Chub = No Sub?

This is great, I now have an excuse to only eat cake and crisps. if anyone tells me i'm ruining my health my answer will be I'm on the Fedor diet and it will prevent me getting subbed.

SmashiusClay said:
This is great, I now have an excuse to only eat cake and crisps. if anyone tells me i'm ruining my health my answer will be I'm on the Fedor diet and it will prevent me getting subbed.

Haha. I'm going to start stacking up soon, I can really see this taking over the Atkins stuff also.

I kind of see his point but I'm not sure. I train mainly gi so a big chubby guy vs a muscly guy is 50/50. Maybe it is a slight effect no gi?

I train no gi but i havn't faught anyone with fedors body type ever, granted i weight 160 so most of the people i roll with weight 175-185ish but still no fedors there.

I personally couldn't see it playing that big of a roll in getting out of subs, i think it's fedors explosiveness and use of his entire body that gets him out of bad situations.

The only thing that extra weight helps with is, given his Judo/Sambo background, he can push that large frame into your guard and generate serious power for his punches, whereas long skinny guys just open themselves up for sweeps and armbars.

I'm 6'2", and about 230 with that boxey build... To me, it just means I can trim down and have power at 205.

In a way it makes sense. It is hard to grab something something round and smooth than it is to grab something that is angular. However in this context it doesn't make much sense otherwise Sentoryu, Akebono and Mark Hunt would never get subbed.

Yeah i somehow think that his skill at avoiding subs has much more to do with his success!!

knoxpk said:
Yeah i somehow think that his skill at avoiding subs has much more to do with his success!!
You mean you don't think that the only reason he's the pride HW champ is because he's slightly overweight?

Heresy.

Wouldn't you think that his "love handles" would make him easier to grab and control? lol

villasenor said:

Me 3!

Hahaha, classic reasoning here. People sub me. My smoothness preventing subs defense rarely works I guess and I got a black belt in smoothness. Hahaha.

Superbeast said:
In a way it makes sense. It is hard to grab something something round and smooth than it is to grab something that is angular. However in this context it doesn't make much sense otherwise Sentoryu, Akebono and Mark Hunt would never get subbed.

Point taken and all but I must say Hunt has looked good on the ground for a kickboxer. On the otherside their is perhaps no shame in being subed by a Gracie like Akebono, but to be put in a Kimura by Giant freaking Silva like Sentoryu is seriously not good!

SmashiusClay:
Damn skippy, my thought exactly. I've been on the Fedor diet through my whole training career and I'm not giving it up.

no doubt. i was just going to go do some cardio, but i think i'll just eat some pie and watch tv.... glad i read this thread.

stephensharp said:

Thank you. This may have just made my day.

Nog blames Fedor's pudginess for his innability to compete with him. Beautiful.

Knob.

Back