Casein or Whey in morning shake?

Btwestyo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have 2 questions. First, in my morning shake would you reccommend casein or whey? This isnt for a pre or post workout and I just drink a shake every morning. Or is a supplemental protein not even necessary? Btw my Morning shake consists:

1 cup of 2% milk (for bulking)
1 Scoop of either ON or Muscle Milk
1 Cup of Oatmeal
2 TBSP Flaxseed
Little bit of mixed nuts
1 cup of frozen berries
1 serving of Greens+
couple TBSP of yogurt

Second: Is pure whey like ON Whey even necessary compared to casein/whey blends like muscle milk. Lot of sources are saying that a blend is better than whey alone. Since I have both ON Whey and Muscle Milk it would be nice to reduce this to 1 protein supplement if 1 isnt really necessary. Thanks

Since your body is normally in a protein deprived state, especially after a full night's sleep, I would go with whey alone. I don't like any fat or fiber with a morning shake since it slows digestion.

Why no fat or fiber? Does that mean I should cut out the flaxseed because that contains a lot of unsatured fats and lots of fiber. Also I take muscle milk at bed so my body is usually not in a deprived state of protein.

If you're "bulking" or going for a balanced breakfast, either one is fine. My point was that if you sleep 4-8 hrs, your body is naturally going into a depleted state, (think about going 8 hrs without eating during the day). I would want to get protein into my body ASAP, which is why I would choose whey, or even egg whites. Fat/fiber slow that digestion, which again, is why it wouldn't be my choice until my 2nd meal of the day. I think we're talking science vs. practicality. Just my two cents.

I don't know about fat/fiber slowing digestion being true or not. I need to do some research there. However, it wouldn't really matter if you take some casein immediately before you go to bed.

I've taken both casein and whey in the mornings and I've taken with and without fat/fiber. I don't have a preference as far as whey or casein goes because I eat again in another three hours anyway. However, I definitely like my shakes better with fat/fiber in them.

If you're "bulking" or going for a balanced breakfast, either one is fine. My point was that if you sleep 4-8 hrs, your body is naturally going into a depleted state, (think about going 8 hrs without eating during the day). I would want to get protein into my body ASAP, which is why I would choose whey, or even egg whites. Fat/fiber slow that digestion, which again, is why it wouldn't be my choice until my 2nd meal of the day. I think we're talking science vs. practicality. Just my two cents.

I knew what your point was in your first post. I didn't argue it, nor is it anything new to me. Science vs. practicality? Maybe. Unless someone plans on eating their 2nd meal 30 minutes after their first meal, your recommendation loses a lot of weight. Anyone's goal should be to keep a steady flow of nutrients throughout the day. Just taking whey protein and carbs void of fiber isn't going to get you to meal number 2 in most cases.

I also think that the big picture isn't looked at enough. Solid nutrition over the course of the entire day is what will have the most impact on a person's goals. Getting protein to your body a few minutes earlier in the morning isn't going to significantly impact things. Lastly, it's not like fiber and fat stop absorption of aminos and glucose until some later time. They merely slow the absorption down which means you're still getting amino and glucose into your blood stream at the same starting point... it's just the rate is slowed and extended over a longer time period.

thanks guys so I geuss Ill stack MM with Milk and the other ingredients in my morning shake. M y goal is to bulk considering I am only 5'6" 127 lbs. I geuss theres really no point for me to buy ON whey anymore considering MM is a casein/whey blend?

MM is about 60% casein and 40% whey, last I heard.

The nice thing about straight whey protein is that it mixes really well without a blender, it

if customs in Australia wasnt retarded I would live at true protien.

I recommend blends too, as Monger suggested. Blends in general, are better than straight whey mixes.

I often end up mixing whey with casien, or whey in with my milk if I want to blend it up and have some form of protien absorbtion going on in my body post my most recent intake of whey.

~Foz

if customs in Australia wasnt retarded I would live at true protien.

I recommend blends too, as Monger suggested. Blends in general, are better than straight whey mixes.

I often end up mixing whey with casien, or whey in with my milk if I want to blend it up and have some form of protien absorbtion going on in my body post my most recent intake of whey.

~Foz

I third that. I'm working on a breakfast concoction that is going to include milk protein isolate as the only protein supplement. It is basically a blend of casein and whey, mostly casein.

Back