Law Chicago Mayor Lightfoot refusing to pay speeding & red light tickets as they pile up

From the article itself:

Individual members of the Mayor’s Detail are responsible for payment of tickets incurred while they are driving.

She's not driving then why is this about her? Shouldn't it say that her security team/police drivers refuses to pay speeding tickets?

Additionally, if some of these were while she was on official duty, it should say that Chicago refuses to pay it's own speeding tickets?

I'm too lazy to do the research but can someone breakdown how many of these tickets occurred when she was the one driving?

This post is exactly what i was thinking. If these are city vehicles and she wasnt driving, then these tickets are not her responsibility to pay. Unless someone can show me how she would be responsible for them.

This post is exactly what i was thinking. If these are city vehicles and she wasnt driving, then these tickets are not her responsibility to pay. Unless someone can show me how she would be responsible for them.
I finished reading the article linked in the OP and it says, at the end, that the individual drivers are responsible for the tickets they incur. Plus there's apparently some kind of review process that occurs before the tickets are paid to determine if the violation was part of some other security action.

So this article is just a political hit piece. Someone or several someone's in the Chicago political scene dislike the new lower speeding ticket laws and are using this to target their political rival. They've got a quote from the person running against her for mayor so maybe them. Politics is a dirty game, lol.

From the article itself:

Individual members of the Mayor’s Detail are responsible for payment of tickets incurred while they are driving.
Ordinary citizens get their vehicle booted regardless of who is driving.

Ordinary citizens get their vehicle booted regardless of who is driving.
I'd imagine that booting the vehicles of the Office of the Mayor probably runs through several more steps before enactment. The article points out that tickets and other violations first run through a review process.

Like with all citations incurred by City or other safety and security vehicles by other agencies, they go through an administrative process to review if City vehicles were in use for safety or security reasons and subsequently the Department of Finance will determine whether the party is responsible.

The article provides no information at all on whether or not this process was completed or even attempted.

Well, Pan and his incredible ability to read the posted article has cut this thread off at the knees.

. Lol that is the current Illinois governor. Jb pritzker. He still currently is being investigated for that.

Illinois Governers have a long history of being prosecuted and going to prison

I worked for a local govt. you’re responsible for your own tickets. Unless it’s a funeral or a parade. Also if she was ordering them to speed or to ignore lights, there could be an angle there as well

This bisch looks like Roger from American dad!

wpid-facespace_portrait_ad_roger_default4x_wm-jpg1.jpeg

337d3d9a-0a1b-475b-a339-7e29624065d9.jpg

I finished reading the article linked in the OP and it says, at the end, that the individual drivers are responsible for the tickets they incur. Plus there's apparently some kind of review process that occurs before the tickets are paid to determine if the violation was part of some other security action.

So this article is just a political hit piece. Someone or several someone's in the Chicago political scene dislike the new lower speeding ticket laws and are using this to target their political rival. They've got a quote from the person running against her for mayor so maybe them. Politics is a dirty game, lol.
Yeah I was wondering the same thing, why should she pay if she's not the one driving and the tickets are essentially issued to the city and not her personally.

In all honesty though this policy of just ticketing drivers for going slightly above the speed limit is a silly policy if you actually care about safety. People aren't rational creatures, if there's nothing in the built environment making them go slower they won't go slower and will simply deal with whatever consequences that incurs.

If you want to make the streets safer for pedestrians you have to design roads so that they slow down cars.. You can do that by narrowing roads and adding continuous sidewalks so that all pedestrian crossings become de facto speed bumps. You can also pave certain parts of the street that have lots of foot traffic with cobblestone which makes for a noisier, bumpier ride which encourages drivers to slow down.

So if the tickets are supposed to be given to the respective drivers, why aren't they paying? They wouldn't be personally registered to drive the vehicles being ticketed, so it would be up to Lightfoot and/or her office to match the tickets up with whoever was driving that day. Why isn't that being done?

Speeding cameras are supposed to be an alternative to utilizing police manpower at speed checks. This is something the police reform crowd wanted, but now she has a problem with them?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing, why should she pay if she's not the one driving and the tickets are essentially issued to the city and not her personally.

In all honesty though this policy of just ticketing drivers for going slightly above the speed limit is a silly policy if you actually care about safety. People aren't rational creatures, if there's nothing in the built environment making them go slower they won't go slower and will simply deal with whatever consequences that incurs.

If you want to make the streets safer for pedestrians you have to design roads so that they slow down cars.. You can do that by narrowing roads and adding continuous sidewalks so that all pedestrian crossings become de facto speed bumps. You can also pave certain parts of the street that have lots of foot traffic with cobblestone which makes for a noisier, bumpier ride which encourages drivers to slow down.
You have to do both. Speeding tickets only have a deterrent effect after some has gotten their first one then they're less likely to speed in the future. You do the road redesign to reduce the number of speeders and then tickets to deter those who speed anyway from repeating the offense.

But, generally speaking, I don't really support speed limits outside of urban centers.

So if the tickets are supposed to be given to the respective drivers, why aren't they paying? They wouldn't be personally registered to drive the vehicles being ticketed, so it would be up to Lightfoot and/or her office to match the tickets up with whoever was driving that day. Why isn't that being done?

Speeding cameras are supposed to be an alternative to utilizing police manpower at speed checks. This is something the police reform crowd wanted, but now she has a problem with them?
No, she doesn't have a problem with speeding cameras. She pushed for them. Others oppose them because they say that she set the speed limit too low. (all of this is in the article)

As for the drivers, there's a review process that the tickets go through. The article is silent on whether or not that process has been completed. The prior mayor paid the tickets out of his own pocket and then got teh drivers to reimburse him. Lightfoot might be making the drivers pay directly and they are moving slowly, assuming the review process is complete.

People can dislike the mayor but it's a stretch to try and lay the failure of the drivers to pay their tickets on her without some kind of information that she's forcing them to speed. That's why I call this a political hit piece. It's a local story, on a local new site, criticizing the local mayor with quotes from that mayor's political challenger. All part of the election game. Her team is probably planting similar stories in local news for the same reason.

It's kind of absurd for anyone outside of Chicago to even be aware of this, let alone judging it from distance.

You need to wait until you owe 5k+ and then get involved with a class action lawsuit. It's the only way to handle this if you drive in Chicago often.

I believe the point of the article is that it's that tickets against her squad are going unpaid, while she rallies to hammer ordinary citizens for speeding. She's preaching about safety on the roads, and trying to make laws and methods even more restrictive to curb speeding, while her and her team skirt the rules and responsibility for breaking them.

It's more about not practicing what she preaches, and giving her team a pass for doing the very thing she's pretending to care about.

If only we all could be so privileged.

She’s a national embarrassment just add it to the list of unscrupulous shit she has a HL reel at this point.

I believe the point of the article is that it's that tickets against her squad are going unpaid, while she rallies to hammer ordinary citizens for speeding. She's preaching about safety on the roads, and trying to make laws and methods even more restrictive to curb speeding, while her and her team skirt the rules and responsibility for breaking them.

It's more about not practicing what she preaches, and giving her team a pass for doing the very thing she's pretending to care about.
It's sad that this has to be explained.

You have to do both. Speeding tickets only have a deterrent effect after some has gotten their first one then they're less likely to speed in the future. You do the road redesign to reduce the number of speeders and then tickets to deter those who speed anyway from repeating the offense.
Enforcement is important but its also reactive, street design is preventative. That said redesigning the streets in that way would be a lot more costly.
But, generally speaking, I don't really support speed limits outside of urban centers.
Why? You think people should just drive according to the flow of traffic?

Back