Canelo is currently the most interesting boxer at the moment

DeJulez

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Canelo Alvarez is at a spot that I believe should deserve the full attention of the sport.
No one person currently, has potentially, the most exciting next 12 months ahead of him.

Canelo Alvarez is without a doubt one of the most exciting fighters in boxing right now.
He can box, he can brawl, hes quicker than one would seem, and brings decent fire power.
He has good enough technical skill that he can hold his own on the outside if a fight turns into strictly a boxing match. But he also has very underrated footwork, timing and range. Hes exceptional at laying out vicious combinations at medium range as he closes the gap and gets inside where his size and power really come into play.
A great chin and frame leaves him able to use his power and really brawl with you in the inside.

Hes all around talented and I think will exceed in the next year to the top 5 of p4p boxers.

But whats really interesting is his potential matchmaking.

His fight with Erislandy Lara is set for July 12th. I expect Canelo to fully dominate this fight and end it around the 8th round.
His next fight, if all pieces fall together, will be Miguel Cotto on November 22nd in what would be a blockbuster fight.
That as well I expect Canelo to come out the victor in a great action fight with Canelo winning by stoppage.

But what would be set up for April 2015?

Canelo Alvarez vs Manny Pacquiao

Now heres the problem that I see arising from this.

First I think that no matter whether Cotto beats or loses to Martinez, I believe Cotto ends up fighting Canelo in November and adds another classic into the Mexico-Puerto Rico rivalry.

But what Pacquiao plans on doing at the end of the year is what troubles me.
Does Pacquiao vs Marquez V happen?
If so does Pac-man win? Does he lose?
If he loses is it all over for him?

What about Roach?
I think Roach pushes for this fight if Cotto gets beaten by Canelo.
I think Roach would love to have a crack at Canelo and collect some first hand experience facing him before throwing his #1 prized fighter at him, in what would be a very exciting fight.

But if this were to happen I would take Canelo to win all 3 setting up...

Floyd Mayweather vs Canelo Alvarez II.
Mayweather wins by a close SD and retires.
Canelo walks away as the new biggest star in boxing.

GGG is the most interesting is my bet

GGG is the most interesting is my bet

I would say GGG is at number 2 with a potential Chavez Jr or maybe even Sergio fights.

What I mainly wanted to point at is that Canelo's potential matchmaking is an A+.
Lara, Cotto, Pacquiao?

Thats better than anyone else when it comes to great exciting matches being made.
If he beats all 3 of them it would only make sense for a Mayweather-Canelo rematch.

I also got into him being visually exciting to watch, but with the matches hes bound on making, it seems it looks like hes taking the right steps to basically become boxings number #1 draw after Mayweather retires.

Facing Lara and then wanting to fight Cotto and Pacquiao is great.

Last edited:
I hope Lara beats him like Rigo beat Donaire.

He's interesting indeed. He will only get better. And by the exposure he gets at this moment he will become the new big face in boxing when Floyd finally leaves.

Agreed that GGG is another interesting boxer out there.

polar%20bear%20sleeping.jpg

I think you're heavily underestimating Lara, bud.

Canelo bores the shit out of me, just about every fight of his i've seen has been a snoozer. He's a good fighter but i dont ever see him becoming top 5 p4p.

And its hard for me to excited as you are for a Canelo vs Cotto or Pac matchup. Especially if Cotto gets beat down as expected on Sat.

Do people actually think pacqiaou would take this fight? I highly doubt it. Even if it does happen PAC would probably want it at 150 or something like that.

Canelo has said 'no more catchweights' after Mayweather punked him.
I'm not a fan of fighters who seem to fight within themselves, Canelo is too sedate for my taste and after a few rds when he realised Mayweather was on a different level skillwise he should have went Maidana on his ass; but alas he just resigned himself to his fate.

Love me some canelo! But with Pac and Floyd around, he can NEVER take off and by a legit superstar.

Canelo vs. Lara just got a whole lot more interesting.

There is no doubt that is the most important fight of the year now.

I didn't really phrase it right.

What I meant to really say is his future potential matchmaking is the most interesting right now in boxing.
While I did go into how he is visually appealing to see in the ring, some disagree, but I think hes exciting to watch.

But really this thread was about how he has the most interesting future possibly lined up.

If he beats Lara, and he will beat Lara, then it sets up an epic fight between him and Cotto. That'll be a huge ppv with the strong Mexican and Puerto Rican fan bases and their historic rivalry. If you're a Mexican legend or a Puerto Rican legend, its almost tradition to have to go through your Latino counterpart.
Canelo-Cotto will easily be the biggest fight in this rivalry since De La Hoya-Trinidad.
Cottos destruction of Sergio, just made this potential Canelo fight even bigger.

Before I skip over Lara, Lara-Canelo is a fight that many more hardcore fans wanted to see. Some people believe Lara has the technical aspects to beat Canelo and makes for an interesting fight, probably the most interesting fight of the year , at this point.

Then throw in the fact that Canelo-Pacquiao could potential happen in early 2015 if all things go well.

Lara, Cotto, Pacquiao.

I don't see any other fighter with a nice list of competition like that, in his future resume.

Back