Chris Weidman’s first opponent at Light Heavyweight

Yes, Smith is that good. He just ran into Jon Jones. He has looked like a beast.

Give Weidman Corey Anderson for his first fight.
I would like that matchup since Corey Anderson is close to a title shot

It could be Anthony Smith, just to build up a new contender in there name of Chris Weidman. However, it would be a low risk, high reward fight because Smith ain't that good but he's built a name after beating Gus.
yeah, smith's star is gonna fall real quick.

Smith's lackluster record is mostly a result of him going pro too soon. He started 5-6, and after going 8-7, he has been 24-7. Not a bad record at all. If he had waited a couple more years to go pro his record wouldn't look like it does.

We've seen this kind of thing before, and while I don't think Smith will ever win a world title, the disrespect he gets here for what is essentially a poor early career showing is ridiculous. He has obviously hit his prime in the last few years. Before the Jones fight he was 14-2 in his last 16. And after the Jones fight he gets a win over Gus.

Hi Chris
I wouldnt mind seeing Chris vs Glover or Reyes. But the fight i would most care for would be a rematch with Rockhold at 205.

Why? Cannonier fights at MW these days and has looked good beating Branch and Anderson. Plenty of risk sure, but where's the high reward in fighting a guy ranked 10th at MW?
There are a lot of middleweights in the UFC. Beating someone in the top 10 means a lot no matter who you are

Would love to see Weidman vs Johnny Walker, Glover or Anthony Smith.

I would like that matchup since Corey Anderson is close to a title shot
No he isn't. 8-4 in the UFC isn't that great of a record, he's not that highly ranked, and he's dull as hell to watch. He's been knocked out four times and only has one finish against some unranked can. He's not getting a title shot anytime soon.

He wants a name so Anthony Smith or rematch with Rockhold at 205 makes sense to me.

There are a lot of very talented fighters who would give Chris issues but most of them aren't big names yet. All depends on whether the ufc see the move up as a chance for Chris to have another run or to be fed ro guys like Walker to help establish them.

There are a lot of middleweights in the UFC. Beating someone in the top 10 means a lot no matter who you are
You read the thread title though right? He's not fighting at MW in the foreseeable future. Even if he was considering Weidman is ranked 7th there is little almost nigh on nothing for him to gain beyond arresting a bit of a recent career slump. By that token you should throw him a LHW can so he can at least start off in a new division with a win.

Thank you.

The disrespect for Smith is obnoxious. He just made Gustafson into a lifeless corpse, he is absolutely legit. I'd pick him to kick the shit out of Weidman.

Funny how people on here were gargling Gus' balls for the last 7-8 years until Smith murdered him then instantly changed their tune.
There were both middleweights and now, Weidman would win since he is more skilled than Smith

Back