• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

China Retaliates Against Trump Tariffs

Between China slapping on tariff and Trump slamming Amazon, US stock market is getting the shit beat out of it. The worst part is that China's countermeasures are aimed at the steel and aluminum tariffs imposed last month, and they still haven't officially retaliated against the $50 billion tariff announced in March yet. I don't know how some retards think US is going to win a trade war, when we're in the late stage of a boom cycle headed for a downturn. Trade is not a zero sum game, and nobody has ever "won" in a trade war. Countries did that shit in the Great Depression, and all it did was delay the recovery.

China isn't winning, and neither is Murica under Trump. Most of the top Chinese exporters to US are actually American owned investments. They get to produce the goods for cheap in China by creating foreign subsidiaries, thereby increasing profit margin. A crackdown on Chinese goods also means a direct hit to those US companies with investments in China, since it's their own products that are being targeted.

The ignorance in this thread is incredible.

It's maddening and I would like to know what Trump's end game is.

He has no clear goals other than fucking with people.

lol, I'm sure you can survive without dollar store toys.

I can only assume you're poor without any investments considering you're okay with this. What measurable outcome will this impact positively for Americans? Pretty sure guys like @JonesBones aren't exactly liberal, so you come off as a partisan/Trump hack here.

Any Trump stupidity is good by you if it bothers anyone to the left of YOU, yeah?
If you're a Trump voter, it's time to swing back towards the center, away from the crazy.

Trump voters can't imagine opposable thumbs, so it is a futile task for you to expect them to know what the word "center" means.

Only $3B? When Trump is putting $60B in tariffs? What am I missing here?

They retaliated because they basically had to in order to not look weak. But it's basically the equivalent of slapping the wrist of someone that just fucked your wife. It's pretty obvious that China wants no part in trade war vs the US.

America holds way more power than China. China really needs to export to US's consumer market. US could care less, there are cheaper alternatives to China these days.

$3 billion in tariffs is not even 1% of the $350 billion trade deficit with China. Barely a blip in the system.

This will hurt farmers the most, which are generally Trump voters. Trumps screws everyone who trusts him sooner or later.

What did he do to lose their trust? Being tough on trade particularly against China was one of the main platforms he ran on. You're not screwing someone over when they elect you to do something you said you were going to do to begin with.

You sure about that ?

How much US debt does China hold?

I really wish people would stop with this argument. We would respond with a trade embargo if they did this. Dumping our debt is going nuclear in a trade war.

Even if they did this. The FED takes shits in the morning bigger then the trillion in US debt China owns.

How does putting a tariff on pork hurt the US? The chinese have been buying up almost all US pork production they can get to feed their people. making it less desirable to sell to them hurts them more then us.

Actually the Chinese have already slowly been dumping the dollar since October, this tariff imposed by Trump is actually a response to that.

Not to mention that China, Russia and Iran are all dumping the dollar and China has adopted the Petro-Yuan and no longer using the Petrodollar to purchase oil.

The response by China is actually their 2nd move in this economic war which will precede military conflict. Thats why the tariffs by China were so light, most of Chinas cards are in other places anyways. But trust me there will be more to come from China.

Also Trump has even gone on record saying that China is not a currency manipulator yet theres still sheep on here spouting the same crap.

TBH, I find Americans and especially people here on Sherdog to be particularly ignorant on China and the Pacific region as a whole. They know alot about places to party in SEA but other than that they are clueless.

You still think they only make dollar store products and are a bunch of incompetent idiots that can't even make an engine. Yet they're about to embark on the greatest trade route project in world history, a project that America is largely excluded from, they have IPs like Alibaba that are rivaling the likes of Amazon, they have their own high tech products releasing like Huawei, Xaomi, etc. They have a military budget of roughly 300 million and estimated to be higher.

The funny thing is that actual military pundits and economists respect China's abilties way more than the laymen American who believes himself to be invincible. Willfull ignorance and their disgusting level of arrogance will ultimately be their downfall.

why? US did more (and still is) damage on a global scale than china ever did

Yea but those nasty Chinamen pollute the planet......

Oh whats that? The US has the highest carbon emissions per capita? Nah, nah, nah, nah I can't hear you, Murica fuck yea, nah, nah.

Yea what about Human rights violations, those dirty ch!nks are savages!

Oh whats that? The US has the most executions and highest incarceration rate, oh and they murdered 30 million civilians since WW2. Nah, nah, nah, nah, I can't hear you, Murica FUCK YEA!!!! Freedom bitches, freedom from living, the freedom for children to die slowly over the course of days stuck in rubble caused by bombings, fuck yea we're so righteous. Jesus has our back, fuck yea!!!!!!!!

Eveyone look at us, we're the GOOD GUYS, because Hollywood told me so and told me that people that look like me are the good guys, John Wayne MUDAFUCKA!!

Last edited:
How much of China's economy depends on us importing their shit? We are in bed together.
US actually only accounts for about 15% of China's exports, not as important as you'd think. These measures are for the steel and aluminum tariff announced earlier this month. The full extent of their countermeasures has yet to be revealed for the $50 billion tariff Trump announced last week. Meanwhile, DOW and NASDAQ wiped out all of their gains in the last 200 days in the past week alone.

Another slap on the wrist :)
Wonder what the stock market will do today.

China announces new tariffs on 106 US products, including soy, cars, and chemicals

The effective start date for the new charges will be revealed at a later time, though China's Ministry of Commerce said the tariffs are designed to target up to $50 billion of U.S. products annually.
The 25 percent levy on U.S. imports includes products such as soybeans, cars and whisky, Beijing said.
The move comes less than 24 hours after President Donald Trump unveiled a list of Chinese imports that his administration aims to target as part of a crackdown on what the president deems unfair trade practices.

China announced additional tariffs on 106 U.S. products on Wednesday, in a move likely to heighten global concerns of a tit-for-tat trade war between the world's biggest economies.

The effective start date for the new charges will be revealed at a later time, though China's Ministry of Commerce said the tariffs are designed to target up to $50 billion of U.S. products annually.

The 25 percent levy on U.S. imports includes products such as soybeans, cars and whisky, Beijing said.

Trade showdown
The move comes less than 24 hours after President Donald Trumpunveiled a list of Chinese imports that his administration aims to target as part of a crackdown on what the president deems unfair trade practices.

Sectors covered by Trump's proposed tariffs include products used for robotics, information technology, communication technology and aerospace.

The trade showdown between Washington and Beijing has rattled investors and fueled market fears that the dispute could soon spiral into a full-blown trade war.

Back