• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Chael Sonnen: 'No one wants to see Islam vs Oliveira rematch. Neither do fighters'

Because the guy on a one fight win streak that lost to the champ has finished everyone else immediately in line.

Gaethje finished Poirier, so should he get the shot? Charles finished both of them.

Charles lost to Islam, he doesn't sit out for a rematch, he finishes Dariush.

I'm not saying that Charles should unequivocally get the title shot. But as far as rematches go, this is far from controversial.
I didn't mean to suggest the rematch is controversial... it isn't. I meant to suggest it isn't the most compelling.

In other words, I don't see how this is a hill that anyone wants to die on (promoting OR attacking a title shot for Charles). There's just not much there.

Dariush was the most compelling LW title shot by a large margin. But the UFC didn't want him to fight for the title after 8 wins. So we got a bullshit "try to derail Beneil, and if Charles wins he is in limbo" matchup instead which was worse for literally everyone involved.

PERSONALLY now I'd prefer a rematch of Charles/Dustin, then if Charles wins he is more compelling. Not that I think Justin or Arman are entirely deserving of fighting for the title before Charles. Just that we just saw Islam/Charles last year so I'm not itching for it. I'll get lambasted for it, but honestly I find Islam fighting at WW more compelling than any of his top LW match-ups as of today.

Because the guy on a one fight win streak that lost to the champ has finished everyone else immediately in line.

Gaethje finished Poirier, so should he get the shot? Charles finished both of them.

I'm not saying that Charles should unequivocally get the title shot. But as far as rematches go, this is far from controversial.
Gaethje didn't just finish Poirier, he's also on a 2 fight win streak after beating Fiziev and is a fresh matchup for Islam to boot. The combination of all of that means he has a stronger case than Oliveira (already got demolished by Islam and has only 1 win). If Charles weren't so popular and didn't have such a noisy fanbase this wouldn't be seen as 50/50 it would go to Gaethje hands down. Personally i'd rather see Arman get the shot than either of those guys because its the most interesting matchup, but obviously that won't happen so give it to Gaethje.

I have little interest in see Islam and Charles running it back... It was a lopsided fight, I would much rather watch Islam vs Justin. Probably wouldn't watch Islam vs Charles until there is a chance of it being a competitive fight..

Oh and Chael Bless =D

Chael looks like he's been sitting in the sun too much.

PERSONALLY now I'd prefer a rematch of Charles/Dustin, then if Charles wins he is more compelling. Not that I think Justin or Arman are entirely deserving of fighting for the title before Charles. Just that we just saw Islam/Charles last year so I'm not itching for it. I'll get lambasted for it, but honestly I find Islam fighting at WW more compelling than any of his top LW match-ups as of today.
Why on earth Charles vs. Dustin rematch? I’m genuine asking and trying to understand, because it makes zero sense for me. Justin finished Dustin and Charles finished them both.
I can see that some people want to see Charles vs. Justin2 for the BMF belt, or Charles vs. Arman for 1. contender, but Dustin?

But I agree 100% that, he should go up, fight men his size and not keep the 155 belt as hostage. That is much more exciting and fair from a pure sports perspective.
Lets be real, Oliveira fanboys are the only ones jonesing for a Mak-Olive rematch. Neutral fans prefer Gaethje and now even Arman over that.
Strange, I got the feeling that only a certain fanbase wants the Justin fight, but I might be wrong.

I don't care who islam fights next, as long as it's a top ranked Lightweight and it gets booked soon.

I do like Charles and have no problem with him getting a rematch -- he was on one of the best LW runs ever just two fights ago and is now coming off a big win.

Strange, I got the feeling that only a certain fanbase wants the Justin fight, but I might be wrong.
I think you'd be wrong. I think Justin has a better chance than oliveria. moosaev is a dagastani sperm slurper and he doesnt hide it, but oliveria got ran the fuck over by islam not long ago. I can see what you mean as islam would be favoured heavy over gaethje but as a gaethje fan i think he's earned his last crack at the lw title. I dont even like islam much, but oliveria is a gimme for him.

I don't really want to see the rematch either. I mean, I'd love to see Charles get the belt back because he's the champion the just bleed god's deserve, but I suspect Islam has surpassed him with his victory and Charles doesn't match well with him.

Islam and that style are not risk takers. Charles needs someone who takes risks for his finish-first style.

I don't. It's a waste of time. Maybe the Volk rematch would've been worth it. Olivera needs to beat more than Dariush, probably Gamrot or Arman. Someone who can wrestle and grind him down.

He had a second chance, but was dumb enough to spar without a helmet and got injured a week before the fight... Too bad. <Fedor23>

What the fuck is he talking about? Who is this mysterious person who wants to see the fight?

I like the way you said this. No agenda or trolling.

Charles is absolutely worthy of a shot at the Champion when you view the actual landscape of the division.

Literally the only good response on this thread.

What kinda drugs is this man on now? He looks like he’s ready to die in the next year or two.
I have had a long suspicion it's cocaine and the unhealthy toll of trying to keep all his lies straight.

Back