Carlson Gracie, Copacabana

Hey man, quick question for you. I know you trained at several academies in Rio during your time there. If you were doing a longer term stay (6+ months). Would you recommend training at several places (a month here, a month there) or would you stay and train under one professor for the entire time.

Also (and you may not want to answer this) where did you have the best experience? In other words if you had to choose just one to train at, which one would it be? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to say publicly. Advice much appreciated!

Hellboy

Happy to speak on here dude :icon_chee

I trained mainly at Gordo's, because I was hooked up at Connection Rio and the house is one block from Gordo's. Getting to Ipanema and Copacabana is a bit of a drag on the buses, the traffic there is horrendous!

For a 6 month stay, I'd find one main place to stay and then visit other academies as and when you felt up for it. Being a BJJ addict, it's hard to pinpoint one club that was the best, they all have something to offer, amazing black belts at every academy, you are really spoiled for choice!

I would settle in at Gordo's, have that as your base and then visit other academies, there are plenty of guys staying at Connection Rio that will be more than happy to tag along and visit other clubs :icon_chee

Try them all and immerse yourself in BJJ!!!

TFP

Thanks for the feedback, man! I'm definitely leaning towards Gordo's and the connection Rio route but I have a few friends around Zona Sul and have heard it's a pain in the ass to get out there from Barra.

Definitely appreciate the insight though! Did you check out Nova Uniao when you were there? Sorry if it's been answered in your blogs, I've been meaning to check them out but haven't gotten around to it yet.

My pleasure to help Hellboy; Gordo's and CR are in the safer areas of Rio and yes getting about to other places can be a pain, but if you arrange the trips with a few guys half the fun is actually getting there!

As for Nova Uniao, I was due to go on my last day there but got a throat infection and didn't want to make it worse; the guys I stayed with went and they had an awesome time, make sure you go when you get there :icon_chee:icon_chee

TFP

Back