Changing gym?

boogieman4215

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey f12, just wanted some input.

My gym cancelled the afternoon classes and now only have night classes. So the bjj instructors only teach at night classes. I been going to this gym for about 4.5 years. I got my blue belt at this gym. I been lucky that a buddy has been opening the gym for us at the afternoon, and he can come most days, but there has been times that he or everybody is busy. This has been going on for 4 months.

Due to my job changing I won't be able to train at night. Night time classes is where all the upper belts train. I'm left to basically train myself through books and videos and drilling. In terms of training partners during the afternoon I am the biggest guy and most of the time the most experienced guy. (The buddy opens the gym is more experienced, but sometimes he is busy, so he opens the gym and leaves to do errands. )There are like 5 or 6 that train in the afternoon, but the most we had was 4 people. Basically it's an open mat.

Why I am still there is because of loyalty. But I feel to progress I need to find other training partners, and to get some coaching. There are the rare times a purple belt will come, but that's far in between.

The only dilemma I face is that the only other gym in town offers bjj two times a week during the afternoon, and whereas the current gym I'm at I can potentially get four open mats a week. I don't have the funds to join two gyms. Just wondering what you guys thought and do in my shoes.

And I do plan to compete as well, havnt done it at blue belt level. Been blue for 1.5 years.

To add, the main coach is a black belt, but he only teaches at night.

If I were you...join the school that will allow you to get actual instruction.

I'd also try to pitch an idea to your current school's staff that you really love the people there and do feel very loyal to the place. You just don't have the funds to pursue actual instruction while still also going there. See if you could do chores around the gym / clean mats / etc. in order to still be able to go to a few of their open mats during the week in lieu of payment. Offer to even help instruct the lower belts during the open mats.

Worth a try. Then you could have the two days of instruction + several open mat days to apply what you're learning, if it works out.

I'd also try to pitch an idea to your current school's staff that you really love the people there and do feel very loyal to the place. You just don't have the funds to pursue actual instruction while still also going there. See if you could do chores around the gym / clean mats / etc. in order to still be able to go to a few of their open mats during the week in lieu of payment. Offer to even help instruct the lower belts during the open mats.

Worth a try. Then you could have the two days of instruction + several open mat days to apply what you're learning, if it works out.

It's not that I can't offered to pay for the gym, it's just my gym only have open mat during the day time and I don't get any instruction. I don't have the funds to pay for another gym that has day time classes. My dilemma is two classes a week vs four days of open mat where I kinda train myself.

talk to the main instructor.. if you are one of the higher belts. he might allow you to get a key to open up yourself and teach the lower belts or allow other people that probably have the same scheduling problems as you do...

my old gym had an email chain so someone that wanted to train would send out an email asking if someone could open up.. or if i was free i would say so and allow someone to respond that wanted to get some instructions on moves and positioning.. other than that... If you have any other aspects of the game covered you can try wokring out something teaching somethign that you are good at...

I was paying monthly at my first gym then i started teaching the wrestling aspect to the sport and he didnt charge me anymore monthly. I kinda got the same thing going on with the new gym im going to.

Loyalty is cool. I feel you. ive been in the same spot but i didnt leave until other disagreements happened with our main black belt instructor.. my main local instructor (gym owner *brown belt*) didnt really do anything bad. Just politics.

Its hard to make a desicion on moving but as i was told by multiple black belts from different gyms. Go where you feel wanted/needed and where you feel you can excel.

Good luck hope everything works out for you bro.

The two classes will be far more beneficial than four open mats with lower belts and no variety. If you're concern is that you'd be only training twice, you could pick up another physical hobby like lifting, running, etc on the other two days. Jiujitsu isn't the only awesomely sweet hobby out there

Only so much you can do here. Your schedule changed, which isn't their fault. However, they also changed their class schedule, which is definitely on them. Personally, I'd bring this up to the instructors that you're no longer getting any actual instruction, and the afternoon mat time is no longer as productive as it used to be.

It's a basic schedule conflict. Ask if there is anything they can do, because you want to stick with your original gym. OTOH, if there's nothing they can do, it's reasonable to take your business someplace that actually has classes that you can attend.

Who knows, maybe they can change the schedule back, or maybe they can let you do the afternoon mat times at a greatly reduced rate that makes going to both gyms affordable. You don't know unless you ask.

The two classes will be far more beneficial than four open mats with lower belts and no variety. If you're concern is that you'd be only training twice, you could pick up another physical hobby like lifting, running, etc on the other two days. Jiujitsu isn't the only awesomely sweet hobby out there

FALSE!!!!!

:icon_chee

Yeah, this post is true. Don't teach yourself with beginners. It is better to have quality instruction twice a week, than trying to lead yourself 4 days a way. Get into the new situation and you'll likely meet some people that you can meet during off hours and go through what you've been taught in class.

It's not that I can't offered to pay for the gym, it's just my gym only have open mat during the day time and I don't get any instruction. I don't have the funds to pay for another gym that has day time classes. My dilemma is two classes a week vs four days of open mat where I kinda train myself.
The grass always seems to be greener on the other side. Have you taken the day time classes to see if they suits you? Proper teaching and good rolling partner.

I reread your post, and my mistake, I was the one who reread your post. I see where you are coming from, but I don't know how the instructors from each respective gym would like that. Training at two gyms at the same time might cause some conflict when I compete.

The grass always seems to be greener on the other side. Have you taken the day time classes to see if they suits you? Proper teaching and good rolling partner.

I am going to try the other gym in the new year, right now since its near Christmas people arn't training as much (that baffles me, but oh well. I am still training) There are other gyms out there in diffrent cities that have daytime classes, but its only 2x a week. What's up with that?! LOL.

Thanks for the advice everybody, and I'll keep you updated on what happens.

definitely talk to your main instructor first before you leave. Don't just leave without discussing the situation first.

I reread your post, and my mistake, I was the one who reread your post. I see where you are coming from, but I don't know how the instructors from each respective gym would like that. Training at two gyms at the same time might cause some conflict when I compete.

If you wanted to try that route, just run it by your current instructor first, and if he was cool with it feel free to run it by the other gym's instructor...explaining that you'd basically just be attending a few open mats at your previous school. If they are both cool, then great, that'd be the way to receive maximum efficiency for your training. Competition, you'd pretty much just have to go under your own flag and represent yourself, but I am sure some friends would still go in your corner.

If you choose one of the other options though, go with the two lessons per week instead of the open mats...at your current gym you are training under a glass ceiling.

Best of luck, I hope your path becomes clear.

Emphasis on what BJJ Coffee Drinker has said.

Thanks everybody for their input.

Just to give you an update, there is a gym that I found that has classes on Saturday mornings, so I'll be going there to get my coaching, and just go to the open mats during the day at my current club. Another blue belt will be joining me during the daytime so we can drill, roll, etc. The gym that has classes on Saturday morning have a cheap drop in rate and come from the same lineage, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll talk to both instructors and see what they have to say.

Thoughts?

That's definitely a decent short term solution. But if you ever plan on progressing, you'll need to train with a lead instructor more than once a week, especially for someone who wants to train as much as you.

And only having the handfull of training partners, with no one significantly better than you could cause you to hit a wall fairly quickly. One reason I love my gym is that the afternoon classes are comprised almost completely of blue's and occasionally a purple or two, which combined with a blackbelt instructor, is a huge help to me as a white belt.

That's definitely a decent short term solution. But if you ever plan on progressing, you'll need to train with a lead instructor more than once a week, especially for someone who wants to train as much as you.

And only having the handfull of training partners, with no one significantly better than you could cause you to hit a wall fairly quickly. One reason I love my gym is that the afternoon classes are comprised almost completely of blue's and occasionally a purple or two, which combined with a blackbelt instructor, is a huge help to me as a white belt.

True enough, I guess quality over quantity. Joining the school that offers two day time classes will have people that are higher level, so for sure that will help me out. I'm going to try the school in the new year and keep this updated, so other people who might think of switching bjj gyms for whatever reason can read this.

So an update about my situation, I tried out the other gym and turns out one day class is all open mat, but I'm rolling with other blues, purple and brown belts, which is awesome. The other day class has techinque then sparring after, then sometimes they have a third day with positional sparring.

So basically one day with instruction, but rolling with upper belts I feel I can learn alot. Currently at my gym it's open mat but sometimes I am the highest or second highest with one or two white belts.

So I'm guessing most people on the f12 say make the switch? It's tough leaving my friends at the current gym, but I'm guessing to improve oneself I gotta do what I gotta do.

Back