Chael Sonnen on Romero "always looks tired but its part of his gimmick"

Bumblebeef

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
"....thats just a part of where he comes. i can name cuban athlete after cuban athlete. they do that. thats a rope a dope, the constant rope a dope but they still got more in the tank and they do waiting for something."

He wasn’t rope a doping Whitaker in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Romero's "terrible cardio" is one of the biggest canards in MMA.

He has a ton of third round finishes and was still competitive with Whittaker until the closing bell even though the tide turned in their fight.

Not saying that he doesn't clearly slow down after the first 7 minutes, but he's always fucking dangerous.

Yeah, they wait for a couple minutes more of sitting on the chair.

He wasn’t rope a doping Whitaker in the 4th and 5th rounds.

No, but he didn't get totally crushed either. If his cardio was a bad as people make out, he would have been finished by someone like Whittaker.

Romero's "terrible cardio" is one of the biggest canards in MMA.

He has a ton of third round finishes and was still competitive with Whittaker until the closing bell even though the tide turned in their fight.

Not saying that he doesn't clearly slow down after the first 7 minutes, but he's always fucking dangerous.

even a gassed romero is a serious threat, just look what happened to tim Kennedy, even with all that Stoolgate stuff.

He does get tired but he's excellent at making his opponents fight at his pace and making the most of everything he does so he essentially maximizes the limited energy that he has

Great strategy, more guys could really learn from it

Plus and this is important... he's fucking 40 lol

He naturally doesn't have that great cardio (obviously) but he paces himself very well.

tenor.gif

"....thats just a part of where he comes. i can name cuban athlete after cuban athlete. they do that. thats a rope a dope, the constant rope a dope but they still got more in the tank and they do waiting for something."

He is right though. Romero is a very explosive athlete that normally only has 3 round fights to worry about. Conserving energy he already does to the best of his ability but depending on how much his opponent pushes him will determine his energy level going forward. He did well with his cardio going the full 5 rounds against Whittaker. He obviously started to run out of gas after the 3rd but thats natural for someone whos used to 3 round fights. That was the first full 5 round fight he had I believe. I could be wrong on that but if it is he did what he could for the freak athlete he is. He isnt an Ngannou that burns out after a round.

He did really good against Whittaker. Look at Jacare who’s a beast but got finished by Robert

Clearly Romero tends to slow down in fights, like any fast twitch explosive fighter. I do think the stigma of him having terrible cardio is definitely over stated though. I was actually surprised at the 5 round pace he was able to keep against Whittaker, even though he was noticeably tired in the later rounds.

Cause Romero just playin in there. When you "score" on him he simply yawns.

Pretty scary that a dude can take that philosophy he used in his wrestling days and apply it to MMA. It has to be the most demoralizing shit in the world mentally. He gets you in that false sense of security, then takes you out.

Yoel looks like he just busted a nut is because he's all natural.

was chael sonnen right?
does romero faked being "tired" against rockhold?

Back