Characteristics needed to beat Jon Jones

ewauksonian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
After watching the fight tonight, I think I have a good handle on what characteristics a fighter needs to beat Jon Jones.

(In no particular order)

1. Negate his reach advantage: Every fighter Jones has fought so far has a significant reach advantage. His striking is extremely dependent on his reach. He is extremely effective at using it, but when it is not a significant advantage in a fight, his striking defense is more vulnerable, and he is unable to use his striking as effectively.

2. Negate his athleticism advantage: A fighter with good movement, as Gus was tonight, or Machida, can severely happen Jon Jones striking. Jones relies a lot on his athleticism for his striking.

3. Negate his Greco-Roman clinch: many Jones takedowns come from the clinch. He's non-clinch wrestling is nowhere near as good as his clinch wrestling is.

4. Have good boxing: A lot fighters before Gus had good boxing, probably better than Jones or Gus, but unlike Gus, they were unable to negate Jones's reach, his athleticism, or both. However, if a fighter with Gus's physical qualities but had better boxing than Gus, that fighter would be very dangerous for Jones.

Why other fighters failed where Gus has succeeded

1. Reach Disadvantage: Because Jones's ability to use his reach, even better boxers than Gus have fallen prey to Jones. Jones ability to use his reach to keep distance and dictate how far is befuddles most his opponents.

2. Poor Movement/Lack of Athleticism/Injuries/Father Time: Shogun lost much of his athleticism. Rampage has slowed over the years.

3. Inability to stop his Greco-Roman: I do not think I have to go much into here.

How will other fighters do against Jones?

Frankly, I do not think Glover Teixeira can beat Jones. Glover probably will give Gus a run for his money, but Glover, unfortunately, does not match up well against Jones. Glover is a good boxer, but I am not sure if he can stop Jones

I don't even think its that much to be honest . I think it's just a hungry fighter who isn't afraid of the hype and will stay in his face and not back down....,and has good TDD.

Well you obviously need to be rocking a beard just to stand a chance.

I thought:
1 Jones gassed early tonight.
2 Needs to work on his boxing
3 still has a lot to learn

Props to Gus I want to see a rematch soon.

Tools to beating Alexander Gustafsson:

- Having a freestyle wrestling game, not a Greco-based one.

Be his size / not a MW
And you need to be resilient to eye pokes

no, gus is just some kind of fukn viking that was willing to die in that ring tonight. I cant believe he survived that 4th round and that spinning elbow. man all i gotta say is gus fan base just tripled after tn. god damn I just realized as soon as you think someone is unbeatable, you are probably wrong.

Need to have reach.. Need to have stand up.. Need to have TD defense.

Back