Canelo vs Ryder May 6th DAZN PPV

Got my credentials a couple days ago and just booked my flight to Guadalajara. Probably not going to be a thrilling fight, but i thought it would be cool to see a canelo fight in mexico. looking forward to a rare fight attended outside of las vegas.
Very cool. Id imagine a Canelo fight in Mexico will be an amazing atmosphere.

A 7-5 fight can feel as competitive as a 9-3 fight. That’s the very nature of the scoring system. Of course if your usual point is to cry about the scoring then you will cry about it.

Exactly, technically if one guy wins 12 rounds to 0 it can still be considered a competitive fight, it's just one guy did slightly more each round. On the topic of Bivol vs Canelo though, i think i scored it 9-3 to Bivol. Canelo had moments and remained competitive throughout, but it was a clear Bivol win.

Very cool. Id imagine a Canelo fight in Mexico will be an amazing atmosphere.
That's exactly why we came. Obviously not a big name opponent, but it still should be pretty awesome at the venue. We got here yesterday, and definitely not impressed with the city. lol. just gonna hang out at the airbnb.

the weigh ins are in a few hours at a place called "throat cut theatre"

Exactly, technically if one guy wins 12 rounds to 0 it can still be considered a competitive fight, it's just one guy did slightly more each round. On the topic of Bivol vs Canelo though, i think i scored it 9-3 to Bivol. Canelo had moments and remained competitive throughout, but it was a clear Bivol win.
years ago when i was not too long into covering boxing, i recalled a fight just like this. Lanardo Tyner lost almost every round to Jessie Vargas. I got to become friends with Lanardo (and Jessie would eventually become my landlord). I always told him that was the closest lopsided fight i had ever seen. and he agreed. every round was super close and he just lost each barely (final scores 91-99 x3).

On a side note, lanardo fought Canelo in Mexico City when Canelo was coming up. He said that Canelo was on and off the scale quickly and his team was not allowed to see the scale. Of course if you remember, back then there was a lot of talk about things like this when it came to canelo

years ago when i was not too long into covering boxing, i recalled a fight just like this. Lanardo Tyner lost almost every round to Jessie Vargas. I got to become friends with Lanardo (and Jessie would eventually become my landlord). I always told him that was the closest lopsided fight i had ever seen. and he agreed. every round was super close and he just lost each barely (final scores 91-99 x3).

On a side note, lanardo fought Canelo in Mexico City when Canelo was coming up. He said that Canelo was on and off the scale quickly and his team was not allowed to see the scale. Of course if you remember, back then there was a lot of talk about things like this when it came to canelo

Nardo is the homie. He trained at Tocco's under Floyd Sr. for a while. If that dude were disciplined about training he would have been a World Champ. Loves to fight, not so much training lol. He was laughing at Canelo during that fight, too.

Nardo is the homie. He trained at Tocco's under Floyd Sr. for a while. If that dude were disciplined about training he would have been a World Champ. Loves to fight, not so much training lol. He was laughing at Canelo during that fight, too.
yea, it was impressive he went the distance with canelo in that altitude

he definitely was much more of a fighter than into training. He is still fighting. Just loves it too much. I got to know him when he was one of Floyd Jr's sparring partners. Always a smile on his face and good to everyone.

yea, it was impressive he went the distance with canelo in that altitude

he definitely was much more of a fighter than into training. He is still fighting. Just loves it too much. I got to know him when he was one of Floyd Jr's sparring partners. Always a smile on his face and good to everyone.

Agreed. I keep in touch with him on FB. I'm also friendly with Jessie. Had a few guys in his camps against Ali and Pacquiao

We already know the narrative, if Ryder does anything worth a damn in this fight, land a few good jabs, make canelo miss, land a hard punch or god forbid get an out of balance knock down, that's it, Canelo sucks, hype job, prime floyd would destroy, prime GGG would destroy, etc. etc. etc.

If Canelo goes on to destroy, well... we know how that's going to go here.

These fights bring absolutely nothing good for Canelo other than money and and an extra number on his wins column, it's literally one of the least interesting fights he could have and I hate how people start rationalizing it like "Oh ryder is not that bad! You guys are underestimating him!"

No we're fucking not, that dude looks like a deer in te headlights and in Mexico? Fuck, in Guadalajara? An average brit getting his biggest payday against Canelo in fucking Guadalajara?

Look I don't know Ryder enough, the dude may very well surprise me but this fight is giving me a Rocky Fielding kind of vibe, the "look tough and try hard until canelo lands a body shot so you can quit" kind of vibe

BUT HEY... if Ryder were somehow to win, it would be hillarious, the headlines in Mexico would be comical.

Why are we criticizing boxers for boxing? You know how in other threads people are lambasting "this generation" for not fighting enough...well when the previous generations "fought everyone" the majority of who they fought were no-hopers on paper.

And you know what? Occasionally they drop a decision to one of those no-hopers.

If anybody is entitled to a soft touch it's Canelo. Honestly, he's gone out of his way to fight a who's who in the sport, and it's his homecoming.

That said, he's not entitled to my $80 or whatever it is, so... best of luck, I hope it's an interesting fight.

Back