China Stops Sales Of Windows 8 On All Government Desktop Computers

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
China is completely switching over to Linux primarily a customized version of Ubuntu for the Chinese use. Currently over 90 percent of the Chinese offices use Microsoft Windows OS. This is a huge and very damaging thing to happen to Microsoft. Apparently China was very unhappy about the fact that Microsoft dropped Windows XP support. A good chunk of Chinese Government agencies still where running XP so when Microsoft ended legacy support on XP it effected them. It left a good size chunk of Chinese government agencies without support and China was also upset about the costs to upgrade. China now joins Germany and France ending or cutting back future purchases of Microsoft products.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2157...chases-of-windows-8-surprising-microsoft.html

In retaliation of the US DOJ indicting Chinese officials for hacking, China has halted cybersecurity cooperation after the U.S. spying charges leveled against them

China halted the dialogue and threatened further retaliation after the U.S. indicted five Chinese military officials yesterday for allegedly stealing trade secrets. China’s Foreign Ministry called the U.S. move a “serious violation of the basic norms of international relations,” while China’s State Internet Information Office likened the U.S. actions to “a thief yelling ‘Catch the thief.’”

The Chinese have published counter-data claiming the U.S. is the largest cyber-attacker.

Latest data from the National Computer Network Emergency Response Technical Team Coordination Center of China (NCNERTTCC) showed that from March 19 to May 18, a total of 2,077 Trojan horse networks or botnet servers in the US directly controlled 1.18 million host computers in China.

The NCNERTTCC found 135 host computers in the US carrying 563 phishing pages targeting Chinese websites that led to 14,000 phishing operations. In the same period, the center found 2,016 IP addresses in the US had implanted backdoors in 1,754 Chinese websites, involving 57,000 backdoor attacks.

And not that anyone actually uses or should use Windows 8, but in retaliatory "sanctions," China has banned the use of Microsoft's Windows 8 on all government computers as a blow to U.S. tech.

Tit for tat I suppose. But the U.S. is playing a dangerous game that only risks escalation on all fronts, be it Russia or China.

I'm sure the Chinese were ecstatic--- "FINALLY we have an excuse to stop buying this garbage operating system and not seem like we're not up with the times!""

In retaliation of the US DOJ indicting Chinese officials for hacking, China has halted cybersecurity cooperation after the U.S. spying charges leveled against them

The Chinese have published counter-data claiming the U.S. is the largest cyber-attacker.

And not that anyone actually uses or should use Windows 8, but in retaliatory "sanctions," China has banned the use of Microsoft's Windows 8 on all government computers as a blow to U.S. tech.

Tit for tat I suppose. But the U.S. is playing a dangerous game that only risks escalation on all fronts, be it Russia or China.

Very interesting, thanks for the info. Excellent signature, btw.

Not a move bad, Linux is a gazillion times better than windows.

I'm guessing they found a way for easier spying capabilities by other nations, who could that be? :icon_lol:

I'm still using Windows 7, with no intention to switching over. Microsoft comes out with a stinker for every two generation of good products, i.e. Windows 2000 to Windows 95/98. They've been on a decent streak with XP, Vista and Windows 7, so I'll forgive them for Windows 8.

Horrible news. Now Ubuntu users can expect more security threats and exploits in the future.

I hate Windows 8 so fucking much it's so fucking gay

8.1 my ass too

Like it matters when 99 percent of MS software in China is stolen anyways. MS has pitiful total Chinese revenues because they steal software so aggressively.

Ps windows 8 is garbage and I can't imagine anybody paying for it.

Back