Changing schools

If you move, don't do it because it's 'less traditional'. If you want no tradition, go to a fight club. Not a martial arts academy.

A few bows and standing in line won't kill you. Respect is a good thing.

But take a few classes at the other place and decide where you're going to learn more. I would recommend you changing, because they're obviously offering you more.

"There is another club closer to my house that seems to be flourishing. They offer more mat time, 3x longer classes, more variety ex. no-gi, gi, beginners, advanced, more people to roll with, All for the same price."

It seems that the best bet is to change taking into account that it might be hard since there is a feeling of loyalty that is developed in addition to the friendship. Bottom line to me is that you get more training for your money. On the other hand, do less students at your current school translate to more one on one instruction from your current instructor? Do you feel that you are learning more or less? If you feel that you are losing the training value at your current school, then it is time to move.

if you want bjj and you can learn from anyone names "gracie" go there :D

So you're thinking of leaving Eduardo de Lima?

Good points brought up so far. A little tradition doesn't hurt, especially if the training at your original school has been otherwise good for you so far. But, if a lot of people (especially higher ranks) have left, that could make your training there less effective than it may have been in the past.

Definitely check out the new school at least for a few weeks to make sure the instructors, teaching style, caliber of fellow students, etc. are going to make the move worthwhile for your training. It's closer, same price, more laid-back, etc. as you say...sounds like a better place. BUT...it's all about whether you feel like you're LEARNING BETTER there.

I would downplay the loyalty thing. Don't get me wrong. It's honorable of you to try to remain loyal to your original school and instructor. But, things change and students' life circumstances change. So I wouldn't feel too bad about it. In this situation, a little white socially forgivable lie ("I just don't have the time to go to the farther school," or, "The new school's schedule is better for my work/school schedule,") would be appropriate so as not to burn any bridges with your old instructor/buddy.

In short, make sure the new place is all that you think it is FOR YOUR TRAINING. If so, switch. (But if you still can't decide, stick with the old school, and if it's as bad as you describe it, you'll get fed up enough sometime soon, and THEN you'll switch.)

Commissar said:
If you move, don't do it because it's 'less traditional'. If you want no tradition, go to a fight club. Not a martial arts academy.

A few bows and standing in line won't kill you. Respect is a good thing.

But take a few classes at the other place and decide where you're going to learn more. I would recommend you changing, because they're obviously offering you more.
Forcing respect in the end.. is not respect. Me telling you to shake my hand after every class doesn't build respect, I personally wouldn't care but I definently know what he means. Forcing someone to show me "respect" will just make people lose respect for you. But anyways it depends on how the atmosphere changes when you do this. When people get to know you, and you change your attitude, they seem to question what's going on. I think Gsoares should think about it some more before moving. See how it turns out in the end.

BTW if this school was close, why didn't you join it before?

Decided im not going any where. It would be pussy of me to back out because things got a little rough there. Im sticking where i started because that is what i said i would do at the beginning...

I talked with some of the guys at the club, and even though im not a big asset to the club or anything in the end im sure it will pay off to stay where im at. I like the people there, i have a good time and thats what it is all about.

You guys are def right about the traditions. I think i was more trying to use it as a crutch or a reason for my doubtful attitude instead of just blaming it on my self. Its not hurting me or anyone else to change, its just different.

I didnt join the school that was closer in the beginning because i didnt know about it... had no idea...

But like i said, after thinking it over im def going to stay. It was a weak moment of doubt i probably shouldn

Gsoares2 said:
Decided im not going any where. It would be pussy of me to back out because things got a little rough there. Im sticking where i started because that is what i said i would do at the beginning...

I talked with some of the guys at the club, and even though im not a big asset to the club or anything in the end im sure it will pay off to stay where im at. I like the people there, i have a good time and thats what it is all about.

You guys are def right about the traditions. I think i was more trying to use it as a crutch or a reason for my doubtful attitude instead of just blaming it on my self. Its not hurting me or anyone else to change, its just different.

I didnt join the school that was closer in the beginning because i didnt know about it... had no idea...

But like i said, after thinking it over im def going to stay. It was a weak moment of doubt i probably shouldn

Im still going over there to train a couple times after this month but i wont be joining.

Still its nice have some different partners to roll with, and a new game to see... If i like it by leaps and bounds over then i will change... But after talking with the teach and some other people im set on staying.

They offer a free week, and anything free is for me.. and atleast worth a shot.

Back