chruch st boxing vs trinity st boxing nyc

absx88

White Belt
Reaction score
Moving to NYC and need a gym to train. Trinity is closer to my work/apt but Church has western and MT apparently. I could forgo MT if the quality at trinity were a lot better in general, or could walk longer to church if it has better trainers (plus MT!).

Anyone train here? Instructors? Crowded (I'd be going early morn or late night)? I don't know chruch rates but trinity is 200 for unlimited w/ 1 year, about 80-90 min sessions. Seems like an OK deal (those not used to nyc prices, don't comment).

Best Boxing Gym in Manhattan IMO is Mendez Boxing...

Just check out their website. Pretty good rates it seems. But unlimited or not? What is difference in quality between this and church and trinity?? Just cos mendez is a few metro stops away..

Like I said earlier I'm rlly interested in knowing about churcHbecause besides wedtern boxing really interested in MT .

Moving to NYC and need a gym to train. Trinity is closer to my work/apt but Church has western and MT apparently. I could forgo MT if the quality at trinity were a lot better in general, or could walk longer to church if it has better trainers (plus MT!).

Anyone train here? Instructors? Crowded (I'd be going early morn or late night)? I don't know chruch rates but trinity is 200 for unlimited w/ 1 year, about 80-90 min sessions. Seems like an OK deal (those not used to nyc prices, don't comment).

First off, what is your background and what are your "training goals", that better helps answer the question.

Both good gyms, NYC has no shortage of good boxing gyms. Your probably gonna pay more at Church.

Kingsway & Mendez are both good gyms as well, bit farther to commute for you though. If your that close to Church, Trinity.

If you can make the commute, go to Gleasons in Brooklyn! My opinion, it is the best gym in NYC.

For that price, and if you're interested in MT, then I'd recommend 5 Points Academy.

Oh and if anyone knows the name of the MT instructor at Churst St Boxing please post it since I'm curious as well.

First off, what is your background and what are your "training goals", that better helps answer the question.

Both good gyms, NYC has no shortage of good boxing gyms. Your probably gonna pay more at Church.

Kingsway & Mendez are both good gyms as well, bit farther to commute for you though. If your that close to Church, Trinity.

If you can make the commute, go to Gleasons in Brooklyn! My opinion, it is the best gym in NYC.

Actually I have no background in any fighting style but have been doing a lot of research. I'm been interested in MT and boxing for years but couldn't get around to it because life got in the way. Now that I can wana start off with the right people + not getting ripped off!

I know there are quite a few boxing gyms I just prefer the (very) downtown area for commute purposes, and specifically in church because it has boxing and MT.

For that price, and if you're interested in MT, then I'd recommend 5 Points Academy.

Yeah I looked at 5points and the wat but they seem to be super crowded all the time, plus don't open very early, and don't have ver convenient class schedules. Or am I wrong? What does 200/mo get you at 5points in any case?

Actually I have no background in any fighting style but have been doing a lot of research. I'm been interested in MT and boxing for years but couldn't get around to it because life got in the way. Now that I can wana start off with the right people + not getting ripped off!

I know there are quite a few boxing gyms I just prefer the (very) downtown area for commute purposes, and specifically in church because it has boxing and MT.

Yeah I looked at 5points and the wat but they seem to be super crowded all the time, plus don't open very early, and don't have ver convenient class schedules. Or am I wrong? What does 200/mo get you at 5points in any case?

Church, Trinity, Gleasons, Mendez, 5 points...... they all have the "right people" for a new student. Any of these gyms are going to have both students and coaches in them that will be helpful for a beginner. As for individual attention, your not going to get a whole lot in any of these gyms without taking privates. That said, you will likely get enough attention that you will have proper guidance (from both students/coaches). If your curious about both boxing and MT, and the commute is convenient, Church's is a good option. The other nice thing about some boxing gyms is that they have a couple scheduled classes, but often the fees allow you to go anytime you want to just use the gym equipment and facilities. Truth is, when i started i got a whole lot more individual instruction by just showing up and working on the bags/etc.... Often one of the coaches or senior students would just walk by and give some pointers....... like a free "mini private" lesson. I know that Mendez, Gleasons and Trinity from what i remember (been several years though) your dues cover use of the facility anytime. I don't believe you will have that option with 5points (but i could be wrong), and i would imagine Church's is open gym too. Either way, I suggest just going to a couple different gyms and trying them out. They will all usually allow that (Gleason's didnt when i was there). Additionally, dont just go once, go to each gym 3-4 times over the course of a week or two, it will give you a better sense of what to expect.

As for fees - 200$ is pretty standard in NYC as a membership fee to a boxing gym (which may or may not include structured classes), hop a train to Jersey if ya want 40-50$ a month fees........ :D

For 200/month you'll get all access at 5 Points. All Muay Thai classes, and they have a ton throughout the day (check the schedule posted on the site), a weight room, kettlebells, stick fighting, judo, etc. Big downside recently is that Eddie Martinez, who recently turned pro, left the gym after his last fight. His classes were the best.

Hell yeah he can. He lives in lower Manhattan. The "commute" would be 15 minutes, if that much. :D

For 200/month you'll get all access at 5 Points. All Muay Thai classes, and they have a ton throughout the day (check the schedule posted on the site), a weight room, kettlebells, stick fighting, judo, etc. Big downside recently is that Eddie Martinez, who recently turned pro, left the gym after his last fight. His classes were the best.

So all-access and unlimited classes?

Will check all out, but final verdict looks like gleasons for boxing (yeah I'm pretty close... But still a "commute" vs church and trinity that are walking distance) and 5points for MT. I really like that church has MT and boxing but haven't gotten many replies about it, and nada on trinity.

Jason Strout teaches muay Thai at Church Street. He used to train and fight under Duke Roufus in Milwaukee. He was an amateur IKF National champion twice I think. His teaches a Dutch style of MT and has good hands. He's fought both muay Thai and boxing.He is a very hands on coach and in addition to the nightly MT classes, teaches fighters classes in the daytime. I'm not sure of the prices, but he is a good coach and worth checking out.

Boxing gym is not about the gym, its about the coaches. Each gym has like 10-15 trainers. Gleasons has like 30

Boxing gym is not about the gym, its about the coaches. Each gym has like 10-15 trainers. Gleasons has like 30

I think people (ok at least me) ask about the gym meaning quality of trainers. Gleason has top-notch, cecked them out already. I am just unclear as to how pricing works. Website says a bit over 500/mo for six month membershhip plus free 7th month,.. But says nothing about classes etc. Then they have a separate pg of trainers w/ their individual costs/hour. In that case, paying gym membership + a trainer by the hour will cost an arm and a leg.

Gleason's is a great gym but very expensive....

that's why recommend Mendez...the trainers over there are excellent and its cheaper than Gleason's.....

I've trained at Church Street for a few months its a good gym for beginners but I would go some where else if you want hardcore training....

IMO Mendez would be a better choice....

I think people (ok at least me) ask about the gym meaning quality of trainers. Gleason has top-notch, cecked them out already. I am just unclear as to how pricing works. Website says a bit over 500/mo for six month membershhip plus free 7th month,.. But says nothing about classes etc. Then they have a separate pg of trainers w/ their individual costs/hour. In that case, paying gym membership + a trainer by the hour will cost an arm and a leg.

Co-sign.....

I've also trained at Gleason's......

Gleason's charges a gym fee....which is about 70-90 a month....

if you want personal training expect to pay about 200+ a month.....add the gym fee....

its a great gym...alot of pro's train at Gleason's....the trainers are also excellent...but its not cheap....GOOD LUCK.....

Not everyone there is a good trainer. I know people who trained there and said they havent learned a thing. Theres no point of going to the best gym if you are going to end up with a crap trainer. Without a doubt though Gleasons will make you have a resume to be their trainer.

Anyway people who train there told me it totals to about 150 a month or something after all the math.

Not everyone there is a good trainer. I know people who trained there and said they havent learned a thing. Theres no point of going to the best gym if you are going to end up with a crap trainer. Without a doubt though Gleasons will make you have a resume to be their trainer.

Anyway people who train there told me it totals to about 150 a month or something after all the math.

Gleason's have trainers for everyone.....its hard not to learn anything in that gym....

you can always change your trainer if he sucks....they have great trainers there....

150 a month.....nope...try 200+

Mendez you're paying over 150 a month

I've seen a lot of Church Street guys fight at Friday Night Fights, they always seem to deliver. Lot's of solid boxers there. I know more about the MT side, as I have few friends who fight under Church Street. Jason Strout is the MT trainer there and he is great and incorporates a lot of boxing (Pretty sure he teaches pure boxing too) I know of a few of his MT fighters who actually fight boxing matches also. I think it says a lot when a muay thai fighter can step into some boxing boots and do well. Definitely recommend Church St. If you can try the muay thai out too!

Back