Cheap Boxing gloves?

Hammer_Fist

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anybody know where I can get some boxing gloves for cheap? What are good brands, and what are shitty brands to avoid? I'm going to buy a pair of bag gloves and sparing gloves and I don't want to spend 150 dollars or more. Any suggestions?

I've seen everlast ones that come in a set with jump rope and hand wraps for about 50-60$, i think they were 16oz.

Dont skimp on your equipment always get the best. For training gloves go with the IMF from Ringside they have the best padding in the knuckles and are resilent. For Sparring i would go with Pro-Mex from Title they are rugged, well made, extremely comfortable gloves.
I have used all kinds of gloves, wraps, bag gloves headgear ect and one thing i have learned is never ever skimp on your gear. The IMF are like 75 bucks but they are the best gloves out there if you are going to be training hard and throwing alot of punches they have 2.5 inches of padding in the area around the knuckles and you can tell the difference in their design as soon as you put them on and hit the Heavy bag.
The pro mex are good fro sparring because they feel exactly liek a pro glove they fit tightly and have a nice design. IMO they are much better than Reyes or Everlast in value and construction plus they have a lifetime guaranteee on satisfaction so if you dont like them send them back and you get your money back.

The IMF are like 75 bucks but they are the best gloves out there if you are going to be training hard and throwing alot of punches they have 2.5 inches of padding in the area around the knuckles and you can tell the difference in their design as soon as you put them on and hit the Heavy bag
Boomstick, this is good to know, thanks. I was checking these out in my Ringside catalog yesterday and wasn't sure what to make of them. They're so graphic-heavy (with the Ringside logo AND the IMF logo) that they looked like a gimmick glove. I'm glad to hear that they're solid gear. I'll include them in my next gear update. $75 is nothing for good hand protection.

CHawkins said:
Boomstick, this is good to know, thanks. I was checking these out in my Ringside catalog yesterday and wasn't sure what to make of them. They're so graphic-heavy (with the Ringside logo AND the IMF logo) that they looked like a gimmick glove. I'm glad to hear that they're solid gear. I'll include them in my next gear update. $75 is nothing for good hand protection.
These are by far and away the very best hand protection you can get. If you look them up they atually have a diagram of the inside of the padding it is like 3 layers of material. I really like them because they dont get hard or compacted after alot of use like Reyes and Everlast do. also they seem to absorb the moisture well and air out easier than most gloves.

Just to echo what boomstick said, equipment - and especially gloves - is one thing you don't want to skimp on. You really do get what you pay for when it comes to gloves. If you're planning to train somewhat seriously, invest in quality gloves that will last and won't injure you or your sparring partners. If you buy cheap gloves, you'll just end up buying a new pair in a couple months anyway, so you might as well get something that will last. Cheaper in the long run.

I do like the international hook and loop style gloves at ringside. I've had several pairs of those. I'm currently using something similar from fairtex but the padding in the ringside version seems a bit better.

Also I would not buy shit off of Ebay just spend the money with title or Ringside at least you can be sure you are getting what you paid for.

i agree with people who says don't be cheap with gloves.

Hey, I was looking at those IMF gloves at Ringside.com and they only come in 14 16 and 18 oz. Aren't bag gloves supposed to be 10 or 12? How much does it matter what size glove you use on the bag?

Hammer_Fist said:
Hey, I was looking at those IMF gloves at Ringside.com and they only come in 14 16 and 18 oz. Aren't bag gloves supposed to be 10 or 12? How much does it matter what size glove you use on the bag?
The IMF gloves are marketed as training gloves, not bag gloves, so they're specified in different weights, unlike the bag gloves, which are all 12oz and specified by hand size.

You can hit the bag with them, they're just not CALLED bag gloves.

Hammer_Fist said:
I use 14 oz gloves on the bag. I hate bag gloves i think they are a waste of money and offer very little protection for your hands. I strongly recomend the IMF they are quite simply the very best hand protection out right now. I will not use anything else.

Yea, I went ahead and ordered the IMF gloves for 75 bucks. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but if what you said was right, I should get my money's worth. I should have them Wednesday, and I'll tell you what I think of them. Thanks for the advice.

Moved this to the Gear and Equipment forum. You might get some more feedback from the regular posters in here.

I was going to recommend KO Fight Gear, but I recently compared my 16oz gloves to a pair of Twins 16oz gloves, and I must admit, the Twins pair looked sturdier and better built...more protection for your hands...hmm...I just might check out those IMF Ringside gloves...

...as for bag gloves (the really light ones), yeah they are pretty shitty...but I use 'em because I'm lazy and weak and get arm weary pretty quick when I hit the heavy bag with my 16oz gloves...but then again, the light bag gloves make grabbing the bag for a barrage of knees easier, so you be the judge...

www.ringside.com. I get the magazine almost every month (it's free). When I buy it's usually the specials. The best gloves I have used are Cleto Reyes and Ringside ones.

-Seabass

There's a pair of TKO gloves (I think) at a local GI Joes for 19.99 I think I may get just to have?

Rexholio said:
I do like the international hook and loop style gloves at ringside. I've had several pairs of those. I'm currently using something similar from fairtex but the padding in the ringside version seems a bit better.

Thanks for the advice Rex. I bought the international hook and loop ringside gloves and I really like them. I was surprised by their wrist support for training gloves. Good stuff.

Back