Chad Mendes - officially the most underrated fighter on Sherdog

Kelman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Chad Mendes is fast becoming the most ludicrously underrated fighter on here.

The guy shows tremendous technical and physical abilities in a nip & tuck 5-round war with one of the very, very best fighters in history...

...and yet now everyone acts like he is some Chris Cariaso style mediocre title challenger who got swept aside and is now irrelevant.

Some questions I am now pondering:

- Why was Alexander Gustafsson elevated to the status of a champion by his war with Jon Jones, but Chad Mendes seems totally diminished by comparison, despite achieving a very similar feat of pushing a p4p king to the brink?

- Do people seriously, seriously think that Chad Mendes couldn't blow through the likes of Siver and Poirier and Brandao with alarming ease just like Conor has? Mendes is light years ahead of these three guys too.

- Mendes' striking seems to be particularly overlooked and underrated just now. Why is this? Simply because he is known as a wrestler primarily? Mendes' boxing-for-MMA is excellent, and the way he feints TDs means he lands a good proportion of his shots. Have people forgotten that Mendes was finally THE man to properly TKO Clay Guida with strikes, after Anthony Pettis, Gray Maynard, Benson Henderson, Rafael dos Anjos, Takanori Gomi, Diego Sanchez, Nate Diaz, Gilbert Melendez and Josh Thomson had all failed to do so!!

Don't believe the hype. If Aldo can beat Edgar and Mendes, then he sure beats a guy who has never fought past the third round and has never faced one top 5 fighter in his life. And I'd imagine both Edgar and Mendes beat him too. They wouldn't stand and just let him take aim with his kicks the way this lesser opposition has.

I'd like to see some specific examples of Mendes being underrated.

Most people have him and Edgar as being at the top of the food chain at FW under Aldo.

Conor getting attention does not equal Mendes being underrated.

What are you talking about? Everyone thinks Mendes is top 3. Most agree he'd dominate everyone par Edgar and Aldo. How he would match up with Edgar is particularly intriguing. Watching him tear apart mcgoober would be entertaining as well.

No way. Fedor by a LONG shot. He gets so much hate from new fans that never even heard of Pride but he would DOMINATE UFC today if he wanted to. Luckily for Dana he doesn't want to.

Shogun is a close second. He's a top 5 fighter who had a few robberies go against him and now Sherdog treats him like he's some can.

Al Iaquinta is pretty underrated. Mini Weidman will put striking clinic on JLau

I don't think he's underrated; it's just hard to get excited about a guy who's lost to the current champ twice.

Have people forgotten that Mendes was finally THE man to properly TKO Clay Guida with strikes, after Anthony Pettis, Gray Maynard, Benson Henderson, Rafael dos Anjos, Takanori Gomi, Diego Sanchez, Nate Diaz, Gilbert Melendez and Josh Thomson had softened him up!!

Fixed it.

I don't think people underrate him as much as you think.

Mendes is a champion-level fighter & finisher.
He would've been champion that night Aldo & him had a rematch
if he had fought ANYONE else, besides Aldo, himself.

I think the true most underrated fighter on sherdog is
probably Charles Oliveira

- Why was Alexander Gustafsson elevated to the status of a champion by his war with Jon Jones, but Chad Mendes seems totally diminished by comparison, despite achieving a very similar feat of pushing a p4p king to the brink?

Because Chad was brutally finished early on in their first fight, Gus had a very close fight with Jon. That is the difference. Also, Chad sure did beat lesser competition in the same way Conor did afterwards, but lost to Aldo again. He had his chance. No one underestimates him, he's one of the best of his division, but below Aldo.

No way. Fedor by a LONG shot. He gets so much hate from new fans that never even heard of Pride but he would DOMINATE UFC today if he wanted to. Luckily for Dana he doesn't want to.

Shogun is a close second. He's a top 5 fighter who had a few robberies go against him and now Sherdog treats him like he's some can.

couldn't agree more +1

Anderson Silva, Ronda Rousey, and Jon Jones are all really underrated too

Gustafsson arguably won that fight. He broke Jones both physically and mentally. Whilst Mendes pushed Aldo to the limit, he clearly lost the fight on points. Stupid comparison. The first was a bad judges decision, the second was an ok decision.

- Do people seriously, seriously think that Chad Mendes couldn't blow through the likes of Siver and Poirier and Brandao with alarming ease just like Conor has? Mendes is light years ahead of these three guys too.

No. No and NO! Chad can't beat Siver, Poirier and Brandao like the GOAT did. He will have to work hard and even then I doubt he can knock them out in the first. In fact I will put real cash that he will not KO any of them.

Perhaps people are no fans of him, but no one can deny that he is proven second after Aldo.

mendes is great but not champion material

I'd like to see some specific examples of Mendes being underrated.

Most people have him and Edgar as being at the top of the food chain at FW under Aldo.

Conor getting attention does not equal Mendes being underrated.
And /thread

People think Mendes is a Cariaso type journeyman now?!

Right.

Isn't it because he had a bad performance with a sinus infection against Lentz and he got dropped by aldo so he can't be any good. I say he is number two still.

Back