Champions need to defend their belt

I would like to see them defend more often. One of the things I respect about Jones.

I would be fine with the Champions only defending once a year, say at the end of the year for an All Chamionship mega-card, as long as during the rest of the year the UFC ran a tournament style format to determine the overall #1 contender.

Oh no, I have no doubt that the UFC and Dana prefer GSP/Diaz over GSP/Hendricks and definitely pushed him to "ask" for it

Then what are you saying you have a problem with?

I would be fine with the Champions only defending once a year, say at the end of the year for an All Chamionship mega-card, as long as during the rest of the year the UFC ran a tournament style format to determine the overall #1 contender.

I heard Spike might be getting some kind of MMA programming like this. Should check it out

Then what are you saying you have a problem with?

I heard Spike might be getting some kind of MMA programming like this. Should check it out

I never said I have a problem with GSP/Diaz as GSP is still defending his title. As long as the champ is defending against someone, I don't have a problem. It's when they don't defend for no reason that pisses me off. If the champ says the person is unworthy of a title shot, then the champ should either prove it by beating them or the champ should fight someone else if they're not willing to fight the other fighter

When Champions have the option to pick and choose their opponents, then MMA is no better than boxing.

Champs need to defend their belt against anybody willing to fight them that the UFC offers, not simply the #1 contender. I'm sick of these champs only defending once or twice a year. Champs shouldn't be allowed to take big vacations or not defend their belt as long as there are fighters willing to fight them. Unless they are injured of course. Then just set up an interim title or strip them if it's going to be a while. If no one wants to fight them, and the UFC isn't offering them any fights, then yeah sure take time off till someone till there's a fight available but it's pretty hypocritical of some of these champs not consistently defending their belts when a lot of them got some weird title shots of their own

FLW: MM was coming off a loss to Cruz and got put into the FLW tourny and then controversially got to the finals after the major screw up of MM/McCall I where the fight had clearly swung in McCall's favour and he got robbed of his chance to win in the 4th round (I had McCall winning in 3 rounds anyways). We all know what happened in the rematch but the rematch should never have happened without the screwups that occurred
BW: Barao stepped in as an injury replacement for Cruz against Faber
WW: GSP was on a 1 fight win streak after losing to Serra when he got an interim title fight
MW: Silva was 1-0 in the UFC when he got a title shot
LHW: Jones stepped in as an injury replacement for Rashad against Shogun
HW: Cain had only had 1 fight since losing to JDS less than a year ago

Now I'm not saying that these champs aren't all not consistently defending their belts, just that these current champs got some weird ass title shots of their own to win the belt, so how could they ever deny a challenger or choose to go on vacation and not defend their belt when they won the belt from weird, beneficial circumstances of their own? If they're willing to take a title shot however they can get it themselves, they should be willing to fight anybody in the division once they are champ otherwise they're being hypocritical. If a fight is available and being offered, they should defend

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/lack-titlefights-2336851/

When you are champion you should have no say who you defend your title against. Baring injuries champions should fight every 4 months 3 times a year. They are millionaires they should treat their job as a full time job not taking 6+ months off between fights.

If you're the best, prove it by turning away every challenger. If you think a challenger is unworthy, prove it by kicking their ass

that was a childish, silly rant that 99 percent of the rest of community will disagree with.

also hypocritical actually has a meaning, you don't just get to try and make it mean whatever you feel like.

that was a childish, silly rant that 99 percent of the rest of community will disagree with.

also hypocritical actually has a meaning, you don't just get to try and make it mean whatever you feel like.

What's the point of having a champ if he's not going to defend the title? And you're wrong on the 99%. It's been about 50/50. Half the people think champs should defend against anybody, the other half think the champ should only fight the #1 contender. It's basically a divide between the people who think the UFC is a sports league and thus there's a certain order that needs to be maintained, and those who think it's an entertainment business and fights will be made to make money.

And it is hypocritical of champions who when they were regular fighters took advantage of a champ willing to fight them even if they didn't necessarily deserve a title shot, but now that they're champ they won't fight just anybody

Champs do defend their belt

OP is a herp derp WWE tard newbie who thinks UFC fighters are like video game characters

There is a thing called "LIFE" thats gets in the way of defending the belt sometimes

Only on Sherdog

Champs do defend their belt

OP is a herp derp WWE tard newbie who thinks UFC fighters are like video game characters

There is a thing called "LIFE" thats gets in the way of defending the belt sometimes

Only on Sherdog

I've been on Sherdog 4 years longer than you have? How would I be a WWE tard newbie? First fight I ever saw was Rampage vs Henderson when they showed it on Spike TV and I happened to be flipping through channels, I was into MMA before the WWE craze of fans that Brock brought over. I don't think there's anything wrong the UFC following some of WWE strategy, the WWE is a far more successful business than the UFC and that's what the UFC is: a business. I like seeing a heel talk shit before his fight, I like seeing a fighter call out another fighter in the octagon after they've just won (unless you're Rory... that was just weird), I like seeing fan friendly fights, and I like seeing the champ defend their belt

What life is this that they need so much time for? They're fighters and employees of the UFC. Their life and job is to fight. All these fighters always say they were born to fight and love fighting, yet you'll see them fight maybe twice a year. I mean, how much time do you really need to enjoy your life when you're looking at doing a max of 50 minutes work a year when you're champ and only defending twice? They do two 8 week camps, that's 4 months of the year training for their fight, 8 months off of the year that they're enjoying their life doing whatever the hell they want. It must be so hard working for less than an hour a year and making millions of dollars, while I'm a full time university student who still puts in at least 30 hours a week working and will never make anywhere near the amount of money they make. I would kill to get punched in the face for the money they make and the time off these guys get. I'm not asking them to do anything other than their job if they're not injured. If they fight 3 times a year that's 6 months of training, 75 minutes work max a year, and 6 months vacation. If they fight 4 times a year that's 8 months of training, 100 minutes work max a year, and they still get 4 months off to do whatever the hell they want. It's a hard life eh? They can still get to see their family's after training all day, they still get months off doing whatever they want, and they still make millions of dollars. It's not my fault they choose to be a fighter for a living

Back