Chris Farley as Shrek (1997 Story Reel)

Kiddo716

Cubic Zirconia Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So everyone know Chris had all the lines recorded to Shrek and then died. They brought in Myers to re-record and the rest is history. Here is a sample of Chris's work. After watching, I prefer Myers. What made Farley funny was his physical comedy.

[YT]watch?v=IcqJgC0WZ3o[/YT]

I really didn't know Farley was gonna be Shrek, it's crazy listening to it. Man was he awesome.

I kinda like it. Obviously it sounds weird because we're already used to 4 movies with Myers. But I personally don't like Myers' voice, it was always very irritating to me.

Nice, I've been waiting to hear this. I think Farley was pretty good as Shrek.

That's ace, cheers TS. I also had no idea he was going to be Shrek.. I'm glad Myers did it though...

Sucks that Myers had to do it. I really enjoyed Farley's take on the part.

I feel like Farley's version didn't have any character to it compared to Myers, but that's just me.

Didn't Myers first voice Shrek with a stereotypical Canadian accent (no doot aboot it), before scrapping it and going with the Scottish accent?

I feel like Farley's version didn't have any character to it compared to Myers, but that's just me.

Yeah it just sounded like Chris Farley. I did get a chuckle out of "LEAVE MY PARENTS OUT TA THIS!".

626247b44a90df5863d4a64093c1757b.jpg

Didn't Myers first voice Shrek with a stereotypical Canadian accent (no doot aboot it), before scrapping it and going with the Scottish accent?

Which we had already heard him do in So I Married an Axe Murderer and then again in Austin Powers as Fat Bastard.

They're completely different takes on the accent though.

I actually loved his dad character in SIMAAM. By the time fat bastard came around I was over it. I'm not close to enough Scottish people to be able to distinguish between the different dialects/accents. I didn't even know there were different dialects to be honest.

I'm just not really a fan of his. A guy a work with said Victoria Jackson came to his school to and spoke to the class and she said Mike Meyers was a real pain in the ass to work with on SNL. He had to have his input on every sketch and when he didn't he would pout like a baby.

That being said, I did really like the first Wayne's World, first and second Austin Powers, and SIMAAM.

I've always thought he was talented, possibly a bit nuts ala Robin Williams so totally believe that he was difficult to work with.

Having said that, his take on Shrek is just right. Being a voice actor takes more than just reading from a script. He does this wonderfully, as did Eddie Murphy as Donkey. I don't think it would have been as popular a series as it became without Meyers.

I've always thought he was talented, possibly a bit nuts ala Robin Williams so totally believe that he was difficult to work with.

Having said that, his take on Shrek is just right. Being a voice actor takes more than just reading from a script. He does this wonderfully, as did Eddie Murphy as Donkey. I don't think it would have been as popular a series as it became without Meyers.

Familiarity is difficult to see beyond. If Meyers had died and the only Shrek you knew was Farley's then you would likely be saying right now that the series would not have been the same without Farley.

I'd say that's a fair statement. Also...

Lol, we both pulled one of those in a row so I had to post this.

Familiarity is difficult to see beyond. If Meyers had died and the only Shrek you knew was Farley's then you would likely be saying right now that the series would not have been the same without Farley.

Agreed, I was actually surprised by how well Farley's voice fit. I liked it.

Shit's weird. Maybe I've seen the first Shrek movie too many times to imagine any other voice, but it just doesn't fit imo.

There's a new doc about him coming out. Saw the commercial the other day. Forget what channel though.

[Yt]aofacg_Gy0E[/MEDIA]

I disagree. Farley's humor came from him being over the top, either while bring obnoxious and loud out with physical humor. Eddie Murphy would have stolen the whole movie of it was those two. Mike Myers' voice work and timing is what makes him funny. Myers and Murphy balance each other out in the movie. Farley sounded like he wasn't doing much more than reading the script.

Back