Cheaper or more effective supplements

HannaMan

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello again Sherdoggers!

I did a ton of research on the ketogenic diet and have decided to start that today in full force. I also decided to research all of the D&S recommended supplements + some of the member posts under those threads. I narrowed down my search to the following list below and would like to ask if there are cheaper or more effective supplements then these.

Animal Pak
Animal Cuts thermogenic
Kirkland Fish oil
Kirkland Vitamin D3 2000 I.U.
Creapure Creatine Monohydrate
Ephedrine HCL 8mg/tablets
Apple Cider Vinegar
Beta Alanine Capsules
L-Carnitine Capsules
100% Pure whey protein isolate 25-50g is fine (after work outs)
100% Casein protein (before bed)

Some of the above supps do not have brands yet..I know I would like to start taking these but could not find top three in terms of cost and effectiveness in my searches.

Your help and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

P.S. Some of the more intense supps I will not be starting right away..need to adjust to the ketogenic diet first and lose about 20-30lbs before I am ready to start a begginer lifting program like the Bill Star 5x5.

Thank you :icon_twis

For starters, I think you should just stick with a multivitamin, vitamin D, whey, and fish oil. For now, anyway.

Nothing necessarily anything wrong with animal pak, but I think you can get the job done cheaper and with fewer pills. I haven't done a close side-by-side examination, but I'm guessing it's expensive and overkill. GNC has decent multis which I have used, they're a good deal if you can take advantage of big sales. I'm using a NOW EcoGreen multi now.

Kirkland makes good fish oil at a good price. I'd feel good about taking their Vitamin D, too, though I haven't read anything specific about (I'm assuming these are standard 2000 I.U. gel caps?).

Whey is mostly a matter of personal preference. For me, ON Gold Standard is a solid compromise between price, protein content, digestibility, taste, "mixability," availability (TrueProtein takes over twice as long to deliver to me here), etc. But there are cheaper powders that are absolutely fine (unless you're lactose intolerant or something). And, of course, you can spend more, if you want, but there's really no reason to unless you really like the taste, texture, or have digestive issues with cheaper stuff.

I really want to lose weight bad - I feel so unhealthy and am actually very mad at myself for letting things go for so long. I agree I do not need to go with all of those right yet, I do however wish to become a beast :icon_twis once I feel my body can handle being pushed further. For now my main concern is losing weight healthy and as fast as possible as I am going to Hawaii in March 2011 and do not want to be a slob who cant enjoy the trip because I am fat and lazy etc.

The things I read up on in regards to apple cider vinegar seemed to be golden for weight loss, thermogenic burner seemed good too..what is your opinion on those? I will go with multivitamin/vit d/fish oil. Currently I am using a bottle of Genuine Health Multi + Daily Glow + Daily Trim ( i have some skin blemish issues and thought it might help) I know once I lose weight the bad skin should get better etc.

Oh so day 1.5 of the ketogenic diet and I feel good about my decision..drank a litre of water so far and had 2 large eggs and 2 cups of fried chicken breast and 30 almonds..soon is lunch will probally bust out a can of turkey and have half of a zuccunni. I feel kinda heavy headed or so..hard to explain..is this normal? if so how long before my body/mind adjust to the minimal carbs?

Also would doing a detox be recommended for me after changing from pure junk food etc and now eating cleaner? If so which detox product would be worth investing into?

IN B4 horsemeat

really tho, all these supplements, dont waste your time. eat heathly, vegetables fruit, take a protein supplement.

if you really do eat healthy you dont need to supplement with expensive vitamins and stuff, its all about how honest you are to yourself. im sure its very hard to do,

i dunno obv u have decided to just buy hundreds of pounds worth of random pills, so gl then

IN B4 horsemeat

really tho, all these supplements, dont waste your time. eat heathly, vegetables fruit, take a protein supplement.

if you really do eat healthy you dont need to supplement with expensive vitamins and stuff, its all about how honest you are to yourself. im sure its very hard to do,

i dunno obv u have decided to just buy hundreds of pounds worth of random pills, so gl then

Actually no I haven't decided to buy hundreds of pills - thanks though.

I am not stupid and understand there is no substitute for hard work and proper nutrition. However with that being said I also understand these forums have professional athletes who enchance their results..weither it be weight loss, cutting, bulking, endurance..or w.e their goals are. I read the FAQ's and they are recommending a bunch of different supplements to go along with hard work/nutrition. I am prepared to do everything now like I said previously. I am looking for real advice from people that might of posted those things in the FAQ..like fuck I spent 2-3 days reading shit and researching on what things I felt would assist me based on my goals and I get a response like yours. I am eating right as of yesterday/today..I will implement a workout routine next (within the next few days) and am just looking for supplement help to make this drastic change from fat to fit more manageable.

Peace

Getting your protein from trueprotein will save you money as you are getting it from the "source" as opposed to getting it through a middleman. There are cheaper alternatives to animal pak. It works well but I think that you could get away with a target or kirkland brand multi. I would also invest in some sort of fiber supplement. The beta alanine and the l carnitine may or may not be necessary depending on how much you want to spend

Hello again Sherdoggers!

I did a ton of research on the ketogenic diet and have decided to start that today in full force. I also decided to research all of the D&S recommended supplements + some of the member posts under those threads. I narrowed down my search to the following list below and would like to ask if there are cheaper or more effective supplements then these.

Animal Pak
Animal Cuts thermogenic
Kirkland Fish oil
Kirkland Vitamin D3 2000 I.U.
Creapure Creatine Monohydrate
Ephedrine HCL 8mg/tablets
Apple Cider Vinegar
Beta Alanine Capsules
L-Carnitine Capsules
100% Pure whey protein isolate 25-50g is fine (after work outs)
100% Casein protein (before bed)

Good luck with your goal of losing some weight bud. Ive lost 65lbs since Feburary and still going!

You will probably not find cheaper fish oil regularly priced cheaper than Kirkland in Canada.

I buy Fish Oil at Target for WAY cheaper when I pop across the border, but Kirkland is about as cheap as you are going to get for decent quality unless you find a sale somewhere.

I used to buy Ephe from GNC (They sell it in Canada) foras cheap as anywhere else. My understanding is you really should be using it with Caffine, or it wont me much use however. It worked for me for a while, but I didnt see enough difference to warrent continuing.

Good luck with your goal of losing some weight bud. Ive lost 65lbs since Feburary and still going!

You will probably not find cheaper fish oil regularly priced cheaper than Kirkland in Canada.

I buy Fish Oil at Target for WAY cheaper when I pop across the border, but Kirkland is about as cheap as you are going to get for decent quality unless you find a sale somewhere.

I used to buy Ephe from GNC (They sell it in Canada) foras cheap as anywhere else. My understanding is you really should be using it with Caffine, or it wont me much use however. It worked for me for a while, but I didnt see enough difference to warrent continuing.

Wow good job dude with 65lb weight loss - I am aiming for 40-60lb loss by mid march. What was your starting weight? what is your goal weight? I was wondering if you could share some things that you feel helped you in your weight loss.

For supplements, I like vitamin D3, fish oil, and magnesium. And for diet, low carb has worked well for me.

A good sight for low carb and general information - thought Dr Eades posted an interesting article on magnesium significantly lowering diabetes risk today.

Michael Eades, M.D. (DrEades) on Twitter

Vitamin D3 is a pro-hormone. So taking just 2000ius a day probably will not be enough. Thought this article explained well how to figure out the correct dosage for the sunshine vitamin.

The Heart Scan Blog: Getting vitamin D right

For supplements, I like vitamin D3, fish oil, and magnesium. And for diet, low carb has worked well for me.

A good sight for low carb and general information - thought Dr Eades posted an interesting article on magnesium significantly lowering diabetes risk today.

Michael Eades, M.D. (DrEades) on Twitter

Vitamin D3 is a pro-hormone. So taking just 2000ius a day probably will not be enough. Thought this article explained well how to figure out the correct dosage for the sunshine vitamin.

The Heart Scan Blog: Getting vitamin D right

Thank you for your reply - good reads..so I was planning on taking 2000iu of vit d and now after reading that article I will be taking more like 8000-10000 as I am about 220 so they say 1000iu per 25 lbs.

Thank you for your reply - good reads..so I was planning on taking 2000iu of vit d and now after reading that article I will be taking more like 8000-10000 as I am about 220 so they say 1000iu per 25 lbs.

If you are going to take those large doses I would get tested some what regularly. You aren't going to get too much vit D from 2000 IU, but you might get levels higher than optimal if you are taking 8,000-10,000 a day. If you read around the internet on how much vit d to take, you will find that most of them recommend between 1,000-2,000 a day. 8-10 is a LOT.

True Protein has sweet deals on fish oil, IMO. 1000 caps for like 20 bucks.

Wow good job dude with 65lb weight loss - I am aiming for 40-60lb loss by mid march. What was your starting weight? what is your goal weight? I was wondering if you could share some things that you feel helped you in your weight loss.

Started at 317, was 253 on Friday morning (ok so technically Ive lost 64 :) ). Goal is 220, but Ill take 3more off just to say I lost 10o :)

Couple keys for me.

Eat Breakfast every fucking day. I used to NEVER eat Breakfast. Just used to have 2 big meals at lunch and late evening. Bad Idea.

I don't drink my calories (Protein shake not withstanding). Black coffee, no sugar soda at all. Rare diet coke. I have a huge "fizzy" craving, so I drink a fair bit of soda water sometimes with a little lemon or lime juice.

I eat alot more veg than I used to. I am lucky, I can handle pretty much all veg (cept eggplant/turnip), just a matter of making the decision to start eating more of it. Fills you up pretty well.

I realize that not everyone can do it, but I cut alcohol almost completely out. I have a very rare beer now and then in a social setting, but thats it.

I exercise every day. Might not be a 3 hour workout, but walk a few kms, run a few stairs or something to get things moving every day.

I work out 3 times a week ( M W F). 20mins warm up cardio (usually eliptical), 45-60mins of 8-12 rep/4 set weights. Weight is as heavy a i can manage and still do 8-2 reps. 15 reps means weight is too low, 6 is too heavy. 10min cardio cool down

2x a week (T Th) 45-60min cardio. I do a HIIT Ladder sorta thing. Start at lvl6 for 1min, lvl7 2min (70%), lvl8 2min (80-90%), alternate up to lvl11 or 12, 70%/80-90%/70% etc for 45-60mins.

I still cheat on the eating front everyone once in a while. If I need some pizza and cant stop thinking about it, I will grab some, or some dumplings, or noodles or whatever. I just dont let it fuck up the rest of my day or week. If I had a cheat "day" it could easily spiral out of control.

Might not work for everyone, and its surely not a perfect routine, but it has worked for me, and I will continue with it until it stops working :)

Thank you for sharing onezendad! That is amazing results..good efffing job :) I plan on doing 3 days a week like you M W F of 5x5 program by Bill Star (you can find that in S&C section) and will try to boost my daily activity..i.e. walking more etc..depending how I feel after my weight days I will do eliptical or treadmill Tuesday/Thursday.

Back