Childrens belt ranks in BJJ

Valiss

Reaction score
We've all seen the McDojo with the 11 year old black belt. But in BJJ what's the hiest level a kid can go? If I'm assuming here that BJJ doesn't promote kids to black, what age can they obtain said belt? Thank for your insight!

TSK had a 6 year old black belt....she was on Regis and Kelly. Sydney levy from Great Neck NY. She was awesome for her age!!!

Not every art labels black belts as masters....some consider a black belt to have the basics perfect then your real training begins. Keep that in mind before you label every school with a young black belt a McDojo (however TSK IS a McDojo lol)

Welcome to Tiger Schulmann's Mixed Martial Arts

I believe it is green belt before the age of 16

for children it is white, yellow, orange, green. Green the being the highest they can go until either 16 or 18. I'm not sure which. Where they go back to a white belt to compete in adult division and rank to blue, purple, etc. as everyone else does.

I believe that is correct. don't quite me 100%

You're right.

I've never seen a green belt, I think it's probably the rarest belt except for red!

You're right.

I've never seen a green belt, I think it's probably the rarest belt except for red!

I saw some at the gracie invitational. Theres something scary about 6 year olds competing at bjj!

Here I am.

EDIT: To make this post useful, belts are so overrated I wish there were BJJ gyms that just abandon it.

No one can get a blue belt before turning 16 years old. No one can be given a black belt before turning 18 years old. Some schools have belts they give to children to recognize achievement or improvement, I've heard of yellow and green belts being given, but never any of the adult colors.

I would imagine that a lot of green/whatever belts are given their blue shortly after they turn 16, and that some of them, if they've been training for many years as kids, rise through the ranks very, very quickly after that.

We've all seen the McDojo with the 11 year old black belt. But in BJJ what's the hiest level a kid can go? If I'm assuming here that BJJ doesn't promote kids to black, what age can they obtain said belt? Thank for your insight!

Green belt with 4 stripes is the absolute highest rank a child under 16 can recieve. after that is blue belt when they turn 16.

Technically at 18 you can recieve a black belt if you're ready, but most do not until at least 19. Kron Gracie is a perfect example.

You're right.

it was rare, but now a lot of schools are using it as a "high white belt" for adults. now you see them all over the place in states like florida.

personally I don't like the idea.

Have you ever heard of a kid skipping right to purple or brown when they turn 16? Some 16 year olds are pretty developed physically. I'd imagine someone that has been training for a long time and is a gifted athlete could be competetive with higher level adults.

Green belt with 4 stripes is the absolute highest rank a child under 16 can recieve. after that is blue belt when they turn 16.

Technically at 18 you can recieve a black belt if you're ready, but most do not until at least 19. Kron Gracie is a perfect example.

Ok so let's say a kid gets his green belt. When he turns 16 (or 18) does he get to put on a blue belt, or does he have to start all over at white? Or something else altogether?

Ok so let's say a kid gets his green belt. When he turns 16 (or 18) does he get to put on a blue belt, or does he have to start all over at white? Or something else altogether?

no, they have to go to blue. Blue is the belt after green.

As for skipping blue. I've wondered about this myself, and I'm sure it has happened, but technically they have to be a blue belt at least for a short while.

I saw some at the gracie invitational. Theres something scary about 6 year olds competing at bjj!

refereeing kid's matches really sucks. somtimes they cry before, during or after the match.
worst of all they are really flexible, so armbars, etc. look brutal on them.

refereeing kid's matches really sucks. somtimes they cry before, during or after the match.
worst of all they are really flexible, so armbars, etc. look brutal on them.

You have to be really carefull with subs in kids competition due to the above reason.

Also, watch out for their neck as they have no sense of safety.

Back