Economy Change the Tax Code: Claim Cash Depreciation

Rob Battisti

HR for HR
@Steel
Reaction score
Should the U.S. Dollar Be Considered a Depreciating Asset on Your Taxes?

The U.S. dollar, like all fiat currencies, is subject to inflation and debasement over time. But unlike other depreciating assets, cash holdings don't currently qualify for tax deductions. Should they? Let’s explore why they should be, and how this could bring more fairness to our tax system.

The Case for Depreciation of Cash Holdings

**Inflation Erodes Value**
Inflation is a well-known economic phenomenon where the purchasing power of money decreases over time. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average annual inflation rate in the U.S. has been around 2-3% over the past few decades. This means that $10,000 today won't buy as much in ten years. Unlike other assets, such as real estate or machinery, whose depreciation can be claimed on taxes, cash just quietly loses its value without any tax relief.

Debasement and Historical Context

Currency debasement, historically, refers to reducing the value of currency, often by increasing the money supply. This can lead to inflation. For example, during the 1970s, the U.S. experienced high inflation rates, peaking at around 13.5% in 1980. This significantly impacted the real value of cash holdings. Yet, there was no tax adjustment for this loss of value.

Fairness and Consistency in Tax Policy

Equitable Treatment of Assets

Other assets, like real estate, stocks, and even physical equipment, are subject to tax rules that recognize their depreciation or capital gains. These rules ensure that taxpayers are taxed on real, not nominal, income. Cash holders, often more conservative investors or those saving for emergencies, are unfairly disadvantaged under the current system.

Modernizing the Tax Code

The tax code has evolved over time to address changing economic realities. For instance, the introduction of inflation-indexed tax brackets in the 1980s helped to prevent "bracket creep," where inflation pushed taxpayers into higher brackets without an actual increase in real income. Extending similar logic to cash holdings would be a natural progression.

Practical Implementation

Using Established Measures

Implementing this change could be straightforward. The Consumer Price Index (CPI) is a widely accepted measure of inflation and could be used to determine the depreciation of cash holdings. Taxpayers could then claim a loss equivalent to the inflation rate multiplied by their average cash holdings over the year.

Recognizing the depreciation of the U.S. dollar due to inflation and debasement could bring much-needed fairness to our tax system. It would acknowledge the real economic loss experienced by cash holders and align tax policy with the principles of equitable treatment and economic reality. As we continue to modernize our tax code, considering the depreciation of cash holdings is a logical and justifiable next step.

For me, this would help create more fairness and awareness for the average American when it comes to insane money printing. At least let us claim the loss.

Only thing government will do with Taxes will be to raise them if Dems got Congress only thing GOP will do is tax cut for corporations . Out taxes will remain the same no matter n if they chsnge likely increase of anything.

Interesting concept. Since I get taxed on any interest I make, getting to write off depreciation of those same dollars makes since.

Yes. I think it's A) bad taste and B) dumb to put bot posts here, especially as a thread starter. If you're too lazy to think or do any research yourself, that's fine. No one is forcing anyone to post.
Lmao

Keep your opinions to yourself. It was my idea, my concept and my prompts.

Is the point here supposed to be that only inflation is bad, or that money is bad? I agree that a hypothetical case of endless free money with no inflation would be great, just like I agree that gravity is a bummer because it makes it hard to fly by just flapping my arms.

Does this benefit the government or the people? If it benefits the people and not the government, then it ain't happening.
I agree that democracy is a lie and true freedom can only be obtained from bowing down to the lizard people (or aliens). That is a sensible opinion, one which many people should hold.

The smartest man alive has everyone in this thread covered: you don't have to worry about anything.

Is the point here supposed to be that only inflation is bad, or that money is bad? I agree that a hypothetical case of endless free money with no inflation would be great, just like I agree that gravity is a bummer because it makes it hard to fly by just flapping my arms.
The TS has a weird (wildly inaccurate) belief that zero inflation would make people more invested in the future because they wouldn't have to invest. They could just hoard cash (again, makes no sense, but he says it not me).

But, yeah, it's not possible to have stable currency. When we had a barbaric shiny metal-based system, we didn't have stable values; we had wildly unstable currency in the short term that went both ways and so was relatively more stable over the long run. We've traded that for greatly increased short-term stability but since the change is more consistently in the same direction, it means more long-term instability. That is a vast improvement for regular people (not for currency speculation, though).

The TS has a weird (wildly inaccurate) belief that zero inflation would make people more invested in the future because they wouldn't have to invest. They could just hoard cash (again, makes no sense, but he says it not me).

But, yeah, it's not possible to have stable currency. When we had a barbaric shiny metal-based system, we didn't have stable values; we had wildly unstable currency in the short term that went both ways and so was relatively more stable over the long run. We've traded that for greatly increased short-term stability but since the change is more consistently in the same direction, it means more long-term instability. That is a vast improvement for regular people (not for currency speculation, though).
I often wake up thinking that currency speculation was what Jesus wanted for us all along.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back