Chael Sonnen signs deal to serve as MMA analyst for WSOF

FORXREAL

Insert Belt
@purple
Reaction score
chael-sonnen-..jpg

The World Series of Fighting on Tuesday hired ex-UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen as an analyst for its NBC Sports Network television broadcasts. He will debut in his new job on Sept. 18 for WSOF 23 from Phoenix, when Justin Gaethje defends his lightweight belt in a rematch against Luis Palomino.

Sonnen's broadcast career began while he was still an active fighter in the UFC, not long after the UFC began its deal with Fox in 2012. Sonnen was the host of UFC Tonight and became very popular for his in-studio work.

But Sonnen failed multiple drug tests prior to a planned fight last year in Las Vegas against Wanderlei Silva, and lied about it repeatedly. Both the UFC and Fox cut ties with him.

In November, ESPN hired Sonnen to serve as a part-time MMA analyst. He's done studio analysis on all of the big fights since the deal was done.

Sonnen praised the WSOF and the quality of its fighters in a statement.

no one should be giving him a job

and won't be long before WSOF goes bankrupt anyway

no one should be giving him a job

and won't be long before WSOF goes bankrupt anyway

People have been saying that since WSOF started and no one ever admits they were wrong when yet another year passes by and they keep adding shows. WSOF has cards coming up in September, October & November including a lightweight one-night tournament that sounds really fun if it comes off. Nothing lasts forever, but all the wannabe Nostradamus's keep erring in predicting the WSOF's imminent demise.

He's good at talking in an interesting way. Great job for him.

That sucks. I was hoping Chael would be Trump's VP.

Atleast Bas is gone but Todd Harris is still there so it still isnt good.

But I'd rather listen to cheesy sonnen than Bas.

I like it. Chael is always fun to listen to. With his wrestling stuff, ESPN, podcast and now this. Filled his schedule pretty quick.

WSOF is desperate.

I like it. Thought him and Jim Ross did a great job together.

People have been saying that since WSOF started and no one ever admits they were wrong when yet another year passes by and they keep adding shows. WSOF has cards coming up in September, October & November including a lightweight one-night tournament that sounds really fun if it comes off. Nothing lasts forever, but all the wannabe Nostradamus's keep erring in predicting the WSOF's imminent demise.

Not only that but their recent signing spree

Haven't fighters been complaining about getting fights, trying to get out of contracts and calling Ali douchy since they first started also?

Haven't fighters been complaining about getting fights, trying to get out of contracts and calling Ali douchy since they first started also?

Sure, there are always some disgruntled fighters who say they aren't treated right and didn't get the amount of promised fights they expected, many probably complaining with good merit. That's a different thing though from all the people saying for the last few years that the WSOF is about to fold up any day now.They keep predicting it and it keeps not quite happening yet, which pleases me as a fan. I like having a major tv network like NBC with NBC Sports having a regular commitment to live pro MMA broadcasts. I'm quite excited about their upcoming cards, especially the one night lightweight eight man tournament if that actually comes off.

Sure, there are always some disgruntled fighters who say they aren't treated right and didn't get the amount of promised fights they expected, many probably complaining with good merit. That's a different thing though from all the people saying for the last few years that the WSOF is about to fold up any day now.They keep predicting it and it keeps not quite happening yet, which pleases me as a fan. I like having a major tv network like NBC with NBC Sports having a regular commitment to live pro MMA broadcasts. I'm quite excited about their upcoming cards, especially the one night lightweight eight man tournament if that actually comes off.

I paid close attention last January, cause, according to the chatter, WSOF should have closed then. Not only have they signed new fighters, WSOF hired a new CEO a month ago, and a new CFO this week.

Back