Carla Esparza On Felice Herrig's Loss To Paige VanZant

I see people dismissing the pressures of TUF, but now all three fighters to have fought since the TUF finale have now been upset (at least according to most rankings) by non TUF fighters. It's easy to dismiss them all as hypejobs/whiners but perhaps this TUF was different than most. I dont know if I merely paid more attention than usual, but there did seem to be a lot more media for TUF 20, and I dont know if fighting for the title versus fighting for a contract is more or less stressful, but it's definitely different.

Don't be so poetic. They do it for the money. If it's so hard they can apply for other jobs elsewhere.

Don't be so ignorant and cynical. If you think that women got into doing professional mma--especially back before there was wmma in the ufc--because of the lure of good money to be made, or because they couldn't get better money doing something else, you are delusional.

no she won't she'll be very similar to bayszler. talks a lot of shit but doesn't perform on the big stage

For the people asking why she still has a pic of her with the belt:-

For the people asking why she still has a pic of her with the belt:-

Funny considering she said you're not a true champion unless you defend your belt.

If someone else did this she'd be calling them out.

Counterpoint #3: Everybody who has followed her from TUF knows she was mediocre on the show, and since then has specialized in trash talk and eating $1,000 brownies. I'm pretty sure the real Felice showed up.

To be fair Felice was a mediocre reality tv fighter way before TUF. I remember her being mediocre in fight girls back in early 2000. Michele Waterson was also terrible in that show, but she at least took the time to improve a lot and become a champ.

I couldn't read her comments since I'm at work. But man, I have to say I love the lack of white knights in this thread. Everyone just ripped her a new asshole.

I couldn't read her comments since I'm at work. But man, I have to say I love the lack of white knights in this thread. Everyone just ripped her a new asshole.

There's no point in arguing with a bunch of idiots.
Shertards were hating on Esparza for the most idiotic things in TUF.

Funny considering she said you're not a true champion unless you defend your belt.

If someone else did this she'd be calling them out.
lmao. please quick someone tweet her this :D
I want to feel a lil bad for her but mannnn did she rub me in the wrong way with her exchange with randa on TUF. Karma is sweeter than that Golden sundae. poor carla though lol.

I agree with Carla on this particular issue.

I would agree with her if she had never said you're not a true champion unless you defend your belt.

I mean, yeah, people can grow/evolve/change their minds ... but it's just a bit pathetic that folks have so little ability to empathize with others that they only change their minds when they literally experience what those other people experience.

Right now she's saying "I earned this belt" but before she earned it she couldn't conceive that other non-defending former champions also earned the belt ?

lmao. please quick someone tweet her this :D
I want to feel a lil bad for her but mannnn did she rub me in the wrong way with her exchange with randa on TUF. Karma is sweeter than that Golden sundae. poor carla though lol.

Karma? Esparza became the Champion. Randa is not even close to a title shot.

By the way. You don't need to feel bad for her. She doesn't need it.

they should go cry over some ice cream.

just not a 1000 dollars worth.

I would agree with her if she had never said you're not a true champion unless you defend your belt.

I mean, yeah, people can grow/evolve/change their minds ... but it's just a bit pathetic that folks have so little ability to empathize with others that they only change their minds when they literally experience what those other people experience.

Right now she's saying "I earned this belt" but before she earned it she couldn't conceive that other non-defending former champions also earned the belt ?

I have no problem with you mocking her for saying that.

Still, if I were her I would remain very proud of that belt. I would probably try to mount it on the front of my car somehow.

hughes_chopper35.jpg

Man, the haters are just out of hand. Felice fought well in the first round and was showing better striking than Paige, but Paige was far better in the clinch, so Felice's corner told her to stay on the outside and box, and what did she do? Clinched lol. She didn't listen to her corner and that's why rounds 2 and 3 were so lopsided.

It does create an odd dilemma. On one hand the only way to try to gauge someone is against their peers. Although normally whoever is in the public eye is part of an elite group where the standards are very high so mistakes stick out. On the other hand we really have no frame of reference. Or how hard their peers are working not to make those mistakes and how they can still happen anyway. The old saying about walking a mile in someone else's shoes has always been a good one.

Fans have always judged things normally outside their scope. When someone doesn't pick up a receiver in the NFL I could not tell you anything about the scheme they ran or how easy it may have been to confuse the play and blow the coverage. Although I think it just goes with the territory of being a fan. We all normally assume we know more than we do. Most is probably harmless fun but it is worth considering, especially on more important stuff that we really don't know what someone is dealing with.

I am kind of ambivalent on the issue but you are a good guy Eddy. I have always enjoyed your take on things

Peace

thanks for the kind words and taking the time to give a thoughtful response.

I will admit that my original comments were mostly just me being pissy. I just hate the cliche of "you can't do what I do and so you shouldn't have an opinion".

Your points are well taken.

:icon_chee

Back