Cardio problems

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Most of the jiu jitsu sessions are usually pretty tough but I find I generally find them less so after a while. Lately I have been gassing way too quickly both in sparring and warm ups.

I am not sure if it is due to over training (I have been training more recently) but I don't have the other signs of over training that have happened to me in the past. When I over trained in the past the following things would happen

1) Unmotivated to train.
2) Unable to concentrate.
3) Lethargic
4) Decrease in weight

None of those things have been happening to me so I don't understand why I am gassing faster than usual.

Anyone had a similar problem and how did you overcome it?

Maybe if you get motivated again the rest will take care of itself... you're the only one who can take care of that.

I was like that my first couple of weeks of BJJ classes but then I started doing 60 minutes of high instensity cardio 5 times a week and it has done wonders.I don't even breath heavy after a class now.

Could you be sick? Do you eat enough before training? Is the weather hotter? My gym likes to keep it very warm inside, and this naturally leads to a diminished ability to train as hard.

Maybe if you get motivated again the rest will take care of itself... you're the only one who can take care of that.

I am motivated, that is partly why my situation now is different from when I overtrained in the past where I did become unmotivated.

Its the gassing more quickly than before for no discernible reason.

you get dehydrated as well? you might be sick or something

I had the same problem. Started gassing earlier and couldn't figure out why until I realized that as I got more experienced, I was rolling with better training partners and they were going harder on me. Possible in your situation?

One simple measure of general health is you're resting heart rate. If you're not in the 40's to mid 50's you could probably work on more conditioning. Good conditioning is a combination of two things; oxygen supply (heart), oxygen utilization( muscles). You need to figure out what conditioning problem you actually have. Is your heart supplying enough oxygen, or are your muscles not utilizing the oxygen sufficiently? Grappling can be very taxing to the muscles because you're constantly working against a person's body weight, so my guess would be a problem in your muscular endurance.

getting plenty of sleep, five or six small meals, incorporate three or four slow paced runs two or three days a week AFTER training. drinking atleast a gallon of water a day has all helped me tremendously.

also never sit out of a rolling session. yeah you might not be able to move but so what.. you tap and your partner pushes you past you further than you would push yourself.

also if your really concerned a quick visit to the doctor might be in order. it might be a sign something is wrong with you physically.

I checked my resting heart rate, it was 46 which seems relatively normal for the amount of exercise I do.

I think it might have something to do with my diet and sleeping patterns. I have been finding it harder to sleep recently and have been drinking less water throughout the day (except during training where I have been much more thirsty than usual and going through much more water).

Cheers for the advice guys.

its proberbly just the work load maybe try light joging or even 200-400m sprints

Back