Chamber vs straight leg roundhouse kick?

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I looked at some mma fights and i saw that the majority of the ufc uses the chamber technique in their kicks so i wanted to know which you guys think is effective chambering or straight legged kicks or even the slightly bent leg technique?

Ok cause my muay thai instructor tells me to keep my leg straight when doing a roundhouse kick

But i jus wanted to get peoples oppinion on it i wasn't trying to get advice what does everybody else think is better

I like it bent.

As a side note, don't post here asking about a technique and then expect people to not give you advice.

I always preferred having a slight bend in the knee and having virtually no snap in the kick. It was the first way I was taught so I am probably biased, but I always felt that it had the most power and I could keep my arms in a guarded position when I threw. My current instructor likes me to chamber and snap the kick whilst bring the arm swinging down. I don't like this method but I do it anyway. It is a bit faster and more balanced though. In muay chaiya, the kick is done with a very bent knee though this is more because you are fighting in closer and the kick pushes the opponent out so you can flow your other attacks off it.

Ok cause my muay thai instructor tells me to keep my leg straight when doing a roundhouse kick

just google Muay Thai roundhouse and click on "images"...no one is kicking with a fully straight leg.

By straight leg, most people mean stiff leg with very little knee extension.

bent knee makes it easier to rotate the hips and get more power, but straight leg gets to the target faster

2 different techniques for 2 different kicks. Sure, they're both "roundhouse kicks", but it's just like how a ball peen hammer and a sledge hammer are both "hammers". They each have their time and place.

Back