one asset, one who could slip in the shower and never fight again.

I think Frankie would say Conor was a part of growing the value of the UFC but I doubt he would ever suggest Conor was singularly responsible or even a major factor. The UFC has been growing steadily and diversifying revenue streams away from the PPV model. Global exposure is certainly important and it's safe to say Conor brought new eyes to the sport internationally, but the UFC has always had new stars, and Conor just happens to be the most recent, even if he's the biggest. Getting smashed by a boxer and then by a wrestler hasn't helped him grow the sport. Just look at the number of Conor fans who have already abandoned this site.

In any case, all you can do is assume. You shouldn't assume "UFC + Conor > UFC" means Conor is the reason the UFC sold for so much and now is worth more. Assumption is dangerous.

I agree with you. I'm just saying Conor is a legend of the sport based on his accomplishments and what he has done for the sport. I don't really see how you could really argue he isn't a legend or won't be once retired. He's the biggest star in history by a mile. And it's not like he was a novelty act. He won world titles in different weight classes and beat some incredible guys with ease.

UFC sold for $4.2 billion. You really think it would have sold for that if Conor never came along? And according to @FrankieNYC It's only worth more now. He's as reliable and knowledgeable as it comes on sherdog.

Thank you man

I think in this sport, it would be incredibly insane to base a purchase of that scale on one asset, one who could slip in the shower and never fight again.

I think Frankie would say Conor was a part of growing the value of the UFC but I doubt he would ever suggest Conor was singularly responsible or even a major factor. The UFC has been growing steadily and diversifying revenue streams away from the PPV model. Global exposure is certainly important and it's safe to say Conor brought new eyes to the sport internationally, but the UFC has always had new stars, and Conor just happens to be the most recent, even if he's the biggest. Getting smashed by a boxer and then by a wrestler hasn't helped him grow the sport. Just look at the number of Conor fans who have already abandoned this site.

In any case, all you can do is assume. You shouldn't assume "UFC + Conor > UFC" means Conor is the reason the UFC sold for so much and now is worth more. Assumption is dangerous.

Both are making great points
It is tough to put a value on one fighter.
I will break down what UFC can do without a Conor PPv later
But a part of Conor's worth is intangible.
He is worth more than his direct draw because he brings eyeballs & publicity to UFC

In 2018, UFC is/was a $200m+ profit company without a single PPV.
In 2019 it will go up even more due to escalating deals & ESPN contract.

They are an extremely healthy company without Conor, but bigger with him fighting.

Would UFC have received 5 bids over $3.5b in 2016 if it wasn't for Conor/RR? No
But as @Loiosh pointed out, the bidders & the winning bidder, would not value the company as a huge money-making asset just bc of one fighter.
The reason UFC is worth much more now while the company has less popularity is due to many things not directly related to Conor.

If this was 10-15 years ago, it would be different & Conor would be worth a lot more to UFC, mainly bc they lived & died by PPV

Don't get me wrong, Conor is huge to UFC, but as he even pointed out, he only talked to Ari once in 2 years. Think of how insane that is?

I agree with you. I'm just saying Conor is a legend of the sport based on his accomplishments and what he has done for the sport. I don't really see how you could really argue he isn't a legend or won't be once retired. He's the biggest star in history by a mile. And it's not like he was a novelty act. He won world titles in different weight classes and beat some incredible guys with ease.

He's definitely a legend. He's the most famous fighter we've ever seen, and a spectacular fighter.

I feel it devalues the word "legend" to associate it with a fighter that has 3 title fight wins in the UFC, and one of them is an interim title. He may be a celebrity but as a fighter, he's a legendary hype job.

It doesnt devalue it at all. Legend simply means success and being famous. He is both of those things. Prince Naseem is a legend in boxing but he doesnt have that great of a resume.

It doesnt devalue it at all. Legend simply means success and being famous. He is both of those things. Prince Naseem is a legend in boxing but he doesnt have that great of a resume.

I just have higher standards then, if I'd call Conor a legend I'd have to call so many fighters legends that it would devalue the meaning of it. Let's just agree to disagree but I won't lower my standards.

I just have higher standards then, if I'd call Conor a legend I'd have to call so many fighters legends that it would devalue the meaning of it. Let's just agree to disagree but I won't lower my standards.

Well i wont argue with your personal definition of a term but under the common understanding of 'legend' Conor is one.

Well i wont argue with your personal definition of a term but under the common understanding of 'legend' Conor is one.

I can agree with one accepted meaning of legend.

According to Merriam-Webster: "A popular myth of recent origin, i.e. the legend of the Loch Ness monster."

Words can have more than one meaning.

2An extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field.

‘the man was a living legend’

‘a screen legend’

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/legend

Which is to say Conor is famous, he's a star, I agree and also don't care, the Backstreet Boys are legends too, doesn't mean their music is great, they just appeal to the lowest common denominator. As a MMArtist, which is the only thing I care about, he hasn't earned that title.

Which is to say Conor is famous, he's a star, I agree and also don't care, the Backstreet Boys are legends too, doesn't mean their music is great, they just appeal to the lowest common denominator. As a MMArtist, which is the only thing I care about, he hasn't earned that title.

i dont understand. The first part of your post above says he is a legend and then the other part just tries to downplay it because you don't like him.

First page gave me hope for Sherdog

Chuck fans are in shambles

Lol @ how delusional you have to be to think Chuck has a greater legacy than Mcgregor
Chuck fans? Maybe 15 years ago... the time when Chuck Tito Randy GSP Hughes BJ and Franklin were building the UFC with their sweat blood and tears before it was cool to be rolling around on a mat with other dudes. You are a Noob.
"16 years old at my first UFC event. I dived on Chuck Liddell! He didn't know what was happening haha!!" Conor know's what's up. Conor fans don't I guess.
BnMteOqCQAA-vq1.jpg

i dont understand. The first part of your post above says he is a legend and then the other part just tries to downplay it because you don't like him.

Legend as in famous = agree.
Legend based SOLELY on fighting ability and resume INSIDE the Octagon, disagree.

3 tiltle wins, 1 of those being an interim, LW title shot was given due to popularity without having earned it, lots of cans on his resume, never defended a belt and he's one-dimensional. Conor is a legend entertainer and self-promoter, but as a FIGHTER and MMARTIST, he's a legend as in myth.

Josh Mario already looked like this in 2013

f5725eb9978b7bb90798a5be5b4c7be3.jpg

Conor looked like this back then

ufuel9_04_mcgregor_vs_brimage_004.jpg

He swagger jacked a male model and stole some lines from WWE and WCW, and a bunch of sheep ate it up and made him rich.

<36>

So you have no source other than some obscure Canadian model had a similar look? Lol, ok.

Wrong, Conor is a legend, Chuck is just a brawler who wouldn't even have made it into the modern UFC. Everyone knows Conor the Legend, no one knows Chuck the regional circuit tier fighter.

Sam Alvey, Gian Villante, Ed Herman, Corey Anderson, Patrick Cummins, Anthony Smith, OSP get absolutely slept by prime Chuck and that's just off the top of my head excluding a lot of fights with upper-tier LHW's that are too close to call. Chuck circa 2005 was one of the best to have ever done it at 205 rpounds. Those days are clearly past now but it doesn't diminish the fact that he was an amazing fighter that would have been a force in any era of LHW's, today's included.

Back