Check out my first fight

First off, I don't box so take it with as many grains of salt as you like...

You cut the ring off well and were backing him up most of the time.

One thing I noticed is you seemed to throw a lot of one punch rights from too far out. I don't know if that was intentional. Nice job though.

Congrats first off, next your technique and conditioning was better then the other guys. Watch things like droping your hands when punching. Punch out and straight back, some of your shoots where droping after you threw them. Other then that it looked good and like I said congrats.

I'm only a novice but I was really impressed by how you kept your composure. Alot of guys forget about technique their first fight. Congratulations on the win.

you definitely out-worked him, but there were a few times when you could've capitalised a little more but it looked like you were too gassed too! Also I was hoping everytime he did his drunken chin to the sky hooking charge that you might just bob left and pop your straight right right in his guts, everytime he did his stand straight and body hook, body hook standing right infront of you, you shoulda popped him with your right hand instead of shelling and backing up, of course easier said than done, good job!

You won that fight? No offense, but looks like you lost the last 2.

Congrats on getting in the ring but...

Your shoulders/head are stiff as hell, need to relax a bit.

Then you need to learn how to throw in a straight line, especially with the right where you seem to hit with the bottom of your hand or something.

Then you need better footwork. You do 3 jumps back everytime he attacks and walk in to his punches every time you go on the offensive. Practice that when you use the heavy bag - step and drag, side movements etc...

Lastly you chin is up in the air.

Other than that again congrats on getting in the ring, you`ve already accomplished more than 99.9% of the people out there.

You gotta put your head down when you jab.

What weight and height are you? That guy looked a weight class above you

you throw your right at a strange downward angle.
nice sharp clean punches are what you need, throw them with intention, commit to every strike, not saying every shot must be a ko shot but if you throw it commit to connecting and dont hesitate.
work on your footwork and angles.
dont drop your hands after you punch, you know yourself the hand must return to your chin, im sure your teachers told you.
anyway, you won, you did well and first fights are more a battle against your mind and nerves then the man in front off you.
you will get it all in time.

You sure like coming forward - you came forward into a few shots lol.
And what was with the floor of the ring, looked wierd somehow?

Last edited:
I did not win this fight so who are you guys talking about?
We fought at 178 I'm 5'11 172
I do have a habit of throwing wild shovel hooks but I only had 4 months of exp.
I tried to work only jabs and rights.
I gassed like a MF
I did not land as much as I thought
thank you

Last edited:
lol I thought you won.
Anyhow congrats on getting in and having a go.
It was good to watch a guy who isn't afraid to come forward.

I did not win this fight so who are you guys talking about?
We fought at 178 I'm 5'11 172
I do have a habit of throwing wild shovel hooks but I only had 4 months of exp.
I tried to work only jabs and rights.
I gassed like a MF
I did not land as much as I thought
thank you
With time it you'll get better, like you said it was your first fight. With all things the more you do them the better you get.

Good first fight!

You were a little bit too eager to close the distance and walked into his punches. So more jabbing and pressuring from distance and when you see an opening then go for it. There were some good 1-1-2 combinations that worked well. You lose a lot of power from you right hand, as someone mentioned, it comes from a wierd angle. It looks like a combination of an overhand right and a right cross. When you throw the right your palm should turn downwards just before it hits the target and the fist should move in a straight line to the target and back. This way you will get more snap in your punches and improve your technique.

Few points:
  • You seemed to have trouble in the close exchanges, use your footwork to circle out. Or learn to more effectively use your uppercuts and hooks.
  • Condition.
  • When the guy pressured you, instead of moving straight back, circle out.
  • Condition.
  • When throwing your body shots (and a few of your head shots) make sure your hands come straight back to your face, you dropped and reset your hand position at a few points in the fight.
  • Condition.
  • You seemed to play around with the Philly Shell a little early on in the fight, even though you used a traditional "earmuff" style of defending the majority of the time. Just remember that when using the Philly Shell you need to rely more on footwork and head movement then you would when using the "earmuff" style (also remember to roll that front shoulder forward when defending with the Philly!!!!)
  • Condition.
  • Also don't drop your hands to defend body shots, your opponent exploited that a couple of times.
  • And condition some more.

that was pretty fun to watch!

Lol i love a good slug fest like that, makes me want to start boxing again.

One thing i can suggest is to not bounce around so much, bouncing around like that wastes energy AND it makes it hard to throw sharp punches because your always off balance.

Look how balanced and calm Floyd was in his pro debut, he doesn't bounce around or let his hands flail around, he's calm calculated and measured in everything he does, and after he throws a punch he doesn't let it drop to his waist, he always brings it right back to his face.

Back