Chad Mendes divisional standing?

Riki Newton

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
I didn't follow who replaced who or anything for this fight, but why do they keep putting Mendes in there with guys he will obviously murk? Chad is one of the best guys at 145 I don't see why he keeps fighting lower-echelon guys when he should only get up out of bed for top 10'ers at least.

Someone offer an explanation?

Also, where do you see Mendes in the division? Who should he fight next?

Last edited:
he was going to fight Hacran Dias who is a highly regarded fighter 'round these parts but he got injured. So its not like the UFC is padding his record. They're just keeping a very talented guy busy

he was going to fight Hacran Dias who is a highly regarded fighter 'round these parts but he got injured. So its not like the UFC is padding his record. They're just keeping a very talented guy busy

Ah okay I knew it was a late replacement but not for who. Hacran would have been a good fight I remember being pretty impressed with him at UFC 147.

Not sure why the lower-level guys are agreeing to/asking for Chad. I get that beating him would be a launch to stardom in the division but still he's a high risk opponent considering he's pretty damn consistent with a smothering top game and good power

Someone shouted something during Mendes' fight tonight and the crowd laughed. Any idea what that person said?

Mendes-Hacran, KZ, the Hioki-Guida winner, Nunes-Lentz winner, Poirier-Brookins winner, or Siver-Swanson winner should be next for him. Any of those fights make fairly good sense, ranking-wise, and would be probably pretty entertaining.

Ah okay I knew it was a late replacement but not for who. Hacran would have been a good fight I remember being pretty impressed with him at UFC 147.

Not sure why the lower-level guys are agreeing to/asking for Chad. I get that beating him would be a launch to stardom in the division but still he's a high risk opponent considering he's pretty damn consistent with a smothering top game and good power

Taking a short notice fight against someone on short notice who has a high chance of beating you is a good way for a relatively unknown fighter to get in the UFC. They usually get a second fight, and better match up with more training time even if they lose. Its like a fast track to a contract.

Mendes is top 5 FW IMO. I'd like to see him still fight Dias only to see who is the superior grappler. I like the idea of him facing the winner of Poirier/Brookins as well. I dont wanna see him vs KZ. KZ is comming off a long layoff & I see Mendes grinding out a UD victory. I think the UFC still wants to setup a title fight with KZ. Not cause its a competitive fight but because its most likely the largest money making FW title fight after Aldo vs Edgar.

FW is loaded with talent. Aldo, Edgar, KZ, Mendes, Siver, Lamas, Nunes, Swanson, Hioki and Koch. That's a solid top 10 deep.

Not many UFC divisions can go 10 deep that solid.

If nothing else at least it's been good for his highlight reel and saved the division from losing any contenders to a guy that the champ has fairly recently defeated.

I'm hoping to see him against a strong grappler in his next fight, like the originally scheduled Dias fight, the Guida-Hioki winner, or maybe even Mike Brown.

Back