Chin and size of the head

Penn has a huge neck for his body. It's the biggest in the LW division. He has the neck of a LHW, lol

He has a very flat face with a neck that is as big as his leg and a chin that doesn't stick out. Dude is hard to knock out for kind of a reason.

"Some boxing experts, such as Teddy Atlas, believe it to be a mindframe. Additionally, some fighters have been known to have better chins as a result of moving up to a higher weight class. One example of this is Miguel Cotto, who was seen as having a relatively weak chin at light welterweight but was harder to hurt once he moved up to welterweight."

Source: wikipedia

That makes no sense at all.

I always thought it had more to do with the shortness & thickness of the neck, and the bone structure vs the actual size of their head.

But, it is hard to argue against. A lot of big headed beards out there. Is Roy's head all that large in comparison to his body, though? Might be some holes in the theory.

BJ-Penn.png

His head looks pretty big for LW.

It's all jawline. The three best chins (Hunt, Penn, Hendo) in MMA history all share the same shape. I wonder why that is.

You wanna know why? Because it's harder to catch a guy perfectly on a chin like that. The sweet spot is hidden better.

Guys with thicker necks and jaws, and with bigger heads, seem to be able to take bigger hits than others. Chris Lytle is the exception to the rule.

Bigfoot has a comparably poor chin and Penn has a great one.

Penn has a very wide jaw.

I've definitely noticed that tall, skinny fighters usually don't have very good beards. There are a lot of factors to consider, but a substantially larger head possesses more inertia which must be overcome in order to move it from a its ordinary position. Tall, skinny fighters usually have long, skinny necks and smaller heads. I think this is a reason why they get put out a little bit easier than a more robustly built fighter.

Of course, Nick Diaz proves that there's a lot more at work than just the size of your head when it comes to taking a shot. Insanity and ADD, for instance...

. Chris Lytle is the exception to the rule.

So are you saying Lytle has a great chin? Cuz he's been fucking laid out by most of the power punchers he's faced and a few guys who weren't even known as strikers (Kevin Burns was SO close to finishing him). Lytle's chin doesn't suck, but his toughness and conditioning are what pulled him through so many wars (most of which he lost, tbh).

His fight with Joe Riggs was an amazing example of this. If you haven't seen what Joe Riggs did to him in the first round, go check it out and be amazed.

I've definitely noticed that tall, skinny fighters usually don't have very good beards. There are a lot of factors to consider, but a substantially larger head possesses more inertia which must be overcome in order to move it from a its ordinary position. Tall, skinny fighters usually have long, skinny necks and smaller heads. I think this is a reason why they get put out a little bit easier than a more robustly built fighter.

Of course, Nick Diaz proves that there's a lot more at work than just the size of your head when it comes to taking a shot. Insanity and ADD, for instance...

that's the first thing I thought of when I saw this guy: "He can't take a punch", lol probably easy to choke too

90b6ac3148514cf95fdf0e71.png

WTF did I read? lol

Psychological? That's the reason you think fighters who have been KO'd are more easily KO'd?

Guess that applies to other contact sports too then.

Anyways, I don't think there's a correlation in head/chin size. Neck size maybe has a bit but, the biggest determining factor is "seeing" the shots coming, even a minimal reaction is better than the blindside shot.

Cote and Diaz have average sized heads and they have two of the best chins in MMA.

One look at Cabbage Correira and you'll believe in the big head good chin theory.

came her to post this, happy to see it is on the first page. Great video, he explains it well. It's about elminating the recoil of your head after impact. Short thick neck, strong jaw muscles, big head... all come into play.

Back