Car mechanic bros GTFIH - Why do I not get any hot air inside my car?

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So I'll say that 4-5 months ago I had an issue with my internal blend door. Basically no matter what I turned my cool/heat dial too it was burning hot air! Somehow the door was stuck open (or maybe closed?).

Now it seems like no matter what I do I get the air temp of whatever the outside air is. Though I can make it colder if I hit the AC button. I can't get any hot hot air unless it's warm outside, even then the air is only warm.

I do not believe it's the heater core b/c I don't have any condensation inside my car and nothing smells in there.
I checked the engine coolant and the reservoir seems fine. (It's a VW Passat so I don't see any way to check the radiator, only the reservoir bulb).
I'm wondering if the blend door got re-stuck closed (or maybe open?)?

Blend door is stuck again. Or the heater core is plugged and not enough fluid is flowing through it.

can try reverse flushing the core, but I’m betting on blend door again.

Blend door is stuck again. Or the heater core is plugged and not enough fluid is flowing through it.

can try reverse flushing the core, but I’m betting on blend door again.

Thanks man! I was just trying to find stuff online and saw something about the heater core being plugged. I guess I have to try to find the hoses going from the heater core area into the cabin and see if they feel warm once the car warms up?

My car sat for like 7-10 days b/c I don't drive it much these days and one day I get in and just no hot air. I'm hoping the copmany that fixed my blend door a few months ago has some warranty or something. This is some BS here.

And the ironic part is during the summer, the blend door got stuck so it was only hot air in my car. And now that it's winter/fall the blend door seems to be stuck so only cold air comes into my car. I mean....come on!!

if your heater core is plugged (doubtful), one hose that comes off of it will stay cold. My money is on the blend door.

So I'll say that 4-5 months ago I had an issue with my internal blend door. Basically no matter what I turned my cool/heat dial too it was burning hot air! Somehow the door was stuck open (or maybe closed?).

Now it seems like no matter what I do I get the air temp of whatever the outside air is. Though I can make it colder if I hit the AC button. I can't get any hot hot air unless it's warm outside, even then the air is only warm.

I do not believe it's the heater core b/c I don't have any condensation inside my car and nothing smells in there.
I checked the engine coolant and the reservoir seems fine. (It's a VW Passat so I don't see any way to check the radiator, only the reservoir bulb).

More then likely it is the actuator that is broken. It happened to my old car. It is an easy fix after visiting Youtube, I ordered the part and put it in. Then boom heat when I turned the hot/cold dial.

If you do reverse flush the heater core don’t go nuts with the pressure. They are fairly easy to blow out.

It's either the blend door or the actuator.

Both are intentionally built with shitty parts for planned obsolescence.

Car companies want you to buy a new car but if they make shitty engines it will damage their reputation. So they make shitty creature comfort things instead so you'll feel like you want a new car because this ones getting old

Thanks man! I was just trying to find stuff online and saw something about the heater core being plugged. I guess I have to try to find the hoses going from the heater core area into the cabin and see if they feel warm once the car warms up?

A non-contact thermometer would be ideal to use for this, but your hand will work alright too. If one hose is significantly hotter than the other, then there's a restriction or clog. Since you've already mentioned a blend door issue, I would assume that's the likely cause. There's probably yt videos that show how to test and repair the actuators and/or assemblies themselves(load of them are built cheaply and the actual doors break off from the case they're housed in).

@TheNinja Did you check to see if the heater hoses are warm yet.

I haven’t check but the weird thing is I started getting heat again today when I drove my car. Weird. I’m guessing it has to do with blend door stuck when my car sat for 2 weeks or something. Not sure.

I have an appointment for Friday but wondering if I should keep it or cancel it. I have extended warrranty that covers basically everything with $100 deductible so thinking of bringing it in anyway.

Back